Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 scout. All the bikes I've had in the past I've enjoyed mini apes. What is required on the scout to change over? Will i need longer cable? How hard is it to take the grips off? Or do I have to buy new grips for the new bars?
IMG_1088.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts
the cables and brake line should reach on the regular scout. but the grips are glued on and are kind of a pain to get off. i didnt reuse mine when i went from the 10 inch mini apes that came on mine to the 14 inch widow makers from dean speed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably gonna use the apes from Indian. I don't mind the grips but didn't know if the cables and such would reach.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,419 Posts
Sorry for not replying soon enough. The bike handles great and my back and shoulders feel much better from having better posture. I think it feels as though I have more leverage for steering with the mini apes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was actually an easy install on the bars. The windshield went on nicely as well. To bad the weather is crap.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did about 100 miles today. The windshield sucks. I've called my dealership. They said bring it back exchange it for a taller one. Don't know if that works. At 50mph the buffeting is so bad that my vision is blurry.

·
5,419 Posts
The Indian windshields for the Scout suck. Now that you have the frame just get a Freedom shield for it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Indian windshields for the Scout suck. Now that you have the frame just get a Freedom shield for it.
Well. The dealership actually let me return it. I ended up buying some floorboards and a luggage rack. I'll buy a windshield when i sort through all the confusion of what I need. Actually I'm considering a full fairing.

·
5,419 Posts
I went with a National Cycle 2-up Switchblade windshield on my 2019 Scout. It looks better and works better plus at 5 foot eleven I can easily see over the top of it. I get some wind swirling around it but no bad buffeting even with my 3/4 and half helmets on. The quick detach brackets are tricky to install but the windshield easily pops off and back on. I give it two thumbs up.
20191028_160302_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm undecided about which windshield. Im 6'2". Don't really know what height or brand will be the best to eliminate the buffeting

·
5,419 Posts
There's a lot of brands and styles out there. Just depends on looks and function. I prefer a more standard classic windshield that I can look over the top of. I don't like direct wind blast in the face with all the bugs etc. that go with it. I don't mind a little breeze swirling around a windshield as long as it isn't buffeting my head. As long as I'm comfortable and the windshield looks good on the bike I am good with it, Good luck finding yours.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was actually considering the Arlen Ness fairing that goes on the headlight area and have it painted the color of my bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts