Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to my dealer 3 times in the past 6 weeks to buy a 111 oil change in a box and they are "sold out and on order". Is there a shortage of these for some reason? I give up and will order online I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've recently been by the dealer here in CA and there were plenty of kits on the shelf. I've seen them on Amazon for the same price as in the dealer. Maybe give that a try.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I've been to my dealer 3 times in the past 6 weeks to buy a 111 oil change in a box and they are "sold out and on order". Is there a shortage of these for some reason? I give up and will order online I guess.
I see so many parts that are not available or sold out with our members posting on different parts. accessories etc. Whats the go with Polaris in the USA is there a real shortage on everything or are the or the dealerships cutting back on stock to save money as things are quite or slow sales ?

·
Rider
816 Posts
I bought mine on ebay from Indian of Charlotte. It was delivered in just a couple days and they include a 10% off coupon for next purchase from them (just a small added bonus) Indian Chief Thunderstroke 111 Motorcycle Oil Change Kit - 2014 Up Indian Chiefs | eBay
I have bought oil kits among other things online from Charlotte and they are top notch in my book. Now that I live less than 30 minutes from a dealer, I will start buying all my Indian branded items from them as I want to support a good local business and it is my understanding they are one of the best.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have bought oil kits among other things online from Charlotte and they are top notch in my book. Now that I live less than 30 minutes from a dealer, I will start buying all my Indian branded items from them as I want to support a good local business and it is my understanding they are one of the best.
Just in case you did not know, if you order something online from Indian, or through Polaris' Amazon storefront, the orders are fulfilled by the closest dealer that has it in stock.

Personally, I am a fan of the oil change kit. 5 and 1/2 quarts of oil (first time I had ever seen a 1/2 quart jug), filter, and crush washers...everything you need in a box.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Just in case you did not know, if you order something online from Indian, or through Polaris' Amazon storefront, the orders are fulfilled by the closest dealer that has it in stock.

Personally, I am a fan of the oil change kit. 5 and 1/2 quarts of oil (first time I had ever seen a 1/2 quart jug), filter, and crush washers...everything you need in a box.
+1 in the oil kit. Now that my knee makes it next to impossible to get down on the ground and back up, I’ll be having the dealer do all my oil changes until I can get a lift.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I’m assuming they are doing oil changes and have everything in stock. I would be asking them why they can’t just put the oil, filter and washers in a bag for you. If they are using bulk oil, they should still be able to measure out 5.5 quarts for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was told by the dealership that they couldn’t get my bike in for service until next month or so. I went to an auto parts store and bought 6 qts of Lucas 20w50 full synthetic and a WIX filter for about $70. I called the service manager at the dealership and asked him what size the crush washers are and he said he didn’t know. All he has is the Indian part number. No size listed. I asked him what that was all about and he said “Indian” doesn’t care to have that known to the public as they want you either getting your bike serviced by them or buying their oil change kits. I found the crush washer size on this forum but the auto parts store didn’t have that size. Amazon does though. It just chaps my @ss when the dealership can’t get you scheduled for almost two months and then they sometimes don’t have oil kits available and they conveniently don't have the crush washer size available. At least the service manager was honest with me.

·
Rider
316 Posts
I was sent a $10 off coupon from Indian to use at a dealership. It was good until the end of April. When I went to the dealer, I got the last one that was on the shelf. I went to pay for it, I mentioned that I got the last one and they said that they would have to get more out of the back room and re-stock.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I see so many parts that are not available or sold out with our members posting on different parts. accessories etc. Whats the go with Polaris in the USA is there a real shortage on everything or are the or the dealerships cutting back on stock to save money as things are quite or slow sales ?
I would guess it is a function of the parts department and not Indian per say. My dealers keeps a few oil change kits around for the customers that do their own oil, but not a huge amount of them.

The service department uses the bulk oil in the 55 gallon drums, separate filter, and crush washers.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,843 Posts
I honestly think the oil kits are a rip off. I stocked up on 20w40 Amsoil (full synthetic as opposed to the semi syn Indian oil) and Wix oil filters. I have been using the same original crush washers with each oil change and never had any issues. Dean

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Dean E got to agree. I won’t change my oil till I leave for Portland next month. But same thing on my Victory 30,000 miles same washer never a leak. I always thought why would indian be any different we will see

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve reused my copper washers on my victorys and Indians and never had a problem.
I’m going to look at my washers and as long as they are straight (not dished out), I’ll reuse them. I’ve heard that on occasion a tech will over-tighten them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts