Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have about 800 miles on the new 585 cams and had a chance to open her up. My bike maxed out at 110 mph.
I have the 111 motor. Is that it? I thought even stock the bike would be faster. Maybe like 120+ or something.
Any info would help.
Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
So I have about 800 miles on the new 585 cams and had a chance to open her up. My bike maxed out at 110 mph.
I have the 111 motor. Is that it? I thought even stock the bike would be faster. Maybe like 120+ or something.
Any info would help.
Thanks a lot guys.
If you tried to do the speed in 6th gear, then 110 mph is pretty good. Drop it down to 5th and you will be able to hit higher speeds. The best I've seen on a 116" is 124 mph, though he thought he had more (one data point). The 116" stock is about the same HP as you have with that cam.

Also, make sure your tune has the vehicle speed limits raised. It is not the motor, it is the wall that the motor is trying to push into the wind. With the 585 cam, you most likely at 102 HP and 120 TQ, max. This is not that much power for our heavy bikes with an aerodynamic footprint of a wall.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Went on a group ride not long ago and a few of us hit 120 mph on Springfield’s. I have stage 2 cams with Indian flash and so did the others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm a GP racer so doing 150mph is kinda the thing but I at least expected 120.
I'll look into some more info.
Thanks Craig B. Preciate the info

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
With my Classic equipped with 14" flared windshield and hard bags (certainly not much less drag than a cheiftain)

and 585s and tune

I have hit 119 mph (according to LOG file) quite a few times (on the right cameraless stretch here)

in 6th gear! (just normal accelleration)

sooo ... Craig did not want to put you through additional expenses for proper WOT street tuning

(you would need a WBCX module and wide band O2 sensors mounted ... and you would need to go through ARTS with him)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL! Indians are SLOW.......

I own a new 19 Chieftain and they are not made for speed, just comfort.

My Victory Cross Country did 131 stock with the speed limited disconnected. My Vic Magnum with Cams, Filter, turner and slip on pipes (120hp) did 140 and had more to go when I shut it down. These bikes start floating at 125mph and aren’t the safest at these speeds. They aren’t sport bikes!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hate typos! By kids say I have “Old Man Hands”...

Speed limiter, is what I meant above.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 116 has hit 126.2 by GPS my speedo is a bit slow and I don't trust it. Eyes in the sky are a lot more accurate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I just figured it should @ least do 120.
I can always do like spanky n the gang, put a spinning fireworks wheel on the rim. LOL!

·
Registered
25 Posts
110 mph is plenty on a bike of this size & shape. For some reason, my Ultra Classic is more stable above 90 mph than my Chieftain Limited. But my Limited is a nicer ride below 80 mph. I don't spend much time at triple digits so I really don't sweat it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts