Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, apologies for being absent for a fair bit and raising a stink upon my return.

BUT...

I'll admit that I haven't looked to see what you get in the Anniversary Scout, but what I see is spoked wheels, a braced handlebar, and badging. For a $4500 price bump.

I got nothin'.

·
Registered
416 Posts
One important feature you didn’t mention: choice. If you like the looks/features/whatever of that Scout, you can buy it. If it doesn’t ring your chimes, don’t.

Sort of like ordering food at a restaurant. Someone gets the steak, another person orders salmon, and someone else chooses the Surf ‘n Turf. Everyone gets what they want, for whatever reason they want it, and what one person orders has no bearing at all on the what the others order. A lot of things in life are like that: what appeals to me may not to another, and vice versa. But the likes and choices of someone else have zero impact on my life. It’s really awesome!!!

(Disclosure: I do not have that particular model Scout, but have no problem with anyone who chooses to buy it. If I saw someone on it, I’d want to check it out and I’d give them a compliment on their ride.)

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Does make me think of the 19th century quote: “A sucker born every minute”.
Hopefully that’s not why there’s an FTR and Challenger, or Indian Motorcycles now.
Would be a sad thing if it’s all nothing more than a ploy rather than a serious endeavor to create competitive motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One important feature you didn’t mention: choice. If you like the looks/features/whatever of that Scout, you can buy it. If it doesn’t ring your chimes, don’t.

Sort of like ordering food at a restaurant. Someone gets the steak, another person orders salmon, and someone else chooses the Surf ‘n Turf. Everyone gets what they want, for whatever reason they want it, and what one person orders has no bearing at all on the what the others order. A lot of things in life are like that: what appeals to me may not to another, and vice versa. But the likes and choices of someone else have zero impact on my life. It’s really awesome!!!

(Disclosure: I do not have that particular model Scout, but have no problem with anyone who chooses to buy it. If I saw someone on it, I’d want to check it out and I’d give them a compliment on their ride.)
Do you really want to defend a $4500 premium with a restaurant analogy? See also @LongRoadHome's excellent comment.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
To be fair I guess there could be something to the limited edition idea behind it. I just fear they may have missed the mark on the collectibility idea… If that is indeed what it is.
I realize it’s a whole different territory for value, I just would’ve thought a couple thousand over the normal Scout would have been better.

Reminds me of Corvette and their Pace Car, as well as anniversary editions.
Although I don’t know what the mark up price was I’m sure people payed plenty for the privilege to buy one.

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
162 Posts
I actually really like the 100th anniversary scout, but agree that the price is a bit too much. Of course I’ll still be keeping an eye out in case a leftover one gets a price drop at some point(and then my girlfriend would probably kill me for buying yet another bike).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,603 Posts
I'm glad I got a marked-down 2019 Scout ABS. Granted I put over $1300 in mods on it but it came to a lot less money. To each his own I guess but yeah that is a lot of money for a "special" edition.

·
Rider
1,354 Posts
Do you really want to defend a $4500 premium with a restaurant analogy? See also @LongRoadHome's excellent comment.
Human beings have lived their entire lives paying for premiums on things they want or like

Indians and HD's are premium, Honda's and Kawasaki's are not

this world is littered with copy cats of "things", but the premium items are priced accordingly...

·
Silver member
5,197 Posts
I believe they are only making 100 of those anniversary Scouts. Helps justify the cost assuming in 30 years they will have some value on the collector market...

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It has more add-ons than those you've noticed. Beachbars, 1920 solo saddle, rear rack, ABS, wire spoke wheels. Then there is the pin stripe paintwork in what looks to be a custom red - it looks a touch more fire engine red than my 2016 Scout was, but the computer pics can be deceiving.

Here in Oz it sells for $23,000 and the stock Scout is $20,000. Our base price is much higher than US but add-ons are typically double US prices, so the extras on the anniversary model might make it a good deal over here.

·
Rider
771 Posts
First, apologies for being absent for a fair bit and raising a stink upon my return.

BUT...

I'll admit that I haven't looked to see what you get in the Anniversary Scout, but what I see is spoked wheels, a braced handlebar, and badging. For a $4500 price bump.

I got nothin'.
Buy. 19 scout, put a 100 year side cover on and bam,,,, 2020.. no one will know the diff,,,,

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
To be fair I guess there could be something to the limited edition idea behind it. I just fear they may have missed the mark on the collectibility idea… If that is indeed what it is.
I realize it’s a whole different territory for value, I just would’ve thought a couple thousand over the normal Scout would have been better.

Reminds me of Corvette and their Pace Car, as well as anniversary editions.
Although I don’t know what the mark up price was I’m sure people payed plenty for the privilege to buy one.
The last line explains all this and contradicts your position. (If I understand you right)
Pace car editions in good condition command a higher price on the market today, most often the difference is more than the initial expense at original purchase.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I wouldn't buy one, but I don't think it's that crazy. If one was to add the bits and paint work to a regular Scout it would come out about the same or higher. if one did replicate it, it still wouldn't have official designation nor Limited production. Which while doesn't appeal to me, will appeal to some.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Yeah, I don’t ‘buy’ into that type of collector thing. What I meant was that I don’t know what the value of such vehicles is.
BTW I guess Harley Davidson has done their own anniversary edition’s in the past, I haven’t checked on that.

That said, I did buy the badge from IM parts for the thermostat cover since I thought it would be good to have all this year… and beyond... Just for the sake of nostalgia. Not meant to fake the real thing.

Speaking of which, I was surprised it wasn’t a special new cover. I’m curious if any anniversary edition owners would find the 1901 embossing seen from behind if they remove their TC.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Anniversary Harley's aren't anything special. The tend to resell for just a bit more than same year same model. But that's more due to the better paint and extra options.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts