Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 Roadmaster with about 6k miles on it since February seems to have a bit of trouble starting up. Sometimes it takes multiple cranks and goosing the throttle a bit before she starts running on her own. I searched the forums but didn’t come up with much of interest. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Guessing your battery is the culprit; as a first step check the battery connections are secure and the main earth to the frame, this is a common fault where they have not been securely tightened or vibrate loose. If its still no better get a volt meter and test the battery voltage before and during starting (drop test), voltage should be around 13.

Even though the bike is low milage, the battery could have been in it for a year sat in a showroom or at home with no maintenance charge, resulting in it not holding the charge. I believe Indian only guarantee a battery for six months.

I had a similar issue on my 18 RM and a new battery sorted it, you can buy the same battery from a motor factor much cheaper than from Indian, look at the OEM battery part number on the battery (not the Polaris part no) and you can buy the exact same battery the only difference being it does not say Polaris on it and you avoid the "Polaris Tax".

Also I would question your starting procedure, there is no need to touch the throttle, the on board electronics will take care of it, also you may or may not know that you should not hold the starter button down, just push and immediately release the button, the bike will continue to turn itself over until it starts without you holding the button in, if it does not start after about 3 secs it will stop by itself and you repeat the procedure.

Good luck with the above and let us know if you get it sorted.

·
Rider
1,569 Posts
Only asking to help troubleshoot. Are you letting the fuel pump prime? Turn the power on, gently push on the start switch until you feel it click then you hear the whine from the fuel pump then push in all the way. Make sure the battery connections are good and tight. Make sure you move the VCM out of the way and put a towel on it and watch the swing of the wrench if you touch the VCM while the wrenching on the battery you will short it out and they are about $600.00 new I think.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I’m letting the pump prime. Good advice about the vcm.

Only asking to help troubleshoot. Are you letting the fuel pump prime? Turn the power on, gently push on the start switch until you feel it click then you hear the whine from the fuel pump then push in all the way. Make sure the battery connections are good and tight. Make sure you move the VCM out of the way and put a towel on it and watch the swing of the wrench if you touch the VCM while the wrenching on the battery you will short it out and they are about $600.00 new I think.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I’ll check out the battery. I’m aware that the bike isn’t supposed to need a little throttle to start, but in this case it does. Rides perfectly fine once I get past that initial sluggishness. The issue is that it’s struggling to stay running after the starter gets it spinning.

Guessing your battery is the culprit; as a first step check the battery connections are secure and the main earth to the frame, this is a common fault where they have not been securely tightened or vibrate loose. If its still no better get a volt meter and test the battery voltage before and during starting (drop test), voltage should be around 13.

Even though the bike is low milage, the battery could have been in it for a year sat in a showroom or at home with no maintenance charge, resulting in it not holding the charge. I believe Indian only guarantee a battery for six months.

I had a similar issue on my 18 RM and a new battery sorted it, you can buy the same battery from a motor factor much cheaper than from Indian, look at the OEM battery part number on the battery (not the Polaris part no) and you can buy the exact same battery the only difference being it does not say Polaris on it and you avoid the "Polaris Tax".

Also I would question your starting procedure, there is no need to touch the throttle, the on board electronics will take care of it, also you may or may not know that you should not hold the starter button down, just push and immediately release the button, the bike will continue to turn itself over until it starts without you holding the button in, if it does not start after about 3 secs it will stop by itself and you repeat the procedure.

Good luck with the above and let us know if you get it sorted.

·
Rider
505 Posts
My '17 RM did the same thing, it started turning slower every time, finally took 2 or 3 tries to start. I had checked battery connection and replaced the battery. It turned out to be the starter itself. Had it replaced and starts better than new!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The starter was a concern of mine as well. I’d have expected some other electrical oddities if the battery wasn’t connected well or was growing weak.

My '17 RM did the same thing, it started turning slower every time, finally took 2 or 3 tries to start. I had checked battery connection and replaced the battery. It turned out to be the starter itself. Had it replaced and starts better than new!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’ll be polaris’ fish to fry if it’s the starter. Still under warrantee. They already did an excellent job replacing my rear air shock.

If it is the starter a member here replaced his with an aftermarket one at half the cost of a OEM one

Reactions: Indian-Corey

·
Registered
525 Posts
Most likely the ground cable is not connected good enough. Cranking it creates a small spark between cable and battery that eventually cleans enough of an area to allow it to get enough to start. Clean, not just tighten both though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts