Polaris closes Victory!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by N. Cognito, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Shuje Sunge

Shuje Sunge Super Moderator Staff Member Moderating

There is a guy that works with me, he bought a Scout a bit over a year ago. He was contacted by a research firm who paid him to come to a local facility and answer questions about his purchase. He was told not to discuss the content of the meeting, and he didn't, but the majority of the one hour "research" was to find out why he bought a Scout and not the 2 other comparable Victory models. I found that odd, but makes sense now.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Orona_El_Nomad

Orona_El_Nomad Member

I agree, not the most horrible looking engine, but certainly looks too plain. which is the reason why I chose a raider over a gunner, even tho that 6th gear transmission was a hard one to get over (raider only has 5 gears).
    Looking back, may be the Octane was the last bullet for victory. seeing the crowd didnt respond as good as they expected, they decided to put it down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. IaGary

IaGary Junior Member

No red X anymore, so can I throw a carrot at him...:)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Joegopher

Joegopher Member

That's a fair point, but if you believe the rumors and the Octane came out as originally planned, it may have had a different response. Of course then the Scout may have been derided...

5. Dean E

Dean E Bronze Member

I don't see a huge flocking of Victory owners to the Indians. These are very different styles of bikes not to mention a huge price difference. I bet Lloydz will now spend a great deal of time and resources on Indians now. Dean

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Meggie

Meggie Gold Member

First, it's a natural process, as described by the Austrian economist Joseph Schumpeter in 1942: "The opening up of new markets, foreign or domestic, and the organizational development from the craft shop to such concerns as U.S. Steel illustrate the same process of industrial mutation—if I may use that biological term—that incessantly revolutionizes the economic structure from within, incessantly destroying the old one, incessantly creating a new one. This process of Creative Destruction is the essential fact about capitalism."

Second, as an industry follower and an Indian owner, it was obvious that something had to give. I, too, believe that Indian has tremendous potential but that Polaris had too many irons in the fire.

Third, my only real concern is the distribution strategy. Has anyone seen evidence that Indian-only outlets make economic sense? Can they move the number of bikes needed to keep the lights on? If not (my hypothesis), what else can they sell? Other Polaris products? Other motorcycles? Parts and apparel are not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. WhiteBuffalo

WhiteBuffalo Member

Exactly what I was thinking. It might be the same company making the engine and designing the handling and ergonomics, but there is a lot to be said for looks. I think more will switch to Harley for the harder-edged looking bike over Indian's softer vintage look.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Alamoman

Alamoman Junior Member

It's contraction of the market. Too many bike brands and not enough new customers.

As a HD owner, I sincerely hope Indian stays in the market long term. It will keep both brands innovating and we all benefit as riders.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Sphinx327

Sphinx327 Junior Member

One thing a guy at work who had a Vision said was the lack of dealers and service departments was a big reason he got rid of his. I hope this means there may end up being a better dealer network for Indians. I just bought mine and I REALLY don't want to regret spending the coin I just spent in 5 years

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cscott21

cscott21 Junior Member

In my neck of the woods a lot of the club guys ride Vics, I certainly don't see them going to Honda, probably not Indian. They may not care, but I believe Polaris just handed that part of the business to HD.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. Loki

Loki Senior Member

Moving bikes doesn't keep dealerships open. Moving t-shirts and service keeps dealerships open.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. vintage

vintage Senior Member

I think Polaris finely figured out that it's extremely difficult to burn the candle from both ends. What Indian has done for them in a few years, is more than Victory could do in 18 years. Not trying to bash Victory just saying survival of the fittest. With its main competition HD being so rich in history. IndIan was the only brand that could bring that to the table for them. And it's working. Consumers love a bike with a long american history. Heck that's what kept HD going in the lean years. Everyone loves a good fight, Indian vs Harley the rematch of the century.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Tat2ace

Tat2ace Junior Member

Who just bought an Octane?

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

No bike sales = no service or shirt sales

15. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Texas Hill Country

My inside sources at Polaris attribute this development directly to the participation levels of THIS FORUM.

They read a post here that was critical of the Victory styling....that was all it took to convince them to pull the plug on that brand.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1