Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 10 K on my 2015 Roadmaster which I purchased just after Christmas 2014. Best Bike I have ever owned. Handled the Tail of the Dragon like a dream, riding two up fully loaded for a weeks travel. Even had to take the same path back on the Dragon in the rain to get back home and no issues or difficulty.

Are there any service issues at the 10K mark that I need to be aware of?
Could I just change the oil myself and go on, or do I need to take it into the dealer?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Replace brake fluid
Replacing brake fluid after only 10k miles (especially when that 10k was in so short a time) seemed silly to me (and my dealer's techs!) so we skipped that part.

(The fluid is still 100% clear, too, so...)

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would think time rather than miles would degrade the brake fluid. Must be hundreds of thousands of bikes on the street that have never had the brake fluid, or fork fluids, changed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Depends on humidity, brake fluid is extremely hygroscopic, so in high humidity areas it may be sooner or later., but like Traveler it more time than mileage. You could technically drive 10K in a month, but I wouldn't replace my brake fluid then.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,091 Posts
Depends on humidity, brake fluid is extremely hygroscopic, so in high humidity areas it may be sooner or later., but like Traveler it more time than mileage. You could technically drive 10K in a month, but I wouldn't replace my brake fluid then.
I tend to agree with you. I really don't consider it to be a mileage thing more of a calendar thing. I think they are using DOT 4 fluid which I believe is synthetic. Does not really attract too much moisture. I did swap fluid on my old bike after 5 years. There was a little dirt down at the calipers but cleared very quickly. I will probably do the same on the RM. I think a big factor is if your bike spends alot of time outside overnight. Dean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts