Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I would share this, so when you are looking forward to your 10,000 mile tuneup, inspection, what the cost will be, time, etc

The very competent mechanic at Indian Motorcycle of Southern Colorado, Don, worked on my bike.
1) Be prepared to wait, it takes about 5 hours. Bring a book.
2) Be prepared to spend some dough, but heck, we are used to that as Indian owners, full retail o_O
- labor cost $519.75 - material - oil $69.99. No air filter as I have a Trask

Most of the his work was done checking and inspecting, ex inspecting the wheel bearings, the brakes, the clutch, etc. He did replace the brake fluid, engine oil and fluid. This tuneup does not require he crack the case.

I did get to watch him work, through a window, and I did get to speak with him about 4 times throughout the hours. I don't like dealers that isolate the mechanics and do not let you talk to him. If I am paying $600, I would like some interaction, find out what is going on with my bike. I am not mechanically inclined, (many here in this forum are, and I ain't one of them), so I like to know what is going on, how the various components are working, etc. Example: My front brake was a little soft. Told me that Indian did fix that on the 2016 model. If you test them side by side, you will notice. Commented that with the Gilroy Indians, they built them and through them out there and sought no improvement. He said that is not the case with Polaris. Most of the data he collected, he forwards on his laptop to Polaris, indicating that they do take input, looking for room for improvement.

My bike is in top shape and with a break in the cold weather, I chose the perfect day to ride down to Pueblo from the Springs. It was about 70 degrees yesterday, but heck, looks like more snow on Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Holy cow, I had no idea that the service cost that much!
One of the reasons that some bikes never get a proper servicing.
The choice is either I do it myself, or just let it slide.
A lot of people just let it slide and when it is sold or traded in the next owner will be the one to suffer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A lot of people trust dealerships to do what is required. Not me. I always ask what is required to keep the warranty intact. Many dealerships want to do lots of extra things that don't hurt anything except the wallet. That's your choice of course.

I think the OP had a good mechanic, who documented his work very well! I would be tempted to replace the plugs and do the compression check at the same time. Doing the compression check at 15,000 miles should not hurt anything. When was the last time anyone heard of doing a compression check on a new vehicle? I would also question the need to change fork oil which was circled to be done at 15k or 2 years. That requires a lot of labor I believe. I also would not want to pay $50 for shop supplies. Changing brake fluid before 2 years is a bit of overkill I think.

I am not second guessing anyone, but strongly believe there are things that must be done to insure safety and reliability. But paying to have a poorly designed kickstand without a safety switch inspected is interesting. If the dealership offered to modify the kickstand to increase stability, that would be great. Too bad Indian does not even make owners aware of the bikes problems and shortcomings. We get a very poor front and rear suspension system and then get told to change the fork oil at the 2 year point. Yeah, that really will make a difference. Wow!

To the OP, thanks for posting the attachments and your experience.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that is a great price for the 10000. If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge for the 500?
If I remember correctly, it was a few hundred.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
My 10,000 Mile Service was Free ( prepaid thing ) After the 10,000 Mile Service thought I was all set with nothing to worry about and then at 13,000 Uh Oh Big Problems .. Always thought a good rule of thumb is if have no problems after 10,000 miles are pretty much home free worrying about trouble with the Engine, Clutch and Tranny anyway .. Having to rethink this now .. But anyway back on point I do believe all 3 Services from Indian of Ocala were done Well and Promptly .. Waited on all 3 of them and the 10,000 was the Longest because of the Brake Fluid Change and it was just over 2 1/2 hours ..

·
Registered
748 Posts
That's a good price. My BMW just came back with an $800 bill - needed two tires and new fluids. Nothing eats rubber like the track.

·
Registered
272 Posts
reading these posts about spending outrageous amounts of money for something most people can do in their garage with simple common sense and reading of the owners manual [ and the fine print]
" A fool and his money are soon departed"

UsingEnglish.com

Brake fluid does NOT wear out from milage,,, only from absorption of water [ from air } over time.... the brake reservoirs do have a small air vent....if you read the fine print,,Indian states 2 years for a replacement date of the brake fluid....

IN the real world,,,,,most street motorcycles are fine [ and I lived in a sub tropical location } for a 2-3 year time replacement.... that is one reason why there is a window in the reservoir ,,,,, the brake fluid turns from a clear to a Dark color when contaminated from moisture.....{Brake fluid is Hydroscopic }

Your money,,,,, I prefer to keep mine.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
reading these posts about spending outrageous amounts of money for something most people can do in their garage with simple common sense and reading of the owners manual [ and the fine print]
" A fool and his money are soon departed"

UsingEnglish.com

Brake fluid does NOT wear out from milage,,, only from absorption of water [ from air } over time.... the brake reservoirs do have a small air vent....if you read the fine print,,Indian states 2 years for a replacement date of the brake fluid....

IN the real world,,,,,most street motorcycles are fine [ and I lived in a sub tropical location } for a 2-3 year time replacement.... that is one reason why there is a window in the reservoir ,,,,, the brake fluid turns from a clear to a Dark color when contaminated from moisture.....{Brake fluid is Hydroscopic }

Your money,,,,, I prefer to keep mine.
I am not a fool

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Reviving this thread. Mine was done this week, June 2018, at Freedom Powersports in Huntsville AL.
$500 for the brake fluid (told no parts cost for it), air filter, oil+filter and Michelin Commander II tires.
About 4 hours with an hour for lunch for a total of 5 hours.
Some pain for the wallet at $872 plus coins, something like $80/hour labor.
More of a reason about my extended warranty that covers everything except wear parts, I'm just glad I didn't attempt this myself. I'm sure it would have been a couple days off and on for me and I probably would have broken the fuel connector or never got brakes back to normal anytime soon.
Girl at counter thought the next 15K service was unusual for fork oil to be changed at that time. I mentioned the 10K intervals for oil+filter seemed too long to wait but maybe I would do these at 20K myself.

·
Silver member
5,504 Posts
I did get to watch him work, through a window, and I did get to speak with him about 4 times throughout the hours. I don't like dealers that isolate the mechanics and do not let you talk to him. If I am paying $600, I would like some interaction, find out what is going on with my bike. I am not mechanically inclined, (many here in this forum are, and I ain't one of them), so I like to know what is going on, how the various components are working, etc.
That said, imagine being a mechanic working on a bike. Odds are you don't wan't the owner (or any other customer) shoulder surfing, asking questions all the time, wanting a conversation.... It's distracting, and it could cost you more time.

That's what the service manager is for. You should tell him any details of your bike before the service, and if the mechanic has questions he or the service manager should ask you for more details.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Good thread resurrection here, as I'm coming up on my 10,000 mile service on Wednesday. I like my dealer but I'll be sure and make sure I'm clear on everything before they start work. And I'm dropping it off so I won't even be able to harass the mechanic!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts