Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to dealer today to inspect the new mapped FTRs.. I didn't ride it but I cold started it.
Not good. Hard start, steadier idle, faster warm up, but threw codes, and was very vibrational. like an old single cylinder. Very noisy internally and even had frequent exhaust pops at idle. Smelt rich as hell. But, didn't stall. Had a more steady beat...
I've ridden this bike before. This is not an improvement.

Map Strike 2.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
@Hatt as much as I like you (and you know I do), you seem to be looking too much for confirmation lately that the FTR is not the perfect bike you hoped/thought it was, and that it will soon be discontinued. ?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Hatt as much as I like you (and you know I do), you seem to be looking too much for confirmation lately that the FTR is not the perfect bike you hoped/thought it was, and that it will soon be discontinued. ?
I know we're good Max, I respect and appreciate your honesty.
I'm introspective enough to tell you, that I cannot disagree with you. I realized this of my self about a week ago. I know what it appears I am doing looks exactly as that. So, Ya. I hear You.
But let me attempt to explain how my motivation, or motus operandi differs from the predictable reason of being the perfect bike I, my self hoped for..

This will be long. A manifesto.

I have the perfect bike. I love my bike. More than any I've had. I signed up for the first runs, twice . I knew the possibilities. I knew the fixes. I volunteered to have issues.
So, to me, personally I'm in love with my bike. It's everything I expected and more.
So, 1 man 1 bike, I'm happy as a pig in poo.

Best bike America ever made. But.

it's the wide spread common issue. It's the lack of resolve. It's the failed second attempt. It's the countless left overs on the floors. Its affected a potential turning point for our market.

I never rode exactly what I wanted.
I rode bikes I loved. The machine was always exactly what I wanted, But l always wondered and wished, why can't we we make a bike I love like this.

Not a cruiser guy..

I live in Harley land. They are 40 minutes from my house But I couldn't buy anything from my local economy because they didn't make what I wanted.

I saw Indian come back out with real backing in 14 with a newer version of an old scene. Something with real potential to wake my local economy up, and our MC market at large.
not a cruiser guy, not a push rod guy Not an air cooled guy, but I paid attention to Indian. They had some philosophies and design ques that gave me hope.
Than in 15 they announced the Scout.
An unapologetic, braggadocio in its being liquid cooled. Twin Cam, 4valve per cyl, stressed member engine and vacuum cast framed American motor cycle.

Bananas.
It was a first if it's kind. It was designed with core fundamentals that made my race bikes, race bikes.
Not a cruiser guy, but I bought one. I did it To say to Indian with my vote dollar, "yes This is the direction the second American option needs to go to push everyone forward, keep going"
turns out I love my Scout. It's abilities are mainly limited only by how you sit on it. One of the best engines I've ever used to burn gas with. Genuinely. A performance bike, with F-ed up posture.

They heard us..
In every way they became what I believe fills and hope to continue filling our void in American options.
The spot light was on them for this major pivot. Everyone is watching especially the competition.
If Indian fails in this pioneering, it could stunt our growth. Including the competitions, and go back too same ol.

I'm not brand guy.

It sounds as though I'm beyond an Indian koolaide drinker, and into snorting it. I'm not. I'd have been just as stoked about the Scout and the second option in America regardless of brand name.
If my Scout had Polaris on the tank or victory, John Deere, or what ever, it wouldn't have mattered to me.
I would have been just as smitten with this second opinion going this direction pushing our domestic options forward to a new era. Regardless of name.
I LOVE that I see HD taking steps into new segments with the Bronx/streetfiigher/pan America.
As arrogant as it sounds I feel like I had something to do with that along with everyone else who put their chips on the table to back the second option while everyone is watching and many sneered.
I feel If the second option fails in this pivot, it could help all those other ideas get pulled off the boardroom tables and put back in their pockets.

So I hope you can see, it's not about me, I LOVE my bike.
It's not about Indian. It's about the competition bringing riders like you and I options and something to be proud of that the rest of the world can also admire as we do with theirs. Indian simply happens to be the one representing that second option. And I desperately want it to be successful. I want more American options for everyone.

I report what I see, hear, and know. I do my best to vet the above and sometime fail or are mislead.
I sometimes post my opinions, that are no doubt colored with the bias all the above could create.
Believe me, I know how I look, but I'm not concerned with that as much as I am concerned with how the representative of the second option looks.

I assure, it's not that I have personal regrets. I don't. quite the opposite. My bike IS the perfect bike. I over came all the things I knew I was going to have to. I am not regretting anything, and fully acknowledge their could be more to over come our mileages are still low.. I'm fine with that..I embrace that potential.
I just feel like I'm watching my team get slaughtered by its own missteps while so much is on the line.
it's killing me. I admit.
Cheers.

let any flaming commence.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Thanks for elaborating, really appreciate that. Hold onto it until HD releases the Bronx 1250 (!!)? (yes apparently there is a 1250 scheduled too), and don’t think about it too much.

That could be a killer bike in a few years.

Or not...we will only know when we know.

I for one still dig the FTR, but if it’s over it, it’s like a relationship I guess. You tried (I know you did). But if it doesn’t work out, move on...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Went to dealer today to inspect the new mapped FTRs.. I didn't ride it but I cold started it.
Not good. Hard start, steadier idle, faster warm up, but threw codes, and was very vibrational. like an old single cylinder. Very noisy internally and even had frequent exhaust pops at idle. Smelt rich as hell. But, didn't stall. Had a more steady beat...
I've ridden this bike before. This is not an improvement.

Map Strike 2.
Rode my FTR to the dealer today thinking I would get the update, but had a friend who I convinced in getting the FTR late last year who was there getting the update and ckt bkr recall on his second FTR (his first ran so bad corporate asked it back). He asked if I could take it for a spin to check out if I could see anything different in the update. It has sat for two hours in 40F weather so it showed about 70F motor temp when I started it. Did seem hard to start, turned over several times before starting. Let it idle for a few minutes, seems to idle fine cold about the same as my bike but no spurious shutdown. At 120F, I tried to take off, it still sputters and runs little erratic, so it still does not like cold running, same as old. I stopped and let it idle to 167F and took off down the road, seemed to run fine, still has the same terrible ruff running zone from 3200 to 3700 rpm. It might have feel a little smoother on hard acceleration and maybe a bit softer at low rpm, but hmmmm, hard to tell.

If I had not known it was remapped, I would not be able to tell from the way it ran.

I did not get the update today, maybe latter...

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
I know we're good Max, I respect and appreciate your honesty.
I'm introspective enough to tell you, that I cannot disagree with you. I realized this of my self about a week ago. I know what it appears I am doing looks exactly as that. So, Ya. I hear You.
But let me attempt to explain how my motivation, or motus operandi differs from the predictable reason of being the perfect bike I, my self hoped for..

This will be long. A manifesto.

I have the perfect bike. I love my bike. More than any I've had. I signed up for the first runs, twice . I knew the possibilities. I knew the fixes. I volunteered to have issues.
So, to me, personally I'm in love with my bike. It's everything I expected and more.
So, 1 man 1 bike, I'm happy as a pig in poo.

Best bike America ever made. But.

it's the wide spread common issue. It's the lack of resolve. It's the failed second attempt. It's the countless left overs on the floors. Its affected a potential turning point for our market.

I never rode exactly what I wanted.
I rode bikes I loved. The machine was always exactly what I wanted, But l always wondered and wished, why can't we we make a bike I love like this.

Not a cruiser guy..

I live in Harley land. They are 40 minutes from my house But I couldn't buy anything from my local economy because they didn't make what I wanted.

I saw Indian come back out with real backing in 14 with a newer version of an old scene. Something with real potential to wake my local economy up, and our MC market at large.
not a cruiser guy, not a push rod guy Not an air cooled guy, but I paid attention to Indian. They had some philosophies and design ques that gave me hope.
Than in 15 they announced the Scout.
An unapologetic, braggadocio in its being liquid cooled. Twin Cam, 4valve per cyl, stressed member engine and vacuum cast framed American motor cycle.

Bananas.
It was a first if it's kind. It was designed with core fundamentals that made my race bikes, race bikes.
Not a cruiser guy, but I bought one. I did it To say to Indian with my vote dollar, "yes This is the direction the second American option needs to go to push everyone forward, keep going"
turns out I love my Scout. It's abilities are mainly limited only by how you sit on it. One of the best engines I've ever used to burn gas with. Genuinely. A performance bike, with F-ed up posture.

They heard us..
In every way they became what I believe fills and hope to continue filling our void in American options.
The spot light was on them for this major pivot. Everyone is watching especially the competition.
If Indian fails in this pioneering, it could stunt our growth. Including the competitions, and go back too same ol.

I'm not brand guy.

It sounds as though I'm beyond an Indian koolaide drinker, and into snorting it. I'm not. I'd have been just as stoked about the Scout and the second option in America regardless of brand name.
If my Scout had Polaris on the tank or victory, John Deere, or what ever, it wouldn't have mattered to me.
I would have been just as smitten with this second opinion going this direction pushing our domestic options forward to a new era. Regardless of name.
I LOVE that I see HD taking steps into new segments with the Bronx/streetfiigher/pan America.
As arrogant as it sounds I feel like I had something to do with that along with everyone else who put their chips on the table to back the second option while everyone is watching and many sneered.
I feel If the second option fails in this pivot, it could help all those other ideas get pulled off the boardroom tables and put back in their pockets.

So I hope you can see, it's not about me, I LOVE my bike.
It's not about Indian. It's about the competition bringing riders like you and I options and something to be proud of that the rest of the world can also admire as we do with theirs. Indian simply happens to be the one representing that second option. And I desperately want it to be successful. I want more American options for everyone.

I report what I see, hear, and know. I do my best to vet the above and sometime fail or are mislead.
I sometimes post my opinions, that are no doubt colored with the bias all the above could create.
Believe me, I know how I look, but I'm not concerned with that as much as I am concerned with how the representative of the second option looks.

I assure, it's not that I have personal regrets. I don't. quite the opposite. My bike IS the perfect bike. I over came all the things I knew I was going to have to. I am not regretting anything, and fully acknowledge their could be more to over come our mileages are still low.. I'm fine with that..I embrace that potential.
I just feel like I'm watching my team get slaughtered by its own missteps while so much is on the line.
it's killing me. I admit.
Cheers.

let any flaming commence.
No flame on, here, my man. Deeply thinking about something and being able to set forth your thoughts is what an evolved human being does. It is no doubt frustrating to see something on the verge of greatness simply stop short with no apparent reason.

It's if, as Robert Pirsig wrote, "the truth comes knocking at their door and they say 'go away, I'm looking for the truth', and so it goes away. Puzzling."

Plus, we all hate when feeling we have good ideas, yet Indian/Polaris is not listening.

I rode today for almost 200 miles. No, the bar end weights did not kill the gas mileage...lol...and it was a great ride. I meditated deeply on the issues the group has been discussing. I had a sing along with those goofy tires. I got well over 40 mpg.

And I, again, became whole with the universe. You will find the spoke on the wheel. Peace to you in all things.

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
Apologies I haven't any input regarding new OEM map as I'm still on the original along with the circuit breakers. But I did find the ensuing posts somewhat both interesting and captivating.

Brand loyalty and brand advocation can be quite emotive and vociferous for a few. In my own personal experience this becomes perhaps less important as you get older as comfort and styling comes more to the fore? Don't get me wrong I have two completely different bikes at opposite ends of the spectrum and love them both. Despite spending an inordinate amount of money on them, expecting them to be perfect out of the box is in my view 'far-fetched expectations' and I swore I would never buy a bike in it's first year of manufacture. I only realistically drew that decision from my other iconic brand of American made motorcycle and the severe implications of 'sumping' issues experienced by many and the lack of action by the manufacturer initially to recognise and resolve the issue. When the FTR was announced I did quite a bit of research and soul searching before committing and based my decision on having a great dealership nearby and the fact I could not find a single negative media report on the FTR. I was hooked.
My own brand loyalty is easily explainable, the UK is awash with many different makes, you can't throw a brick without hitting a Triumph, BMW, Kawasaki and many others or even some of the higher end marques such as MV Augusta. What is much less common are the two American brands I have mentioned which are considered a little 'out of the box.' I like to see companies thrive and evolve and I think Polaris are heading as pioneers in their attempts to appeal to and attract a bigger market. I look forward to H-Ds forthcoming additions to the fleet but will not be rushing out as I did with the FTR to procure one! Affordability, pricing and advertising are the three main factors here and the fact they only still appeal to the same older people with the money to buy them.

Not unlike Hatt I too want more American options for everyone but perhaps selfishly not too much more over here as it would make ownership of two such fine motorcycles not so special.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts