Psychologically, do you feel different riding your Indian?

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Neocacher, May 14, 2017.

1. Neocacher

Neocacher Junior Member

...than you do or did when you ride your other bike or your ptrevious bikes? For me I thought I would, but not so much any more after a week of ownership. I still love my HD Deluxe. But my wife loves the added room and comfort RM.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Some guy named Steve

Some guy named Steve Bronze Member

At first I did, but after about a month, no. I did ride my ACE twice in the last year and both times I felt uncomfortable. The bike was too light and I had to relearn each time. So it got sold.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. reinie

reinie Silver Member

Not a great deal different, but then I've been riding for 47 years and this is my 19th motorcycle. I just appreciate this Chieftain for what it is. One hell of a nice motorcycle, the Cadillac of motorcycles in my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. chiefwannabe1

chiefwannabe1 Bronze Member

My head got bigger, had to loosen helmet......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. ARINDIAN

ARINDIAN Junior Member

It reminds me of the feeling I get when driving a very nice car. Sure, both get you from point a to b, but when you sit in a luxury car that everyone either can't or doesn't drive you have this feeling of exclusivity. It makes the overall experience more enjoyable.

Growing up, Harley was that kind of bike for me because it was basically your only upscale option. Also, no one I knew or lived remotely close could afford anything but Hondas, etc. So, if you owned a Harley you had something unique(at least where I was)

Now, I can't drive down the road without passing 5 Harleys. Indians on the other hand are still very rare even though I am close to one of the best dealers out there(Gregory Polaris). I actually stopped in a jewelry store yesterday to get my wife a gift and the salesman noticed my bike. He said, "Wow that's an Indian. Where did you find one of those things?" I was literally less than 10 miles from the dealership....

So, for me, I think I'll keep the exclusive feeling I get from my Indian at least until they saturate the market which I think will be a while down the road.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. driver10

driver10 Bronze Member

Always love to ride on matter what bike it is. But I like the sound of my RM over the quietness of the GW.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gina

gina Senior Member

I love all my bikes but the only ones that makes me fell different then anyone is riding the antiques. It is sometimes funny and scary to see peoples head turn when they are checking out the old bikes and trying to figure out what you are riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Material man

Material man Senior Member

I rode all the metric bikes when I was young and they were all I could afford. I liked them all and they got me where I needed to go. When I got my first Harley in 1977, I felt different when I rode it. I thought about it and realized it was because it was designed in America by a couple of guys in Wisconsin who started an American company. It was built by Americans in an American factory. The bikes are woven into the fabric of our country, and that means something to me. For me it's the same with Indian, they started the same way and were designed and built here. A proud American motorcycle. My father rode one back in the day. Yes the original Indian folded in 1953, but it too was part of our history and never forgotten. I get the same feeling riding my Indian today and I'm glad to see the brand back built and designed by an American company.

• Like Like x 5
  9. JayFL459

JayFL459 Gold Member

Enjoying Hell out of my CDH .. Even more than the Scout for the Extra Room and Comfort ..

• Like Like x 1
  10. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Bronze Member

Really a strange question. This is liking how you feel about making love with a woman? There is really no objective answer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sidecarsam

sidecarsam IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

An interesting question and to answer it properly one needs to look inside a little and try to look at yourself objectively (hard to do). Ask your friends if you are a different person depending one which bike you are riding. :)

12. jdmatthew

jdmatthew IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Since my previous riding was on sport bikes, yeah, it does feel different. You don't have to stay on top of it all the time, if you know what I mean. It will just smoothly track down the road--stretched out and plush. Much less stressful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. sidecarsam

sidecarsam IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I feel different, Psychologically, depending on which bike I am riding and what I am wearing when I ride. Some of my friends/aquaintenances, and people I don't know, look at me differently depending on what I am riding and wearing. :confused: I have a '74 Norton 850 Commando. :) When I ride that I tend to dress like the old Cafe Racers/Rockers (hooligans) and people look at me and treat me differently than when I am on my BMW K75 wearing my Gore-Tex Jacket and Full Face Helmet. ;) And there is a whole 'nuther way of being treated and looked at when I am on my Dark Horse and wearing my Leather Jacket and Spiked Helmet. o_O When people look at you differently and treat you differently, you tend to act differently. So in Answer to the original question: Yes I do feel differently Psychologically depending on which bike I am on, but I am still the same person. :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. jdmatthew

jdmatthew IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

You gotta post a picture of the spiked helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonscout

Jonscout Member

I am not sure I, personally or emotionally, feel different. But I have had to improve my conversation and technical skills about Indians. It seems that every time I stop, some one comments on my Scout. And, yes, I did feel better when I bought HD Sportster years ago before I realized that even HD riders think a Sportster is an inferior bike. Sportster totaled and decision on HD or Indian was no contest. The Scout looks and rides a lot better than the Sportster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1