Polaris Closind Down Victory Brand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mncp8r, Jan 9, 2017.

1. mncp8r

mncp8r Member

Story is on msn.com. Key points - sales of Victory peaked in 2012 and have gone down since - Indian and Slingshot will be the focus - Polaris says it will honor warranties and supply parts for 10 years.

Sorry about the duplicate topic but leaving the post for now since it has a summary.

2. PrometheusVII

PrometheusVII Junior Member

Not a bad summary, as summaries go. It's more akin to the crawl line under the primary news show.

Indian Motorcycle shows the power of a brand

This is a good read on the Indian side of this news...

3. HuskyDavidson

HuskyDavidson Diamond Member

The reason Victory would never be successful is because it was no different then Asian HD Knock offs..
    A wannabe...

Indian??
    The Kings Mountain was a outstanding example of going the extra mile for quality sake.
    And it failed

Polaris Indian ? Is still a question mark..

But I do know that this is popular and sells.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vintage

vintage Senior Member

No question mark in my mind about Polaris Indian being successful . What they've done in 3 years would take most companies 30 years. The big question I think about is how quick it takes Indian to out sell HD.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mike F

Mike F Junior Member

I know you should never say never, but Indian outselling HD will never happen..

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. HuskyDavidson

HuskyDavidson Diamond Member

Indian nor Polaris will ever have this heritage to attract and sell.
    Not sure why but they left out the shovel, knuckle and of course the new M8....
    [cigar] The charisma of the 45 degree twin.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  7. vintage

vintage Senior Member

Only time will tell. And remember it's happened before, it can happen again.

8. vintage

vintage Senior Member

Indian already has the heritage and charisma. Only thing Indian doesn't have that HD does is the Coolaid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

When that engine came out in 48, the die hard Harley guys thought it ugly and its sales were not real strong for a few years................hence the scarcity of early panheads and the popularity of last 2 years of knuckleheads. I agree it is a cool motor............looks - wise but its a dog and leaks oil. I have a 56 FLH here and you can't ride it anywhere without a drip pan and its all NEW seals put in by guys who know the business but nevertheless, it is cool to hear on a humid night going thru the gears.
    You get up to Sedona/Jerome area, let me know........take care.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Just looking at facilities alone, Indian will never produce or sell 10% or 15% of what HD makes/sells. Fact. HD hawks 250,000 bikes a year. Do the math here. It may never be 10% ................
    Just please make a great motorcycle and numbers are another thing. But the HD people have been around uninterrupted for many many scores of decades. You will need to get i na time machine and even in the year 2355, Indian will not come close here. Their concentration is on ATV's, remember? NOT bikes but yeah, since the Indian took off and has the name, that'll do here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Or the dealer network, or the service, or the government business, or the police business, or the overseas business................geez.............want to keep going on? Like the aftermarket? Millions have been made and thousands employed because of Harley aftermarket. Keep going??

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. vintage

vintage Senior Member

Here's my personal experences with Harley. Been There, Done That, And Don't Care To Go There Again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mluzzy1

mluzzy1 Junior Member

It's funny to see someone say this. I have no idea if you ever owned a Victory , but since I did , I'm qualified to weigh in. Back when I came off big sport bikes and discovered vtwins, it was the mid 90's. I had a couple Honda's and then ended up on a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan. It was one of the bigger twins at the time. It was a performance pig. It did pretty much everything BAD. Looked pretty cool , like an HD knock off. Then in 99 I got wind of a new American designed and built v twin. It had names like Fox Racing,Marzocchi, and Brembo in it's list of components. Standard equipment INCLUDED fuel injection. I bought a KYSO (knock your socks off) blue one - the 124th one they produced. I put about 25,000 miles on it before I bought another new Victory and learned in the mean time that riding a Twin COULD be fun. Around 2004 I rented and Ultra Classic in San Francisco for a couple days because I was in Napa and had friends who rode Victory's that wanted to give me a tour of the west coast. It was like I hopped right back on the Kawi again. Pretty much a pig compared to my Victory.

Unfortunately success is measured in dollar signs for corporations. And that's about the only part they didn't succeed in. They took on a company that at it's peak sold 350,000 units a year. A company that for years succeeded because of a name , not innovation or engineering. They forced Fuel Injection to become the norm in the American Twin market. They designed and built bikes that you could actually pick out in a crowd . Polaris took everything it learned and poured it into Indian. Without Victory there would no Indian today. My last Victory owned was a 4 years ago just before I bought my Chieftain . My Dad had a 1948 Chief. I had always wanted one but didn't want a HD clone for a heart. The power plus 100 was flat out dismal reliability wise. When Polaris bought Indian i bought a first year 111. I did it because my Victory's were ridiculously reliable. So after 15 years of riding Victory I can say they WERE successful and they definitely were NOT Asian HD Kncokoffs. And judging by the outcry this week , I bet every current or past owner would probably agree.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. PrometheusVII

PrometheusVII Junior Member

Come now, you know Husky is just our local troll, right? He's like that dog you might have that won't stop peeing on the carpet, but he's so hilarious when he humps his stuffed animal toy when company is over, that you just can't get rid of him. He is just here to stir up shit when any opportunity presents itself.

To be fair, he is pretty knowledgeable on some subjects, so he can be useful, even if most of the time it's an example of what not to do/be...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. mluzzy1

mluzzy1 Junior Member

LOL! That's funny:)

• Agree Agree x 3