Veterans Charity Ride to Sturgis : The Next Great Tradition!

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle News' started by wicked, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Celebrities are always under a microscope. This I know.
    Wahlberg claims to support the veteran cause but gets paid large money for the Wounded Warriors commercial(s). Which, by the way, has the worst record of amount of monies paid out to veteran help causes. Just 8%.
    The guy is reformed punk and made it big. I admire that in todays world. Buy yeah, there are many many others that Indian could have got instead. But Wahlberg seems to fit the 'bad boy billing' that the Scout was made for.
    Talk to the corporate marketing guys. Who else could be in his place? Jon Bon Jovi ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GreasySideUp

GreasySideUp Junior Member

Read Lone Survivor. It will take a day because you can't put it down. Then watch the movie. Then watch the making of the movie, and search for interviews about the movie.

Your opinions will likely change. He did it right. He has tremendous respect for veterans and knows the clear difference between soldiers and those acting as soldiers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

I saw it and there are threads on this. He took the part for the $$. He could have cared less. If that incident happened in vietnam, the Lone Survivor would probably be shot on the next patrol. Anytime an 'officer' lets several enlisted men let go hostages that will certainly within minutes tell of your position and get people killed needs to be drummed out of the service immediately. marcus Lutrell is no hero. Neither is Wahlberg who played his role. If it was anything other than Navy SEALS, the lone survivor here would be court martialed. This POS caused a chinook helo to get a RPG hit............ finding its mark and kill what? Another dozen people? Now add up insurance monies paid out and of course Lutrell I am sure is on full disability. A stupid and bad decision with poor leadership caused a mess and the movie writer turned this into a blockbuster. Not to mention half assed equipment checks. Why not do the same for Bo Bergdahl? At least he only got 5 people killed looking for him and he acted alone.
    Assuming the movie producer/director/writers got this all factual, only someone who never saw an ounce of real combat can agree with this story. Only the movie industry and feel - good public in the USA can turn this fiasco around which they made these 4 idiots look like hero's. Especially the parts where each one took multiple AK hits in the torso. And especially where two enlisted guys talk an officer into doing what he did. But there were SEALS and immune to scrutiny. Nobody had the smarts to gag those civilians and leave them tied up. With Taliban crawling around like they were, someone would have found them in 24 hours and the SEALS would be long gone. Bad radios and all. And back on a oil tender somewhere that they cannot hurt any more fellow sailors or soldiers.
    Oh I'm sure Walhberg knows the difference. Just check out his real combat experience(s).......right?? Nothing like asking a Hollywood actor how it really 'is'..........right? Your post has insulted real veterans. Just keep the TV on and learn more.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GreasySideUp

image.jpeg

Another 16. 20 total. RIP.

Attached Files:

5. GreasySideUp

6. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Nobody is arguing his acting skills. A
    lot of roles he is suited for playing the actor. But bottom line is the money. If not, he would donate his 'time' in making Wounded Warrior commercials. His little rant in the above post is directed at other actors. If he was such a bad ass..............why did he not go into the military and ask for the tough assignments he so proudly plays in the movies??
    GreasySideUp........you are living your life vicariously thru Walhberg. If you think thats the way to go, then have fun.

7. GreasySideUp

@Bwana6, thank you for your service. I've got 14 years in the military, I've been to Iraq twice, currently volunteer weekly at a war museum and donate regularly to military charities. I've worn a 31 Heroes wristband for the last few years to spark discussion on the subject. I am having fun, but most assuredly it is not by living vicariously through any actors.

My return from Iraq was vastly different than the return of my friends from Vietnam. I've had a lot of conversations about those differences. Our veterans from that era were spit on, had things thrown at them, were insulted and shunned. The distaste the public felt for the war was taken out on our soldiers. My experience has been completely different. While in Iraq, we were flooded with thank you letters and gift boxes from schools and organizations. We had thousands of hand written letters to lift up morale. On the return, the airport was lined with a hundred people to welcome us home. I can't walk in uniform in public without a "Thank you for your service" or someone insisting on buying my coffee or lunch.

Regardless of people's views on the war, they whole heartedly support our troops. I'd serve either way, but it feels good to know the public has my back.

I believe there are several reasons for this. The first is the veterans of your generation reaching out and making sure that what happened to them did not happen to us.

The second is the inundation of awareness provided to Joe American by celebrities and charities. Regardless of what you think about the Wounded Warrior Project and how they spent money (I am a small doner and have concerns) the amount of light they have shed on the needs of wounded veterans is outstanding. You can't flip channels for an hour without hearing about our veterans and that awareness is welcome and needed. Commercials cost money. I have no idea if Whalberg is paid for endorsements, quite frankly I don't care. I do know that I gained awareness of Motorcycle Therapy because of his involvement and a YouTube video I stumbled on, and I'm working to donate my time and money to this charity. It is a worthy cause. I appreciated when comedians and cheerleaders came to the front line and gave their time, compensated or not, they didn't have to be there. It made a difference to me and those I served with. It made a difference to wounded vets who have benefited from these charities. It made a difference to the vets who participated in the ride this thread is based on.

That is a good thing.

This charity is a good thing and a worthy cause.

8. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Let me tell you what Wounded Warriors do. First off they are less than 10% on giving what comes in.............in forms of donations. Less than 10%. Now put that against Paralyzed Veterans of America or the DA which are both way over 75%. Wounded Warriors ( lets call them WW ) pick and choose their recipients. Not anyone can call in and get help. No sir...........they cherry pick front page events, who to help, ect., and when they do 'help'...........they go all they way with THAT person. Forget about everyone else. The staff all makes well over 300K a year in salaries. They have a nice logo and are able to afford advertising as they are not across - the - board - giving live the other organizations. That is fact.
    Truth is, if you need help, you will most likely not get it from WW. But you will get legal help from the American Legion and VFW, DAV, and Paralyzed Veterans. Believe me, WW is all about lining the staff with a nice living. 10 years or so at 300K plus salary makes for a nice home and plenty of toys and a good life.
    I spent many years working with Stolen Valor busting fake Medal of Honor recipients, and those getting VA benefits and perks with fake discharges, ect. Federal judges have now struck down laws keeping medals 'sacred' and the only one protected is the medal of Honor now. And one can wear any uniform they please claiming bogus war stories at no cost to them legal - wise. You can only get into trouble by impersonating an active duty service member. So sayeth the federal courts. Plus Stolen Valor has now added to their staff civilian investigators who never wore a uniform in their life. This was my turning point. Time to move on.
    I became involved in many VA claims...........filings...........helping people get what they deserve. That too has changed. It all depends on the VA rater. One girl who lost an arm from an IED fights to keep 30% disability ( the VA rater says she can learn to write left handed ) while behind her sits some ghetto jitterbug who cut his calf requiring 18 stitches in basic training and gets 100%..........all due to a different rater. Then these raters retire after 20 years with the VA. But before retiring the claim carpal tunnel syndrome from office work and get 100% from their fellow rater seated across the room. Hows that?? So they double dip. All legal. The VA is one giant mess and this is supposed to be Obamacare in its prime after decades of trial and error.
    So while yes..........WW does help 'a chosen few'........your money is better spent elsewhere. Remember where YOU can get help. Going the WW way is not even close to be guaranteed. Every N vet I know has boycotted merchandise from those who support WW. Its that bad. They focus on the new stuff. The new wars. Korean War and VN War vets do not get anything from them. Its a fad organization making rich the founders and staff.
    Say what you want, do what you want. Its your $$. You are still young and will see this in a few years. I do thank you for your service. Anyone who can put up with the political correct BS in todays military deserves my salute.
    I/we could talk about this for years. In some ways this is a sore subject for me. I get disability but have never taken one dime of it. I change charities every two years. Humane Society, some churches, ASPCA, Ronald McDonald House, and its directly deposited to them. I do not see it. God gave me great health and strength and a few brain cells. I came back in one piece and this is my eternal thanks for that. I'm not so happy with the VA and how it treats those who depend on it for everything. The Tampa and St Pete Hospitals are very good at times and places in NY and Phoenix are modern horror palaces. How can this be? But anyways .............apologize for rambling on. I do enjoy spirited veterans conversations and opinions and I do appreciate yours. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  9. PakRat

PakRat Senior Member

Just for the record Wahlberg didn't get paid for Veteran's Charity Ride commercial....VCR doesn't have that kind of money. He also made a couple of personal videos to the veterans on the ride that weren't made public. His support seemed genuine to me and I have no reason to doubt him.

Regarding is 2A stance, that's unfortunate. We had a great time shooting at the Buffalo Chip shooting range, and even had select fire rifles and a ton of ammo and many pounds of tannerite.

Mary Dague, who was not on the ride with us but we met up in Sturgis. She was an EOD tech in Iraq. Had both her arms blown off on an IED disposal gone bad. They had to move the IED because it was next to a school and it went off when she moved it. Here she's shooting an AR-10 at a couple hundred yards, with some help.
    20160812_131058.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Said he gets paid big time for Wounded Warrior commercials.

11. PakRat

PakRat Senior Member

Understood but I don't want anyone to think Veteran's Charity Ride, which this thread is about, is associated with Wounded Warriors just because Wahlberg donated his time to us. I don't want anyone to assume Wahlberg was paid using VCR donations. Not only did Wounded Warriors dishonor themselves, they besmirched legitimate veterans charities.

VCR exists on a very small budget, it's very focused, and if it wasn't for the outstanding support from Indian Motorcycles (Steve Menneto and Robert Pandya personally), Monster Energy, Champion Sidecars, Buffalo Chip, Red Cliffs Lodge, and all the other sponsors it simply wouldn't exist.

• Like Like x 4
  12. BigRed

BigRed Junior Member

Whhat is the route for the next one? Are they staying with the last trip?

13. PakRat

PakRat Senior Member

I haven't heard (or asked) about the specifics for next year. I would be surprised if it's much different from 2016 as we got such a great reception everywhere we stopped. The Sturgis route probably won't be worked on until Spring or so. VCR does smaller runs all year around for veterans, and those aren't advertised nearly as much as the Sturgis ride. I know Indian Dave wants to expand to rides all over the country. He's a very busy guy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BigRed

BigRed Junior Member

I contacted VCR for more information.
    Thanks