Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Thunder Stroke 111 according to the “Indian Chieftain Specification Sheet” has a peak torque of 119.2 FT-LBS @ 3K RPM but no mention of HP. I found Dyno tests by Bryan Harley indicating that the 111 it to be around 73.33 HP @ 4.5K

My BMW R850R is rated at 75HP @ 7K+ RPM. Not quite Apples to Apples however they both average approximately 45 MPG, interesting.

The Stage 1 doesn’t seem to alter either Toque or HP but it sure sounds good!

Can’t wait until spring !!!

Reactions: Roll On and Gande

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I only have ten miles on my Chieftain so all I have is what people tell me what they are actually getting for gas millage. My type of riding consist of mostly ten MPH over and passing all trucks and buses including Prius' on the road. Ive been ridding a motorcycle for over 51 years and am very aware of my surroundings.

So being told what the bike should get and what I can realistic expect to get from folks who have actual gas mileage experience would be helpful. I'm not counting on the Stage 1 making any difference.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
45 MPG is BS. I was told low to mid 70's on HP stock on the Chiefs.
When I was in Sturgis we rode through the hills all day and I averaged 54 MPG. It's certainly attainable depending on how you ride.
Before Sturgis I was averaging around 38mpg. I started riding in the RPM range between 2000 and 3000 and my mileage went up to an average of 43.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I average 44-46 overall.

55 mph and less riding, it does about 49-51 mpg. A steady diet of 75+ mph and it drops down to around 40-42.

I have a touch over 5000 miles, stage 1 mufflers & download.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I average 44-46 overall.

55 mph and less riding, it does about 49-51 mpg. A steady diet of 75+ mph and it drops down to around 40-42.

I average 44-46 overall.

That's great! If I could that results I will be very happy-

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only have 600 miles on mine so far, but I keep records of every fill up with the aCar app (aCar - Car Management, Mileage - Android Apps on Google Play). I'm currently averaging 32, so you guys are doing way better than me. I drive back and forth to work every day (25 miles each way). Mostly freeway driving, though I'm taking more side roads than normal because I'm supposed to be varying the RPMs and gears through the break-in period.

I'm hoping after I do the 500 mile service (which I'm already late for) and stay on the freeway more, my mileage will go up, but I seriously doubt I'm going to get into the 40's like you guys are reporting. I'm not easy on the throttle. :)

Reactions: Roll On

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Fellas, I'm gonna try and find the loudest exhaust I can find. I'm told I need to get the motor returned or remapped. What does it cost to have the Power Commander 5 installed?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fellas, I'm gonna try and find the loudest exhaust I can find. I'm told I need to get the motor returned or remapped. What does it cost to have the Power Commander 5 installed?
I just did the pcv install myself. Its not to bad. Getting the fuel tank off is easy. The hardest part was getting the fuel injector plugs off. Once you see how they work its no big deal at all. Noticed a slight power increase down low and a noticeable crisper throttle. Looking at a new intake and bigger throttle body and then a good dyno tune.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I just did the pcv install myself. Its not to bad. Getting the fuel tank off is easy. The hardest part was getting the fuel injector plugs off. Once you see how they work its no big deal at all. Noticed a slight power increase down low and a noticeable crisper throttle. Looking at a new intake and bigger throttle body and then a good dyno tune.
Thanks, I just don't want to goof up.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Dirty Bird Concepts. Peace Pipes. I don't think you can get much louder and still have pipes on it. Dirty Bird Concepts

If you want to hear them. I think the V&H sound better...but you want loud.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I'm freaking thrilled you said the V & H's sound good, cuz the wife ordered them for me!!! I'm sure there will be things I can do it to get louder! The Dirty Bird sounds Great, but I love the look of dual exhausts. Thanks! You made my day! Hopefully I'll see UPS show up early.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Flaco, the V & H's also sound the most pleasing to me via web clips, but of course that doesn't convey loudness.

I don't care about loud, a little bit is welcome but I don't want to blast everybody. Tone on the other hand is important. Can you record a clip for us when you get yours installed, and comment about the volume?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts