What Would You Be Riding If Polaris Didn't Buy Indian

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by vintage, May 13, 2017.

1. vintage

vintage Senior Member

I hate to admit it but I was about to buy another Harley after selling my Softail Blackline. A Street Glide Special or Road King Special would be sitting in my garage, had I not visited a Indian dealer while on vacation. The Harley's are nice bikes, but don't give them a second look after owning my Indian.
    download (1).jpg download (2).jpg .
    SDC10161.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

Victory or HD for sure. I miss my Victory anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chilly Bear

Chilly Bear Member

Probably have to go look at one of these.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Some guy named Steve

Some guy named Steve Senior Member

I would still have my ACE. Saw the Indian rep at the rally two and a half years ago and didn't really think of getting one until last year. Finances changed and the ability to buy was there. No interest in other bikes. I would have been happy to ride the Honda into the ground.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TN1WR

TN1WR Gold Member

I was on my way to work on a deal for a Streetglide at Sauk Prairie Harley-Davidson, when I drove down to Indian of Madison for the heck of it to do a quick test ride on an Indian motorcycle before going back to the H-D dealership and buying the Streetglide. So much for that idea. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Material man

Material man Senior Member

Probably still be on my Road King

7. J Backlund

J Backlund Bronze Member

Probably two less expensive bikes, a used Kawasaki ZX14, and a new Triumph T120 Bonneville are top contenders at the moment.

I won't be buying another Indian after my '16 Vintage is gone.

My Indian Vintage is just one of our six bikes. A BMW, Yamaha, Royal Enfield, Harley, and a Moto Guzzi.

Both the Indian and Yamaha, and likely the Harley, will be sold and gone, hopefully within a year, and replaced with at least one new machine, brand undetermined at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. J Backlund

J Backlund Bronze Member

They could at least have a light background, or maybe a 40 watt bulb lit up somewhere in the studio so you could at least see that black blob they're trying to photograph.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARINDIAN

ARINDIAN Junior Member

Almost bought an ultra limited before I bought the Roadmaster. So, I'd either have that or a BMW GS. Test rode a Triple Black GS last week and really like it. That may be in my garage at some point also.

• Like Like x 2
  10. scotty

scotty Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster

If I hadn't purchased my Indian....
    I'd still be switching between my 2004 VTX 1300 R
    and my 2012 GL1800 Goldwing

The 2015 Indian Roadmaster gives me the best of both previous worlds

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PrometheusVII

PrometheusVII Junior Member

I Still have my Victory Cross Country. But if I needed a new one, I'd either buy one of the last new Victorys available, or a Harley Street Glide. I'm not brand loyal, I'm road loyal. And when it calls, I ride, it doesn't matter what it is.

Were it not one of those, BMW makes a solid machine, I've wanted to try one of those 2300cc Triumph cruiser Beasts, or a rock solid reliable Gold Wing.

Just give me a winding road, and a dependable motorcycle to ride it with...

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 6:37 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SterlingDrive

SterlingDrive Bronze Member

Ducati's and H/D. Still enjoy my RM the best.

Good riding.

Dave

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Tennessee

Tennessee Member

If that is your Jack Daniels it might not be a fair comparison to a Road King or Street Glide. That being said, personally I am not sure what I would buy. I'm not a big HD fan anymore. My 2015 Ultra Limited Low was recalled for brakes, (the ABS valve), rear bags falling off, and a reflash of some sort.
    Going back a bit, I was riding a Suzuki M109R two years ago, basically with a seat that was a bit too high for my older body, and way too much horsepower.
    Even though Indian was available at the time, I didn't even think of them when I went to the HD dealer and traded the M109 for the new Ultra Limited Low, looking for a much easier way to ride with my wife on the back, and have my feet planted nicely every time I stopped.
    I wasn't too keen on the way HD's started in 2015, (now finally corrected with the 107), and to be honest, although it was low, and you sort of rode in it, it was still a bit cramped. I was not a fan of the slowness of the GPS/Music system, and mostly only let it go to FM radio. It also had a bit of wobble in the front end when slow turning that HD said was normal. I felt the shocks were too soft. NOT the death wobble - never felt that.
    I thought a lot about Goldwings during that time, until I saw the first Indian Roadmaster in my town, owned by a rich business owner. Then another one, maybe a Chieftain, I don't remember.
    I started looking at them on the Internet, fell in love, and about 45 days later, my Ultra was history and a new beautiful 2016 RM was my new ride. My wife and I love it, and we don't miss the HD Ultra Limited Low at all.

Ironically, my dealer, who in the deal paid off my HD as part of the trade, put it up for what the payoff was. Then, after about three months, he dropped the price $500. After about seven more months of it rotting on his floor with only 414 miles on it, he finally dropped it $2000 more, and about a month after that, it finally sold. It showed how the 107 put a nail in the coffin of the 103.
    Still, my dealer still says, (just talked to him last week), that his second best profit center, after Indian sales, are the sales of used HD's traded in on Indians. Just not newer ones that would still command mid-twenties in price.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

Triumph Tiger or a Scrambler from BMW or Ducati

never a HD. Too boring and plain

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. markgod

markgod Member

10643294_10201316891003970_2103012259_n.jpg My Kawasaki Vaquerro
    10647767_10201316891523983_308455447_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2