Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was looking to buy a Chieftain was surprised to find 4 numbered bikes from two different shops within a close distance of me. Now five shops are listed within 143mi of me and I only check with two and they each had 2 # bikes that I know of. I was surprised by that, should I infer that the demand is not as great as I might have thought?
I close on a Springfield blue #1425 (I think)Tue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How great did you think demand was? Bikes didn't really start shipping until November and at that time (even now) there wasn't more than a couple dozen dealers to ship bikes to. It's not logistically a reasonable expectation that 100 bikes will get shipped, sold, and delivered by each dealer during the two slowest months of the year.
If they're already reaching the end of the numbered bike I'd say that's remarkable. Just imagine what that means when it's springtime ( busy season ) and they're up to a couple hundred dealers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enough to think that number of bikes would be sucked up though I didn't put much thought into the dealer network and that would make sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know there were a lot of people that had their name on the list
and backed out so it may be some of those.
If the price is the same for a numbered bike I'd definitley go with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each dealer is required to have one of each model for there floor and the bikes they have on display are numbered bikes until they can replace them with ordered bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a Chieftain 2 weeks ago and went to 2 dealers. The first dealer had 5 sold bikes on display and 2 that just came in that weren't prepped but available and nothing to ride. The second dealer had a bunch sold on display and 1 Chieftain available but not in my color. I was amazed they were selling like that right b4 Christmas. At the first dealer a guy picked his up while I was there and at the second dealer a guy came in and bought one while I was there. Maybe not so much in other places. I was only looking at Chieftains but the first guy had no numbered bikes. The second guys had 1 that was registered and used as a demo. The second guys were 30 minutes further away but they were actual bikers and had a better deal. I also went to 2 H-D dealers to look at Street Glides. There were a lot of people there too...buying t-shirts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you break down numbers like 50 dealers and each sold 50 bikes in 3 months with the average price being 21,000(Vintage, Chief and Chieftan) that relates to 52 million in sales. Not bad to add on top of the sales last quarter. Have no idea what the profit margin is for Polaris/dealerships though.
In any case demand in the spring will be the true teller of how successful the relaunch is going to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Three Chiefs, since you brought up the subject of T Shirts, I think we need to get the Indian apparel people off theirr duff & start producing some decent T,s.

H.D. has all of these sexy clothes for the babes & Macho shirts for the guys but look what is available for us and our women......pretty drab huh?

I bought my new numbered bike a couple of weeks ago after doing a lot of research (actually I didnt know anything about the bike, I liked the looks of it, found a dealer that had one, drove 400 miles to get it, loaded it in a trailer, brought it home & put it in the garage. Still havent ridden it or studied the specs) but when I went to buy a T shirt, my only choice was red or blue. Now I guess I will have to go to the Harley shop, buy some T,s & then sew Indian patches over the HD emblem.

On second thought, forget the whole thing, I dont want to have to worry whether to put on an Indian or an HD shirt when I go riding, from now on I am just wearing plain black regardless of what bike I am on. See how easy it is to uncomplicate life.

Those of you that are having problems with ABS, front fenders, poor dealerships, etc. should envy me. All I have to complain about is the T Shirt selection. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally went to the dealer to check them out. My local dealer had 2 numbered classics 4 sale. All of the numbered vintages and chieftains on the showroom had sold signs on them. They already had the un-numbered bikes on the floor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
18680 said:
I know there were a lot of people that had their name on the list
and backed out so it may be some of those.
If the price is the same for a numbered bike I'd definitley go with it.
from what I saw, if there is a premium price for numbering, its not much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's my spin! I ordered mine on 09/11/13, after hum-hawing around for weeks, trying to talk myself out of 'needing' an Indian! Had never seen one, ridden one, or talked to anybody about one. After nine weeks, I drove 240 miles to pick it up. They had three on the floor, one of each model, in different colors. Every bike was in the two-hundred series. Mine was number 1705. While I was proud to have gotten in on the first 1901; I almost waited too long, and missed it; I asked about the low-numbered bikes on display. My Dealer advised that he could not sell any of the three units, but that Indian would release them to be sold in the near future. As the light bulb went off, I realized that the majority of low numbers would be sold to 'Joe Blows' walking in off the street, and not to the riders interested in purchasing early on. At the right place at the right time--Luck of the draw.--I never thought that a numbered bike would ever be any more valuable; maybe more desirable; but an early number took on a completely different connotation. Regardless, I'm proud to have made the leap in time, and own number 1705.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick question... So the 1901 numbered bikes, is that 1901 bikes total (as in only 1901 2014 Indians) or is that 1901 of each model (meaning they built 5703 bikes)?
EASY

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's the scoop, according to what Indian Consumer Services told me: The first 1,901 total bikes off the line got badged/numbered. This was a mix of all the models and colors. I forgot to ask what the breakdown was..... from other sources I found out that some of the early #s had been held back for some chroming problem on an unknown part, and when the better chromed parts came in they put them on the bikes on the line (higher #s) and squeezed in the "pulled" (low #) bikes when possible. This is why many of the higher #d bikes made it to the dealers first, followed by a slow trickle of low #d bikes...... if you can get a badged/numbered bike, I suggest you grab one NOW as they ARE a hot item, at least down south, and when they are all sold, they are gone forever. The bikes in the showrooms coming in now (I heard) are in the 3000 range.... no badge.... enjoy! ............Chief Classic #1497 in Thunder Black.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first 1901 were numbered but check the last 4 digits of your serial number to see what number yours is of the 2014 production run....I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts