What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by mtnstryder, May 16, 2017.

1. mtnstryder

mtnstryder Junior Member

Ok, I know that Indians are selling like hotcakes, but is there any dealing going on? What would one expect to pay if paying cash for a two-tone '17 RM? How about a '12 XCT trade with 11000 miles? Opinions?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Americal23

Americal23 11th Light Infantry Brigade

Cash is king. Talk some smack and move on if you have to. Plenty of deals out there for 17's this fall if you can wait

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Cheezyrider

Cheezyrider Junior Member

No idea where ya got the idea that they are selling like hotcakes.. There are scores of 14 thru 16 left overs sitting in shops with outstandingly reduced prices.. Personally, I would make some phone calls into Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa dealerships.. Or,, grab an AutoRV for those areas.. I can get some phone numbers if your interested.. Simply put - the huge deals are out there,, ya may have to pay a few hundred bucks shipping and get Polaris involved in telling your local dealership they will be handling any warranty work but - its VERY doable!!!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

I'm confused about your last statement. Why would Polaris be involved? You can have warranty work at any Indian dealer in the World, anytime.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Cheezyrider

Cheezyrider Junior Member

Because Polaris Industries (not "The Indian Motorcycle Company" as some would think) holds the note on all of their franchise agreements with their dealership network. Those "Indian Motorcycle" stores/shops/dealerships that sell Indian Motorcycles are acutally selling Polaris Motorcycles.. That understood, should a transient Polaris motorcycle go lame and need warranty work most of Polaris's dealerships will welcome it in for service and, by rule of courtesy - take care of the need as quickly as possible (best case scenario). Now take that same machine that was sold originally by another dealer only this time the machines needs are not transient in nature = to some dealers this is a problem (they dont want to have permenant care of a bike they didnt sell. Many people think that warranty care is a simple matter = its broke, fix it.. It doesnt work like that. Lots of hours are spent playing "tennis" with Polairs about whats covered and whats not = gets very expensive for the dealerships and, when they werent the ones who recieved the intitial profits from the original sale they can oft times feel cheated - in that case, the owner suffers with poor care of his bike.. If that happens (and it does - A LOT) in many cases it takes corporate Polaris to step in and force the dealerships to comply..

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Whatscooking

Whatscooking Junior Member

I called the Toledo Ohio dealer and got their out the door price after my local dealer showed little interest in wanting to take my Harley in trade, they had about as many used Harleys sitting as Indians already. Then I said this is the price I will pay, they came around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

Cash isn't king to a dealer. They make more money if you finance due to interest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

Exactly! Finance it then pay it off first month, but don't tell the dealer that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

I don't believe this at all. In my 40+ years of riding I have never seen a dealer that didn't want warranty work. "By rule of courtesy", try by rule of law. I have 2 dealers other than the one I purchased from that want my warranty work, practically begged for it. Dealers make good money on warranty work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. barnbiketom

barnbiketom Junior Member

Although they don't make as much as customer pay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nazgul

Nazgul Junior Member

Might be some truth to this. Bought my CDH several months ago and paid cash. I figured they would be more excited about it. It was sorta well ok.

The dealer has been very good to me. They are friendly and helpful, had the bike ready 2 days early because I asked. Stopped with a minor issue and they took it right in, fixed in 30 minutes. Can't say enough about them.

Don

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hatt

Hatt Gold Member

Boy! You sure "know" alot of "facts" that nobody else seems to know.....
    But I'll share my story. Since it's completely devoid and contrary to all of what you said.
    I bought a used scout from a used outfit. In the neighboring state. No new bikes, all auction, or trades. No dealer. And not Indian..
    When I went to transfer warranty at my closest Indian dealer, they did so gladly.
    They saw my seat and it's 2 blems that I considered patina and offered to replace it .
    I didnt ask, I did not show them. It was like that when I got it used. They saw it, and I rode out with a new seat. After my first time there.
    Then, when I had a a flywheel problem they had me fixed up in around a week and did so with a smile..
    Since, then, I have been treated great. I even get check in calls on my bike now and again.
    How much money did they get from me at that time? ZERO... but they still jumped over them self's to service an Indian warranty and take care of me. Oh, and since I waited about 3 months to transfer, they were in their right to deny tranfer.. instead, they offered me a new seat, and transferred the warranty..

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nazgul

Nazgul Junior Member

I worked in the material handling business for over 35 years, filed the warranty claims for them. Warranty is paid at a fixed or reduced rate. Not a money maker. The number of claims filed was tracked as well to check for fraudulent claims.

Polaris may operate differently, however I suspect the dealers are taking care of their customer base to insure future sales. Not a bad business model.

Don

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

I understand, but doing warranty work pays a lot better than no work coming in. Keeps the help busy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ForPop

ForPop Junior Member

Loyalty used to be a two way street - support your local business and they will support you.
    If you still believe in loyalty? Buy local, or at least give your local guy/gal the opportunity to match a deal you have in writing.
    But local ain't what it used to be either. In todays world five hundred miles is around the corner. I remember when fifty miles was a trip.

Loyalty today - is to ones self. Kinda sad. imho

Good luck - whatever you do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1