Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any chief owners experienced shut down issues?

My 03 chief has 2100 miles on it. Obviously i don't ride that often but lately i have been wanting to more. I serviced my bike, new plugs, oil change, fresh gas, carb cleaner, air filter, fuel filter. It starts right up and runs great, however for some reason whenever it gets hot it shuts down.

It still has electrical and will crank forever without starting. When I am riding and it shuts down, it will just die out. Still has electrical, just won't start.

Anybody experience any similar problems?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000 and it was the trigger plate.

Not sure if the 03's have the same ignition but if they do;

Give Thunder Heart a call and see if they will check your ignition and trigger plate, it's probably one of them.

TH is a good supplier but their oe trigger plates had problems with high heat under the nose cones.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,028 Posts
Have any chief owners experienced shut down issues?

My 03 chief has 2100 miles on it. Obviously i don't ride that often but lately i have been wanting to more. I serviced my bike, new plugs, oil change, fresh gas, carb cleaner, air filter, fuel filter. It starts right up and runs great, however for some reason whenever it gets hot it shuts down.

It still has electrical and will crank forever without starting. When I am riding and it shuts down, it will just die out. Still has electrical, just won't start.

Anybody experience any similar problems?

Thanks..
A bad ignition coil may display the same symptoms.
--- Randall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same problem with my 2000 and it was the trigger plate.

Not sure if the 03's have the same ignition but if they do;

Give Thunder Heart a call and see if they will check your ignition and trigger plate, it's probably one of them.

TH is a good supplier but their oe trigger plates had problems with high heat under the nose cones.

Looks like we have the same Model by the picture. How do i get a hold of Thunder Heart?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with TH, and if you had your problem resolved.

Heat and electronics are never a good combination. Unfortunately, its hard to avoid that problem with the nose cone of the S&S and the front header pipe is just in too-close a proximity.

A faulty coil, as Randall stated will also cause a fault. But that's located on the other side, near the rear cylinder head. While it too can get hot... its not AS likely to get as hot as the exhaust pipe, or as likely to be damaged in the same way that the pick-up can.

The electronic ignition unit (from several different manufacturers - both single fire and double-fire) all note that heat causes them trouble. (You'll likely find this mentioned near or around their warranty. 1/2 :-o) The Twin-Tech (that I have) mentions how to inspect for heat damage.

If that front exhaust pipe is too hot... (e.g., caused by a lean jetting condition; a partially clogged jet, etc.) or for some reason is physically too close, to the ignition module, you may be experiencing just such a problem.

As a potential solution to a heat-related gremlin, I have heard some folks will use a black (or white) heat-protective wrap around the exhaust pipe (and under the heat shield) in an attempt to lower the heat around the nose cone of the S&S.

Best of luck -
Michael

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I sent my trigger plate and ignition to TH, they tested both and found the trigger plate bad. TH then sent me a new trigger plate for a replacement, free. This was a few years ago...

The OE 2000 has the trigger plate under the cone and the ignition is by the coil so if it's a heat related issue than I would guess that the trigger plate is the culprit, a few other 2000 owners had the same issue. The only question I would have is usually when the trigger plate goes out, it's out.

Let us know what you find out tbs, Good Luck

·
Registered
254 Posts
<snip> The only question I would have is usually when the trigger plate goes out, it's out.
I did a lot of electronics repair work while in school. In my experience, this can depend greatly on what kind of heat-related failure we're talking about.

For example, a poor solder joint or a 'crack' in the circuit board can create make-or-break connections that vary with heat (read: thermal expansion.) Both types of joint can open up as things expand, then return to making contact when things cool down. YMMV.

Cheers!
-Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts