Would you buy Another Indian ?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by jlig, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jlig

jlig Member

Just as I'm reaching my maturity (about to become a 'member') I had thoughts about my next bike. I go through bikes quite often and rarely keep a bike much over a year. I've had my Chieftain for less than 6 months and already I'm thinking about what I'll get next. For me it will NOT be another Indian. I like my Chieftain, but it does have some limitations and issues that annoy me. The biggest factors are lack of choice in handlebar conversions, front end that is unpredictable on rough roads, throttle by wire that is finicky and a weak electronics package.

Right now I'm thinking about sport touring bikes and wanting the next Motorcycle show to get here (Novemeber).

Anybody else thinking about their next bike already.

(Disclaimer - My NEXT post will give me the illustrious 'member' status .... Whoo Hoo !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. jlig

jlig Member

No More Junior Member ........ I'm now a MEMBER !!!!! :):):):)

• Like Like x 6
  3. Zipperhead Frankenberry

Zipperhead Frankenberry Senior Member

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. matko

matko Junior Member

hello Member :)

I am still waiting for my Scout. I am also already thinking ahead a little bit. I am planning on keeping the Scout for maybe year or two max, and then switching to something larger, or possibly having two motorcycles if $$$ and woman allow that. As far as brand, I actually love the idea of staying with Indian. I rented the Chief recently and I was really impressed. It is a great roadtrip cruiser. The only thing that I would change is the dealer. My Miami dealer officially sucks. He is about as interested in his customers as blind person is interested in 3D TVs. Next available dealer is in Pompano Beach, about 30 miles from where I live, so I would probably go with that one. But I am planning on staying with Indian for now.

5. mbrewer566

mbrewer566 Member

Demo a Scout...otherwise, the sport touring class is full of choices from Europe and Japan...

6. 953Vintage

953Vintage Junior Member

After a year and a half with my 14' Vintage, I'm moving over to a 15' Chieftain. Love my Vinytage and I wish I could have both but after 30 yrs. on HD's, I'm staying with Indian.....for now.
    I'm intrigued by the Honda F6B.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  7. geewago

geewago Member

jlig, it sounds like you're one that just doesn't stay happy with any cycle for long. Maybe you should just live on craiglist and buy a bunch of cheap low mileage whatevers. Then you could ride a different one every day.

You mention a finicky throttle, a poor front end, & limited choices of handlebars. Of all all the bikes I've ever rode, those three things seem to be very superior to me. My very reason for liking Indian. So, Yes, at this point I would buy another one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. NorthernProducer

NorthernProducer Silver Member

Hey jlig...Congrats on finally receiving "Member" status!

It's funny you ask the question about whether any of us feel as you do about the next bike NOT being an Indian. My wife has asked the same question of me since she is not happy with how Polaris has handled the Scout roll-out (note: she cancelled her Scout order when it was obvious they weren't going to be delivered when promised). As some here may recall my review of my Scout and the unsolicited inquiries from the Polaris Communications Department "team", and given those experiences, I have to admit that I am doubtful on my next bike being a Polaris made bike. I know many here enjoy their Chief's and some are disappointed with their clackers, electronic malfunctions, soft paint, dealers that just do not have adequate experience with the product and a manufacturer that seems to be wavering on support with some here. It's too early for a judgement call on the Scouts (except for the huge delays in accessories and the outrageous pricing) , but I have to admit that mine was not well screwed together. I'm not ready to run to HD either, as I do not like their current business model and my area dealers are too akin to a fly-by-night carnival operation. I will keep my 2007 HD Patriot Edition for those parades that involve support for a fallen Vet.

I'll probably always have a European bike in the garage and might replace the Scout with another brand when the time comes...maybe after this riding season. From what I see developing here with Gort's efforts at stimulating a response from the powers at Polaris and my own unanswered inquiries from their Customer Support, it seems that Polaris is undergoing a change in how they deal with customers (both dealers and us)...and it's not looking good at the moment.

In any case, let us know what you decide as a replacement for your Indian, and if it's not too personal, what kind of trade-in or selling price range you expect to get on your Indian.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. builder

builder Bronze Member

I haven't ridden a bike that didn't have a finicky something or other. I have fewer complaints on my Chieftain than any other bike I've owned. Yes, I would buy another Indian.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jlig

jlig Member

953, I had an F6B for about a year. Fantastic machine. I'd rate it above the Chieftain in terms of performance, handling and engineering. Really a superb machine. For me, however it was just a bit too tall and somewhat uncomfortable in the seating area. But that is just me. I can highly recommend the F6B.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jlig

jlig Member

I do somewhat dabble in the used market. As you can see by my sig I have 2 other bikes in the garage right now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTyndale

DTyndale Senior Member

congratulations! I hope to join you one day in that club...

I have been watching too many youtube videos and vacillate between the next purchase of a Roadmaster or a Chieftain. The main reason is either for my wife to ride on the back or I ride the big bike and she ride the Scout.

I am curious what Indian will release next and/or wait for the 2016 models to see what improvements are made to the bikes.

13. GBR

GBR Member

No. But this is because this will be my last motorcycle purchase. I plan to put between 5000 to 10,000 miles on the RM on road trips this year and then sell it. My wife has a bad back but hopefully she can make it thru the year before she needs surgery. I got 2 mancations lined up for this summer and the wife wanted to ride the Rockies. If she can't make it then I have 2 mancations and 1 solo ride.

14. CaptC

CaptC Junior Member

I have had several brands of bikes; never had a bad one. Some required more "adjustment" than others. For me, there is no perfect bike. I've had a Chief for nine months now. No complaints whatsoever. I feel good about the Chief, it suits me just fine. The "fit" and comfort is the best I have had. Handling is excellent.

Dealer has been super. I bought it at Ft. Hood Indian. $1,000 military (Ret) discount plus $1,000 accessory allowance (windshield, windshield bag with concho, and luggage rack). Plus, they gave me $2,500.00 above two HD dealerships offered for trade-in. I was told the luggage rack would be about three months for delivery. They were wrong. It came in about six weeks. I now use Mission Indian due to proximity. They too, have excellent service. These are the only two Indian dealers I have dealt with. Both are very good.

I bought the Indian Chief Classic in black because of the looks. After the way the bike has performed for me, I feel so lucky the bike has reliability to go with the looks.

At this point, yes, I would buy another Indian.

Regards.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. fast eddie

fast eddie Member

I tend to keep cars and bikes for a long time. Drive a 07 Mustang I bought new. Probably keep it 8 more years. Plan on keeping Chief another 20 years. I like The new Honda Valkyrie. But sitting on it didn't fit me right. Also the new Moto Guzzi Eldorado, BMW R nine T, KTM Super Adventure, MV Agusta Dragster, And Ducati Scrambler. I like all motorcycles but so many decisions.[woot]

• Agree Agree x 2