Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Would you buy Another Indian ?

16K views 83 replies 65 participants last post by  Billbenny 
#1 ·
Just as I'm reaching my maturity (about to become a 'member') I had thoughts about my next bike. I go through bikes quite often and rarely keep a bike much over a year. I've had my Chieftain for less than 6 months and already I'm thinking about what I'll get next. For me it will NOT be another Indian. I like my Chieftain, but it does have some limitations and issues that annoy me. The biggest factors are lack of choice in handlebar conversions, front end that is unpredictable on rough roads, throttle by wire that is finicky and a weak electronics package.

Right now I'm thinking about sport touring bikes and wanting the next Motorcycle show to get here (Novemeber).

Anybody else thinking about their next bike already.

(Disclaimer - My NEXT post will give me the illustrious 'member' status .... Whoo Hoo !!

#12 ·
congratulations! I hope to join you one day in that club...

I have been watching too many youtube videos and vacillate between the next purchase of a Roadmaster or a Chieftain. The main reason is either for my wife to ride on the back or I ride the big bike and she ride the Scout.

I am curious what Indian will release next and/or wait for the 2016 models to see what improvements are made to the bikes.

#4 ·
hello Member :)

I am still waiting for my Scout. I am also already thinking ahead a little bit. I am planning on keeping the Scout for maybe year or two max, and then switching to something larger, or possibly having two motorcycles if $$$ and woman allow that. As far as brand, I actually love the idea of staying with Indian. I rented the Chief recently and I was really impressed. It is a great roadtrip cruiser. The only thing that I would change is the dealer. My Miami dealer officially sucks. He is about as interested in his customers as blind person is interested in 3D TVs. Next available dealer is in Pompano Beach, about 30 miles from where I live, so I would probably go with that one. But I am planning on staying with Indian for now.

#5 ·
Demo a Scout...otherwise, the sport touring class is full of choices from Europe and Japan...

#10 ·
953, I had an F6B for about a year. Fantastic machine. I'd rate it above the Chieftain in terms of performance, handling and engineering. Really a superb machine. For me, however it was just a bit too tall and somewhat uncomfortable in the seating area. But that is just me. I can highly recommend the F6B.

#7 ·
jlig, it sounds like you're one that just doesn't stay happy with any cycle for long. Maybe you should just live on craiglist and buy a bunch of cheap low mileage whatevers. Then you could ride a different one every day.

You mention a finicky throttle, a poor front end, & limited choices of handlebars. Of all all the bikes I've ever rode, those three things seem to be very superior to me. My very reason for liking Indian. So, Yes, at this point I would buy another one.

#11 ·
jlig, it sounds like you're one that just doesn't stay happy with any cycle for long. Maybe you should just live on craiglist and buy a bunch of cheap low mileage whatevers. Then you could ride a different one every day.

You mention a finicky throttle, a poor front end, & limited choices of handlebars. Of all all the bikes I've ever rode, those three things seem to be very superior to me. My very reason for liking Indian. So, Yes, at this point I would buy another one.
I do somewhat dabble in the used market. As you can see by my sig I have 2 other bikes in the garage right now.

#8 ·
Hey jlig...Congrats on finally receiving "Member" status!

It's funny you ask the question about whether any of us feel as you do about the next bike NOT being an Indian. My wife has asked the same question of me since she is not happy with how Polaris has handled the Scout roll-out (note: she cancelled her Scout order when it was obvious they weren't going to be delivered when promised). As some here may recall my review of my Scout and the unsolicited inquiries from the Polaris Communications Department "team", and given those experiences, I have to admit that I am doubtful on my next bike being a Polaris made bike. I know many here enjoy their Chief's and some are disappointed with their clackers, electronic malfunctions, soft paint, dealers that just do not have adequate experience with the product and a manufacturer that seems to be wavering on support with some here. It's too early for a judgement call on the Scouts (except for the huge delays in accessories and the outrageous pricing) , but I have to admit that mine was not well screwed together. I'm not ready to run to HD either, as I do not like their current business model and my area dealers are too akin to a fly-by-night carnival operation. I will keep my 2007 HD Patriot Edition for those parades that involve support for a fallen Vet.

I'll probably always have a European bike in the garage and might replace the Scout with another brand when the time comes...maybe after this riding season. From what I see developing here with Gort's efforts at stimulating a response from the powers at Polaris and my own unanswered inquiries from their Customer Support, it seems that Polaris is undergoing a change in how they deal with customers (both dealers and us)...and it's not looking good at the moment.

In any case, let us know what you decide as a replacement for your Indian, and if it's not too personal, what kind of trade-in or selling price range you expect to get on your Indian.

#13 ·
No. But this is because this will be my last motorcycle purchase. I plan to put between 5000 to 10,000 miles on the RM on road trips this year and then sell it. My wife has a bad back but hopefully she can make it thru the year before she needs surgery. I got 2 mancations lined up for this summer and the wife wanted to ride the Rockies. If she can't make it then I have 2 mancations and 1 solo ride.

#14 ·
I have had several brands of bikes; never had a bad one. Some required more "adjustment" than others. For me, there is no perfect bike. I've had a Chief for nine months now. No complaints whatsoever. I feel good about the Chief, it suits me just fine. The "fit" and comfort is the best I have had. Handling is excellent.

Dealer has been super. I bought it at Ft. Hood Indian. $1,000 military (Ret) discount plus $1,000 accessory allowance (windshield, windshield bag with concho, and luggage rack). Plus, they gave me $2,500.00 above two HD dealerships offered for trade-in. I was told the luggage rack would be about three months for delivery. They were wrong. It came in about six weeks. I now use Mission Indian due to proximity. They too, have excellent service. These are the only two Indian dealers I have dealt with. Both are very good.

I bought the Indian Chief Classic in black because of the looks. After the way the bike has performed for me, I feel so lucky the bike has reliability to go with the looks.

At this point, yes, I would buy another Indian.

Regards.

#15 ·
I tend to keep cars and bikes for a long time. Drive a 07 Mustang I bought new. Probably keep it 8 more years. Plan on keeping Chief another 20 years. I like The new Honda Valkyrie. But sitting on it didn't fit me right. Also the new Moto Guzzi Eldorado, BMW R nine T, KTM Super Adventure, MV Agusta Dragster, And Ducati Scrambler. I like all motorcycles but so many decisions.[woot]

#16 ·
Congrats on your "member" achievment. It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality. Length doesn't matter, I love your mother, and I'll call you in the morning...yes, I would buy my Indian all over again. I just wish they would make it easier to get the exact bike I want straight from the factory at a reasonable price. Specifically ordering a Classic with hard bags.

#20 ·
Is it just me, but the last two times I purchased a bike I felt strongly that I wanted to stay with an American Name Brand. I did not say "built in America" as I know that a number of components of both HD and Indian are made outside the USA. However, I just like riding a brand that represents our great country. I started with a Triumph and that is when this feeling crystalized. So, this time when I went looking for a bike, I really only looked at the HD's, Vic's and Indians. Went with a RM in Black. If this bike does not work out, besides crying, I would look at the HD and Vic's again. That said, I did like the K1600 GTL :)

#22 ·
I'm in it for the long haul. If I the opportunity to get my HD. street Glide back that I traded and all the money I have in the deal there is no way I would ever do that. I love my Roadmaster and have only 1500 miles on it but Have had no issues worth mentioning. My windshield rattles when fully lowered. I will have my dealer fix that when I need to go in for something important. I would absolutely buy another Indian and would recommend any biker that has not ridden one to ride one before making a buying decision.

#23 ·
I would stay with the Vintage. I can't say I know alot about the internals of the bike but the skin is IMHO like no other on the road. I cansay t hat my die hard Harley friend who works on his own bikes would not go back. For me it is the grace and beauty that will keep me an owner.

#25 ·
I don't plan on getting another bike as I hope this one is my last. For a first year model, it's a very good bike right out of the box. Does it have some things that need refinement?, Sure, but I'm planning on doing the refinements needed as the aftermarket catches up to our needs.

I spent a ton of money on my HD to make it into what it should have been. The Indian is a far better bike right from the showroom so I don't expect to put anywhere near the money or effort in making into a perfect ride.

#26 ·
Since you liked the F6B and have an Valk Interstate...I would go look at the Honda CTX1300 Deluxe. The specs sound pretty impressive....but not for me. I won't own a Honda again but only because I do both in town and distance and do not find the Goldwing/F6B good for goofing off around town.

Semper Fi,
Z

#28 ·
So far I am on board Indian for the long haul. Belt drive chirping seems to be finally fixed, the rest is almost all that I hoped it would be. Make the dash easier to read in the sunlight and a dash compass would be good. I'm really liking the rest an awful lot.

#29 ·
I love my Chieftain and don't think I would part with it willingly. I love the "Cadillac" feeling ride, the cornering and handling, the powerful engine that just keeps giving, the elegant flowing design of the fenders and saddle bags, the luxury features of keyless start and remote locking bags. This is the bike I always said, "someday I will own".

I also have a great dealership to work with, which really makes a huge difference. I have confidence that if I do run into issues, they will be there for me, because they have always been there in the past.

So, if (God forbid) something happened to my baby, I would most definitely buy another Indian.[joyful]

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.