New Mexico Wisdom/Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CavemanHHH, Jan 10, 2017.

1. CavemanHHH

CavemanHHH Super Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

IMG_0044.JPG Ok brother Indian riders of New Mexico. I am looking at moving to the Sandia mountains outside of Albuquerque. Yes Caveman is thinking of leaving the lovely mountainous Colorado. The view above is 4-5 months a year, but the view below is the rest of the year.
    IMG_0591.JPG
    Advice on areas to live
    Areas not to live
    Problems we may face i.e. Water, internet availability, taxes, cost. Affordability of the area. I have an agent, but their main job is to sell a house. I am retired so no commute issues, but wife would like to have some civilization within 10-20 min. away. I am doing hours of research on line, but advice from those who know the area is priceless.

2. Masta Kink

Masta Kink Member

Sure is pretty.

3. Roadie

Roadie Platinum Member

I don't know about exactly living where there, but it is beautiful Country and great Riding.

My wife and I load up my Chieftain with a small trailer and ride 2up to that area every July or August for a couple of weeks.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

4. HuskyDavidson

HuskyDavidson Diamond Member

5. HINK

HINK Bronze Member

Hate to see you leave us, caveman...

• Like Like x 1
  6. aussiekeeper

aussiekeeper Bronze Member

I have been doing research for over a year on where to go. New Mexico was my first choice. However, upon further investigation, I found that the crime rate there is horrible and they are not doing anything about it, keeps rising every year. In addition, the public service retirement funds are in the red by almost a billion dollars. Where do you think they will get it? Just like here in California, they will raise taxes and fees to attempt to make up for it. Here, the state is in the rears by nearly a Trillion dollars.
    I am now looking at Tucson AZ. Research so far looks good, but like anywhere, be careful of where you live.
    Tucson is not as hot as Phoenix as it is higher in elevation.................Do your due diligence and read, read, read. There are forums to go to for any city to find information, take your time.................ask a lot of questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CavemanHHH

Caveman found the new cave in Placitas NM
    IMG_0062.JPG
    4000 acres BLM Open space behind the house. Better weather. The Indian gets its own private garage!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. CavemanHHH

Did the research stayed away from Albuquerque, but close enough to still use the VA. The wife has a 30 year federal retirement & I have a 28 year federal retirement. The area we picked still has mountain views, but at 5200 ft a lot better than 8968 ft.

9. HINK

HINK Bronze Member

That is stunning -- just gorgeous!! Congrats -- glad you found the perfect place to land. You've earned it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Masta Kink

Masta Kink Member

Sweet Jesus!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Salvelinus Fontinalis

Salvelinus Fontinalis Member

Congrats caveman. Beautiful place! I moved to Las Cruces this past July from Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan and have never been happier. Very few places can compete with NM for the year round riding opportunities imho. See you out there and welcome! :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. EskimoQuinn

EskimoQuinn Super Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Damn Ray! NICE! You gonna get a dirt bike, Polaris ATV, AND farm truck ?? . . . . . hell, you're gonna need a helicopter son! Oh, and . . . . BLM acreage, huh? Be sure it doesn't glow. :)

Next time I'm in NM, I'll give you a shout.

• Like Like x 2
  13. EskimoQuinn

EskimoQuinn Super Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And BTW - that dog of yours has pants on!! Too much!

14. Largeandy

Largeandy Junior Member

I live in New Mexico (Ruidoso) in the mountains 6 to 8 months out of the year, California in the deep of winter to escape the snow. NM has its problems but so does CA. Riding is good in both states for different reasons, NM has lots less traffic. NM does have a too soft on crime problem but so does CA the state has low vehicle and very low property taxes, the state income tax rate is ok, not great but ok......if you appreciate clean air and smaller crowds, NM is trully a unique experience. NM has a repub Gov but a majority Dem house and senate. NM is a rather poor state with a lower educated work force but opportunity abounds for entreprenuers to provide goods and services. Summers are not as hot as Arizona and winters are not as severe as Colorado. NM works great for many people but life is where you find it. As far as motorcycling goes, NM offers a lot of great riding with fabulous weather to ride in.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Largeandy

Largeandy Junior Member

PS, NM has some of the best mexican food around, has the worlds undisputed best
    Green Chile crop. The state is very big on the art scene, they also shoot lots and lots of movies there due to the unique and beautiful scenery. Not too many people who come to NM dislike it and most stay. You do have to accept a mentality of part of life just being slower but many people really like that. It becomes such a personal choice. Again, the state is a strong favorite with most motorcycle riders.

• Like Like x 2