Looking for basic cheap mods

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by CottonRotten, Jan 5, 2017.

1. CottonRotten

CottonRotten Junior Member

Hey yall, I have a 2016 scout stock so far. I am holding off on major upgrades until I have the bike over half paid off. So my question is what kind of, on the less expensive side, upgrades can I do. Also I've heard a little about stage one flashing? Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. I live in NE Ohio so it's too cold to ride perfect time for upgrades since bike is down for rest of winter. Unless I get a random warm day, which isn't unusual in Ohio.
    Thanks Ry,

2. rds040800

rds040800 Junior Member

Better bet is to spend the money on a Dynojet pvcx, as it will cover any mods you make. An Indian stage one flash is a one time thing amd will not help any when you decide to change the intake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TigerGA

TigerGA Member

Certainly don't pay for any Indian reflashes. For example, if you add a hi-flow air cleaner, all the reflash does is bring your bike back to EPA compliance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

Remove the side reflectors, liquid glass the steel, new Grips, clutch cable upgrade, foot controls for shorter or longer, handlebars, tires, and license plate move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dalethemale

dalethemale Junior Member

Ram a caliche bar down the center of the exhaust pipes until you get the desired sound.....Hey! don't laugh I've done this for a friends Vulcan stock pipes and he loved it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Alpal

Alpal Platinum Member

Depends what you want from your bike Buddy. Good looks or good ride. If a good ride is what you are after then most definitely look at Dark Scouts suspension upgrade. There is a US distributor now to make things a lot simpler. Jethro's Parts run by Double J. It will transform your ride. Of course, you may be in that minority group that feels the Scout suspension is just fine. If that is the case, just sit down one afternoon, study your bike and eventually you will begin to see what YOU would like to see altered.

Regards,

Alpal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mercury32

Mercury32 Junior Member

I would get the Barnett clutch cable for a good cheap mod that makes a difference. New tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

Not exactly cheap.

But a good future investment

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lancer28ac

Lancer28ac Junior Member

I just took delivery of my 2016 Scout this week and am also waiting for a nice winter day in northern Ohio to take her out. One of the 1st things I plan on are some kind of grip mod, new grips or leather wrap....both are relatively inexpensive. I already ordered the Zorros retro Indian horn, a little pricy, $222 shipped but I had to have it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hatt

Hatt Gold Member

IMAG1437.jpg
    Polished foot controls. 25 bucks for zip strip, sandpaper, and Mothers aluminum polish. dollars. And couple hrs time times saving of about $200 bucks for Indians Chrome option.
    IMAG1501.jpg
    Bolt covers.
    20 bucks to finish in my opinion the biggest eyesore on this bike. This stuck out for a Mile for me, couldn't let that slide..
    IMAG1721.jpg
    Fork gaiters 30ish bucks.
    Led projection headlight. From 60-800 bucks.
    th-5.jpg
    One Buck.

Grips! The Indian ones are super hard,
    Any are an improvement, from around 10-50 bucks..
    I love the Kung ru grips from biltwell bout 12 bucks..
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mark fowler

Mark fowler Junior Member

Hatt that deer came out of nowhere.

I recommend some aeromach floorboards. Really helps the comfort being able to move around some more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. kman0066

kman0066 Junior Member

Definitely a good free mod if you're looking for more noise. For a cleaner job, you can use a metal hole saw with an extension on a drill. Don't even have to remove the exhaust pipe. I drilled through just the first cap in the exhaust and it did a nice job of improving the exhaust note.

Handlebars are also a cheap mod if you want a different "feel" for the bike. Use some $10 7/8" to 1" handlebar adapters and you can use any 7/8" handlebars which can be had for as little as $20.

For appearance mods, you can replace the front fender with just a metal brace (fabricate yourself with sheet-metal for a few bucks) to give a different look. You can also cut the rear fender at various places to give a different look as well (cost of a saw blade, a file/sand-paper, and touch up paint for the edge). I haven't done either one, because I like the fenders for now.

The most important upgrade I could possibly recommend (if you want a better handling bike) though is the front forks. Heavier springs, Race-tech valves, and a good fork oil. If you can do the work yourself, it's all pretty affordable. Getting rid of the terrible dive on braking and the wallowing over bumps makes a world of difference in how the bike feels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Just get a Scout 60. Nothing you do the big Scout will help it outrun a stock 60 so just bite the bullet and move -up'. Thats what I am doing. Sold my 69 and getting ready to get a 60 and be invincible like the 60 owners are here on this forum.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CottonRotten

Thank yall for the advice. I already have forward pegs but that's it. What benefit will I get from the new clutch cable. I don't have a problem with shifting. Dark scout suspension is what I plan on doing and probably will be the most expensive upgrade I'll do before I have it paid off. I never understood why people put a bunch of money into a bike they really don't own yet. As far as bars go, I'm leaning towards the drag bars. I really like the floor boards too. Once again thanks everyone. I love this community!

15. CottonRotten

Is this guy serious?

• Winner Winner x 2