Polaris closes Victory!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by N. Cognito, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Joegopher

Joegopher Member

I'm not necessarily buying that excuse for getting rid of a Vic, but to each their own. Vic's are notoriously reliable, regardless of what you read on the boards, and if being afraid of not having a dealer within 25-50 miles is a reason for dumping, so be it. I have logged over 125K of miles on a Victory, and never once worried about being somewhere where a dealer is close by. Having said that, I am comfortable doing all the work on my bikes and know that not everyone feels the same way.

As for the dealers, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. There are very few Victory-only dealers, so converting them is a no-brainer. There are a handful of dealers that have taken the time, and spent the $$$ to open the Indian dealership that started out with Vic and have both, they won't change they'll just lose Vic. My concern is what happens with all of the Vic dealers that are Polaris focused and sell the Vic line? The multi-brand shops will be fine, but there are many Polaris shops that have Victory as their only bike line and are good dealers. Will they get Indian (assuming they want it, of course...)?

2. Divinedark

Divinedark IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

This news makes me sick to my stomach. I'm hoping the bean counters don't decide that they should exit the motorcycle business all together. I traded a perfect H-D for my Dark Horse. If they close or sell Indian... I may riot.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

Might be a great time to shop for a second bike at Vic if you're into fugly. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Gold Member

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    I know of a few Victory owners that recently traded their bikes for new models. And they didn't go Victory but went Honda. So in their own ranks there must be reasons they switched. When I test rode 2 models the one thing that stuck out was they seemed cheap compared to Indian. Like Chevy to a Caddy. Now why they did what they did with the Octane to compete with the Indian is beyond me unless the Scout was supposed to be a Victory from the get-go. To me if you are going to have two brands they better be completely different. That just didn't seem to be the case here. I could seem making Victory the sportier entry level brand though. Who knows what Polaris has up it's sleeve. Now seems like an odd time to drop a brand though unless there are deeper problems that may not be so good for Indian as well. Two wheelers really isn't in the Polaris suite of products. I'm just not sure if this isn't just the first of more to come.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Geronimo

Geronimo Senior Member

I agree. Polaris doesn't have the development cash to keep two brands flush with fresh bikes, unless they were highly derivative of each other (IE Scout and Octane). They see Indian as the stronger brand with more growth potential. I know of two Indian only dealers, Charlotte, NC and Springfield MA. Both also host a large collection of original Springfield Indians and accessories, as well as build customs, so they arguably do a better job selling the brand than most Indian/Victory/Victory/Yamaha/Honda/Slingshot/Polaris Snowmobiles/Propane and Propane accessories dealers. I believe Greensboro NC opened as Indian only, but currently sell Victory and Slingshot as well. I honestly doubt Victory contributes much to the bottom line otherwise what are they doing with this move?

I think long term this is the smart move. Folks have been clamoring for more performance oriented Indians and now Polaris can deliver without worrying if it steps on Victory's toes. The Indian brand and image just goes a lot further in selling an otherwise similar motorcycle than the Victory brand did.

I wonder what Polaris will do with their E-bikes now? Polaris brand or will they be sold as Indians? I wouldn't have an issue with Indian E-bikes, but they would need a makeover to fit the brand image first.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nyparrothead

Nyparrothead Member

Sad news for our community... my son works at the plant..

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Texas Hill Country

In 1975 I bought a new Norton Commando for $1,500....The end of another era.

8. Slinger

Slinger Junior Member

There is a Vic only dealer near me and the nearest Indian dealer is 150 miles away. I hope the Vic dealer will switch over. Sad news for Vic owners though.

9. marcguet

marcguet Member

I wonder if they tried to sell the Victory brand before deciding to stop production? I have friends that ride Victory and they are ok looking bikes though they lack style that Indians and HD's have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nyparrothead

Nyparrothead Member

The employees are back this week after the shutdown... going to be a shock for them

11. Roadie

Roadie Platinum Member

Hope many dealers are willing and can afford to change over to Indian, we could use a higher condensation of Indian Dealerships

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. old4x4

old4x4 Junior Member

Whew! I almost bought a Highball, but figured the wife would be more comfy on the Dark Horse. 1100 dollars of passenger stuff and 4 months later, she decides to get her own bike [arghh]!
    I guess there was a silver lining to that one. I would of DEFINITELY gone with the Vic had I know this at the time (BUT I LOVE MY DH)

13. Hawgrunner

Hawgrunner Senior Member

Thought about a Octane, already had a Scout and think the Victory is a little better.

14. Roadie

Roadie Platinum Member

That is why Polaris closed the plant for 4 weeks this last December.

They were shutting down the victory line at that time and moving things to a full-time Indian line.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Roadie

Roadie Platinum Member