Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The scout is running great and actually has a working speedo,
the issue is first gear. When I try to engage it rattles sometimes and takes seconds to catch,
if I whack it good from a stop it usuals engages but not always. I have no experience with these motors or trannies, is something out of adjustment? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
164 Posts
How much free play is in your clutch cable? is the idle speed too fast?
My buddy used to have a T shirt that said " Norton Motorcycles - Turns ordinary men into mechanics" :giggle:
Gilroys are probably similar. Not that it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the Gilroy scout manual on line, thanks I’ll check the clutch cable free play. I’m pretty handy but my diagnostic skills suck. It does seem to idle a bit fast when warmed up, once again I done have a point of reference with this motor.

·
Silver member
4,898 Posts
Ideally, you want to idle it at about 950-1000 rpm. Many like to drop them to 750-800 to get that loping sound, but that is hard on the bottom end, lowers the oil pressure at idol, and makes it a dog off the line...

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lot's of times when the idle is too fast when it's hot there's an air leak at the intake or carb mount. It also wouldn't hurt to disconnect the clutch cable and make sure that it slides freely in it's jacket and isn't bound up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I needed a starting point. Hopefully hit the garage this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like the clutch needs an adjustment, just ordered the gasket from Indian Moto,
thanks for the help.

·
Silver member
4,898 Posts
It is easy to adjust. break the nut loose, turn the jamb nut all the way in until you feel it stop, turn the jamb nut back a 3/4 turn, then tight the nut back up. Simple. Then adjust your cable till you have about a dime of play at the lever. That's all their is to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The manual says start at the clutch and adjust that first, then adjust the cable.
I can just adjust the free play without dumping the primary fluid and adjusting the clutch?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I spoke to soon. It did not fix the problem, as soon as I took it out longer than around the block ,it decided not to drop into first . The trans linkage appears tight and shifts fine with the motor off, unlike I’m wrong (again) I’ll need to check the clutch for adjustment and possible replacement. The bike is new to me so changing the drive fluid and engine oil is on the list anyway.

·
Silver member
4,898 Posts
Check your linkage where it comes out of the transmission and make sure that shift connection is tight down behind the primary where it connects to the tranny. It is just an allen bolt you can get at it with a ratchet, short extension, and a allen socket.
Way back in the day, I thought I broke my tranny. Bought a Revtech 6, broke the bike down, installed the new tranny, but when I pulled the old one out to inspect it. That arm was loose and simply needed tightened. I still have the 5 speed tranny on the shelf for a future build.

Blue loctite and a new bolt and it would have been 30 minute fix...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll check the linkage at the transmission, thanks. The six speed has got to be a terrific upgrade, to look at the bright side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts