What's a REASONABLE discount off MSRP?

Discussion in 'Indian Roadmaster' started by PeteInMD, May 17, 2017.

1. PeteInMD

PeteInMD IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Recognizing that the dealer / salesperson also has to pay the rent, what do you all think is a reasonable walk-away discount for a current year (2017) bike? My thought is that 10% would be average and anything over that would be considered very good.

Do you guys agree?

2. TheBru

TheBru Member

Don't know if there is a standard. I just walked in with a number I would pay and when they hit it I bought it, including a few mods. 10% seems like a lot. That's $2800 off a $28000 bike.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. TigerGA

TigerGA Senior Member

I agree on 10% being a lot for a bike...after I got the $1500 off for veterans/public safety, I think I got another $500 off my 16 RM. Of course, if there's a trade-in involved, the numbers can get skewed.

4. MilwDave

MilwDave Member

I would say that 5% is a generous discount on a current year bike. If you want that kind of discount you'll likely have to wait until midwinter and buy last year's model.

Remember there is difference between the dealer discounting the bike and the rebate(s) from Polaris.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PeteInMD

PeteInMD IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Thank you guys, that's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I'm not planning a trade in, and I'm not a vet so I don't qualify for any specific promotions. I guess I'm relying solely on the dealer's wiggle room. Sounds like the best I can hope for is a few hundred $, or maybe them including the extended reach bars?

6. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

That should work............sounds like its within reason. Here are my tips.........
    1. Purchase the bike a few days before the end of the month. Polaris keeps monthly sales figures and ranks dealers this way so any dealer will want that extra deal. Plus its payday ending for sales and sales management.
    2. Tell them you CAN get this deal at another dealer but its a long way off and you'd rather buy it here from them
    3. Be nice.......don't get huffy or haughty and almighty. If your credit is good and you appear to be legitimate, no dealer I know will let you walk to another store and buy a bike. You are staying and I will do whatever to get you in a bike and make you happy.
    4. Be prepared to sit and BS a little. Going in about an hr and a half before closing at the end of the month help a lot. The attitude will be to get 'you done' and on the road killing bugs
    5. If you think they and you are the end of the bargaining process and you still want more like accessories, ask to be sold those at cost or a generous 20% discount and you will gladly pay that. Just make it nice for both parties. Take your time and have fun.............its not a brutal deal. Can be if you make it that. Good luck. And don't let color be the absolute buying factor either. Go for the deal. Go for the model you want and the deal. Maybe a left over 2016 (?) Just ask for a brother - in - law deal.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TheBru

TheBru Member

Also, if your financing they will certainly try to sell you accessories. $1000 worth isn't much broken down per month.
    I paid cash, however the dealer had the backrest and rear crash bars already on there. Wife ain't letting me leave without the backrest and I wanted the bars, and at that time there wasn't any after market, so no problem. Still walked away with the price I wanted to pay. Also got them to throw in an extended warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShiffJ

ShiffJ Senior Member

Considering they probably have 2k or more in "assembly" fees then I don't think 10% is too far off.

The dealer will make money. This whole "dealers gotta eat" stuff is just bullshit.

They will make money on the deal. If not from you, they will make thousands off some other sucker..

9. aussiekeeper

aussiekeeper Bronze Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. circ

circ Member

This is not the auto industry which you can usually go 8-9% on current model year. Motorcycles on non current models off season maybe you can match that. I'd say 5% would be fair and you could move that into the 10% range if your taking the discount in options and gear. So if you want $2500.00 off and are keen on upgrades and jackets etc they can work a deal.
    Always remember your not dealing in China and people need work and to eat. The front end of the dealer doesn't make the "big" profits, the back end carries the day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ShiffJ

ShiffJ Senior Member

It's no wonder bike prices are so high. People will pay anything and feel bad they asked for anything off from the poor, distressed dealer.

Make the best deal for you and do not give a rats ass about the dealer. If one dealer won't do it, walk away to another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joegopher

Joegopher Member

Those costs look about right based on what I have seen and heard from some dealer friends. While 5% doesn't seem like a lot, it is eating in to the margins of what they make. It all depends on how they structure things. Setup fees can be negotiated. Freight? Perhaps.

In the end you have to make a deal you feel comfortable with and create a relationship with your dealer. Having a good term deal with them can pay off dividends in the future when you may have a warranty claim.

13. aussiekeeper

aussiekeeper Bronze Member

Generally , I tell them I will pay list price, but that price is out the door. It has served me well and the dealer makes a fair profit to keep the lights on......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. sureUdid

sureUdid Junior Member

This is all very good info here. Dealers know for most people a motorcycle is a luxury item so you wouldn't be there if you didn't really want it and this puts the buyer at a disadvantage right from the start. I think it helps if you can at least appear to have a walk away attitude. Not a my way or the highway attitude but a do I really want this or a Harley attitude, lol. I recently purchased a 17 Chieftain. I tried to hit hard on the accessories and managed $1000 right before Polaris started offering it. I'm not sure about the markup on bikes but they have got to be making a killing on accessories. I also got the $1500 trade in incentive from Polaris and some off the sticker.
    I also believe supply and demand as well as your location in the country factors in on the deal. I'm I Nashville, TN and can walk in and purchase an Elite where as other parts of the country have a waiting list.
    All in all I think timing and attitude are your options to work the best deal.
    I would never buy a bike or anything else for that matter, on the same day as I first look at it, unless it was a one of a kind type of thing.
    Good luck to all, I love my Indian.

15. Doc Holaday

Doc Holaday Junior Member

Paperwork said the bike was full price. Got a discount on some of the accessories/parts i had added and 2 summer jackets for free.

• Like Like x 1