1. mr2dogz

mr2dogz Junior Member

Hi all
    I've been looking at the pcv and the pvcx and I am not to sure which one is better.I have just fitted a full vance hines s/s exhaust system and a trask powerflow filter.I was going to put a pcv and have the scout rolling road tuned but now seeing the pvcx I am not sure.Any help would be great.

2. TheChad

TheChad IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Lots of threads about this... See Reflash vs. PCV?

Personally, I like the idea of having the control the Dynojet PVCX offers without having to install a piggy-back system. Flash it and remove it. You do lose any on-demand tune options, but I'm ok with that. I have a list of mods I want to do myself to my '17 Roadmaster and the PVCX was the first thing I ordered... Get it tomorrow (from FuelMoto). Figure even without any mods I can put a fuelmoto tune on it and cool it down a bit.
    Next steps:
    1. Cat-less header - Maybe true duals, maybe stock minus cat, maybe fuelmoto jackpot... will see
    2. Vance and Hines turn downs.
    3. Indian AC or maybe some other AC
    4. Cams
    Figured I'd to all of these myself except the cams.

Bottom line, I think it's a matter of preference... My 2c

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PrometheusVII

PrometheusVII Junior Member

It really depends on how deeply you intend to get into the "Tune" of your bike. The PCV is very straight forward, but it is a "Piggyback" system. That's not a bad thing, the PCV is a well vetted proven performer, I have 2 on Victory bikes, never a "real" problem.

I say "real" problem because my wife had a problem where if she attempted to start the bike and it failed, and sh immediately went for a restart, the bike would sputter and run like hell. If she shut it off after a failed start, just for a second, then restarted, it ran fine. Turns out the PCV needed a quick moment to reset between starts. By the way, my HID module does the same thing on my bike, too quick and it doesn't light. After figuring this out, neither of us has had a problem.

The PVCX just reprograms a facet of the existing Bosch electrical that run our bikes. Not only does it offer us and our well paid technicians the ability to adjust things like throttle response (and many more, I just can't think of them off hand), but it is not a piggybacked system. You plug it up, flash you new tune, disconnect and off you go. And if you don't like the change, do the same to reinstall your old tune. And if you change/upgrade parts in the future, just find a tune online (buy through Fuel MOTO, they are developing a substantial database for a wide range of parts and combinations, also stellar customer service), install said tune and you're done.

The nice thing is you have it narrowed down to two of the premier systems for this job, so IMHO it's win win either way. Best of luck, keep us posted. Cheers!

Start, Ride, Repeat...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. mr2dogz

mr2dogz Junior Member

My indian dealer wants me to go down the pcv route as they have a rolling road they want £500 which is just over $600 or I can pay just under £400 for the pvcx.

5. TheChad

TheChad IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the FuelMoto Route... Even if you go the PCV route. If you search this forum, you'll see Jamie from FuelMoto is VERY engaged and I've heard nothing but positive regarding their customer service.
    Not sure I fully understand what "rolling road" is... but seems like a no briner for PVCX? Cheaper and it's under YOUR control.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Drydock

Drydock Junior Member

I think that's what we call a Chassis Dyno. As you can also do a Dyno tune on the PVCX, I'd just get that. I also reccomend FuelMoto. With the right software the PVCX gives you access to a lot more parameters as well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. rds040800

rds040800 Junior Member

I went with the PVCX. I didnt want to mess with any wiring or having to deal with a dyno to get a PCV where it needed to be. Well worth the money even after a small hiccup after I flashed it. Tech support from Dynojet was quick to respond with a remedy to my situation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DarkHorse666

DarkHorse666 Junior Member

I don't have a strong opinion about the subject, but if you twisted my arm, I'd have to say:

PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX PVCX

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Drydock

Drydock Junior Member

Well heck 666, if you're not sure . . .

• Like Like x 1
  10. 2SITH

2SITH Junior Member

I ended up with the tuner from tier 1 tuners as they have the only tuner of its kind in the market. The owner is really knowledgeable and his partner helped start dynojet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bstewart63

bstewart63 Junior Member

I would think the PVCX is the best way to go. Fixing the intentional throttle plate roll back at 6K on the 60's is a pretty good advantage. Being able to read and clear DTC's is also a huge plus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. RaWarrior

RaWarrior Junior Member

The fact you don't have to install a PVCX is worth the slight price bump over a PCV alone. Plus you can reprogram the drive-by-wire and a host of other parameters that you cannot with the PCV.

You can read and clear DTC's through the speedometer as well. If the check engine light is on, pull the trigger until CK ENG is displayed, pull and hold the trigger and the code will display. Pull trigger to scroll through multiple codes if there are. Pull and hold when a code is displayed and it'll clear.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rds040800

rds040800 Junior Member

The fact it pulls DTC codes is what made for an easy remedy when I had an issue. Saved me a big headache of troubleshooting, so well worth it for the added bonus of being able to pull codes. My speedo would not show the code like it was supposed to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mr2dogz

mr2dogz Junior Member

Well I think my mind is made up pvcx is going to be my next purchase.thanks for all the help :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. CraigB1960

CraigB1960 IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

One often forgotten benefit of the PVCX is the retention of accurate MPG calculations.

• Agree Agree x 2