Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Looking at the Scout Sixty...

5K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  EssEll 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all -- first post here, from the Seattle area. I'm not even an Indian owner (yet?) but looking hard at the Scout Sixty, moving up from a naked Honda CTX700 that I've customized pretty well. So the Scout Sixty, at about 1000 CCs, seems about right -- still maneuverable and reasonable weight, but with power when you need it. Really happy with my Honda, but could use a little more power, and would love to have ABS (although I think that's maybe not available on the Sixty, right?). Plus the Indian styling speaks for itself -- just really good-looking bikes as you all well know. Definitely want saddlebags and likely a windscreen, but a solo seat is fine for me. I'm 57, 215 lbs, 6'-0", in decent shape, and have put 5K miles on my Honda in the last year after not riding a bike since college days and younger. Loving it, of course, and I'm sure I'll be riding as long as I'm physically able (so far so good). Anyway the biggest "con" I've heard about the Scout Sixty is its "rattle" --maybe not the tight fit and finish that Honda might be known for. The reduced mileage is also a con, with considerably lower MPG and range, but that's not a big issue for me. So any comments from you owners on a transition like this, as well as bonest pros and cons on the Scouts and Indian bikes in general (I realize I'll be hearing somewhat biased but informed opinions!) would be very welcome. And anyone familiar with Seattle-area dealers, your reviews of them are welcome too...

Looking forward to hearing opinions. Thanks muchly.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no first-hand experience with the Scout Sixty, but wasn't aware of any complaints about a "rattle" coming from their engines. I've heard of the so-called 'clacking' from some 111's, though neither of my Chiefs did this, nor have I personally heard anyone else's do it.

Unless it's solely a financial consideration, why not just go for the standard, 100hp, Scout?

#4 ·
I have a 2016 Red Scout 60 (no ABS). I decided the extra chrome and slightly more hp, plus a 6th gear didn't seem worth the extra cost. ABS is on the red 60s. As far as bags and screen check some after market products. Some nicer and cheaper. I don't know about rattling, as I always check bolts and things periodically. The only noise that I haven't got used to is the chain driven cam whine? purr? whirr?. I have had smaller bikes (Sportster, Suzuki Blvd, Hondas) and I like the scout best. As it came pretty much naked, it was fun to modify my bike my way, without paying for other's ideas (Baggers, two tone, etc). I believe my costs were less also than if I bought entirely Indian brand. As far as riding, it is not bad after I changed seats and handlebars. I get about 52 mpg. Kendra tires seem to be an issue with some riders, but I am sure it is how you ride. Mine are fine at 5k, but will get Michelin Commanders this fall.
Anyway congrats and enjoy!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#5 ·
Go test ride one. You'll probably buy it.

It's a different kind of power. Peak torque at 5800rpm. It is fun power. It's a really good balance of power and handling. Really, just a blast to ride. I haven't ridden a 69 scout, so I don't know what the butt dyno feels in comparison, but I hear it isn't much until beyond 6000rpm.

The front suspension is soft, and the rear is stiff. Cornering at a decent speed on uneven surfaces will get you some wobble. This is all correctable, but worth mentioning.

Go check one out, and good luck with your decision.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks, all -- I'm all ears for more too. Sure seems like people are for the most part loving both the Scout and the Scout Sixty.

Just curious -- it was a bit of an adventure adding aftermarket saddlebags to my Honda. How easy is it on the Scout or the Sixty? Is there also an additional mounting bracket needed?

#7 · (Edited)
I have a Vintage and a Scout. I bought my Vintage at the Indian dealer Lynnwood, and they seem to be good folks to deal with. I live in Oregon, so I don't go there for service and have no comment on that.

I bought my Scout at Pro Caliber in Vancouver (still no Indian dealers in Oregon), and can recommend their dealership and service department. They have treated me very well there.

As for the Scout, I can tell you that I enjoy riding it very much. The power is amazing, the ride is good for a smaller bike, and the handling is very quick. Some have complained about the Kenda tires, but I find them pretty good for my riding style. I probably don't ride as fast as some on here do, though. I bought a Freedom windshield on the recommendation of folks on this forum, but prefer the stock windshield. It has less updraft than the Freedom shield does. Overall, I like my Scout very much, and have no complaints whatsoever. I get 48 - 50 MPG, and the range comes out to about 140 miles per thank.

Reactions: EssEll
#9 ·
I've done about 12,000 miles on my Scout 60 so far. It is fast, nimble, and a lot of fun to ride - I often describe it as 'liquid power'. I think the mpg is excellent and, although the small tank means you do well to fill up every 100 miles or so, you'd probably want a short break every couple of hours or so anyway, not least because the saddle feels a little hard after an hour and a half. The suspension is fine for most UK roads; many riding on different road surfaces decide to upgrade it. There are tires that give a smoother ride and have better grip in the wet, so whether or not you change them will depend on your riding style, the quality of your roads, and the weather you usually ride in. Warranty issues tend to be around things such as the switch-gear failing in wet weather; there have been a few unusual warranty issues (I'm going through one at the moment), but they seem to be the exception rather than the norm, and you'll get that with any model of any make. I cannot think of another bike that offers such a well-rounded package.

It may be helpful to mention that I am 6' tall with a 32" inside leg, and weigh in at 180lb; I do not find the bike cramped at all, and I have happily done 300 miles a day when touring.

#13 ·
I used to own a 1200 Sportster and a Vrod and I found the '17 Scout Sixty to be the perfect balance in size between these two bikes. It fits perfectly for my 5'8" frame, no discomfort whatsoever. It has plenty of torque and has enough horsepower for when you need to pass on the highway. The engine feels very crisp and refined compared to my prior Harleys. It's just a joy to ride, no regrets. Surprisingly, wind blast isn't that bad despite lack of wind protection. I was weary about it because I was a human parachute on the VRod, but this bike it's plenty doable. My only complaint would be that the Scout is very bare bones when you purchase it stock and genuine Indian accessories are extremely pricey and the $9K MSRP can turn into $11K easily.

#16 ·
If staying in the Scout price point, I would highly suggest stretching it a bit to get the regular Scout, with ABS. Less compromises, and a little safer, and functional. As for bags and accessories......is getting better....,but theyre limited still, and if buying Indian factory bags and stuff, it's expensive, almost to the point you may find you can almost buy a Vintage or Springfield for what you may pay to fully deck out your Scout for touring. If you can wait, late Nov or December bring insane savings at some dealers specially on new bikes that have been a dealer or company demo. Like deep discounts.....all about timing. Buying my 2015 Vintage, just after Thanksgiving 2015 with the discounts, promotions (military, Black Friday, demo price reductions etc) let me walk out at $15,900 for a Vintage, and then got $2,000 accessories credit on top of that. If you are/we're mil, and it's still going on, that was a great promotion.

#19 · (Edited)
Great point; thank you -- I do indeed want to get ABS, if I'm stepping up. I as unclear on what models had ABS so this is good info and I definitely agree. Good tips too on waiting for some good discounts. Love that idea -- except for the waiting part!

The Springfield, too, is piquing my interest -- I'm well aware of the "you get used to the bigger size bike pretty quickly" syndrome, so I shouldn't be too wary of doing that. ABS and other extras there too, that you of course pay for, but you know -- if that's what it takes to get the right bike...

#21 ·
Scout is great bike, as is the Scout 60. You can get ABS on the Scout 60 in certain 2017 colors. I have a 60,(as does my wife); it is plenty peppy and powerful (fast), and that is even before upgraded exhaust and intake. If you like the more blacked-out look, you won't miss anything with the cheaper option compared to Scout. I am 5'10" and weigh about the same as you. The Scout is plenty large enough. Get the extended reach seat or pegs if you want to have a bit longer leg reach.

For those trying to talk you into a Chief, sure that's a great bike, but based on what you say you are looking for (what kind of riding you do), the Scout or Scout 60 is the way to go.

#22 ·
I got off my bike for 20 years and started again 2 years ago with the Scout. It has great power, good handling very nimble bike. I really felt comfortable on it. I wanted to do more long distance riding and felt like I blew around a lot on the highway. Short trips were fine, but long distance bothered me. Traded up to a Springfield and don't regret spending the extra money. But like Mark said, based on the type of riding you do a Scout will probably be fine. There are plenty of aftermarket stuff out there. I had Osprey Saddlebags and loved them and the were much cheaper than OEM I just got a call today from a guy I know asking me about the Scout 60 I told him the same. Good luck with your decision.

#25 ·
Thanks again, everyone, for your insights. The more I think, the more questions I have. I’m no mechanic, but I’m not afraid to try stuff and I can read directions, so since I’ve had my Honda, I’ve added a centerstand, saddlebags, windscreen and a few other accessories by myself, changed the oil myself, and I enjoy doing all that basic stuff that I’m capable of and which doesn’t require a bunch of new specialized tools – and not to mention saving some time and money, usually. So the possible transition to any different kind of bike has inevitable issues, of course.

One is that there does not seem to be a centerstand available for the Scout. And I have to believe that there’s some maintenance associated even with a belt drive, so a centerstand would be quite handy. (Silly me, I thought a centerstand could be used with most any light or mid-weight bike.) I’m used to cleaning and lubing my chain every 500-600 miles…

I hear the oil change is a pain in the butt, too – but that’s why I’m asking. Any thoughts on the ease of lack thereof of general routine maintenance on Indians in general, and the Scout specifically? I’m happy to take it to the dealer for the tougher stuff, but would love to be able to do the routine stuff myself.

By the way, I have the greatest wife in the world. Not only was she not opposed to me getting a new “step up” bike – “you only live once, baby!” – but she was even thinking that I’d keep my Honda. Which I’d do if I had more time to ride, but it’s hard enough finding time to ride just one….

I’m all ears, and thanks again.

#28 ·
By the way, I have the greatest wife in the world. Not only was she not opposed to me getting a new “step up” bike – “you only live once, baby!” – but she was even thinking that I’d keep my Honda. Which I’d do if I had more time to ride, but it’s hard enough finding time to ride just one….

I’m all ears, and thanks again.
Could this maybe be a hint that she wants to keep the Honda for herself and learn to ride?

#30 ·
Well heck, if there's no belt/chain maintenance involved (really???), I guess the center stand is a non-issue!

By the Scout (or whatever you choose) ride it for a while. Then you can better decide how to modify. Center stand probably not needed - no chain maintenance.
I'll probably get the OEM saddlebags and windscreen so aside from maybe a brakelight modulator, I don't think I'll need much else!

I traded in my CTX700 on a Scout 60 last year. Really, really good decision on my part.
Wow -- message sent; Id love to hear your thoughts, pros & cons, etc.

Could this maybe be a hint that she wants to keep the Honda for herself and learn to ride?
Hmmmm.... I don't think so -- she's busy with her horses -- but I'll confirm. The CTX would be a great bike for her.

Thanks all -- and I'm still listening!

#31 ·
I have 3 Indians. The two in the garage and the one that sleeps next to me. They all make noise!!!

My wife, 5' with her Harley boots on and petite. Got her the Scout and she has no issues handling it plus I always think getting bigger is better. Not for all but that's how I look at things

#32 ·
Well from the Indian models I've looked into, financially speaking, I'm probably leaning heavily toward the Scout Sixty or the Scout. I just don't think I need or want the power you get with the 111, and I'm really mostly a weekend rider with occasional day-long trips and one-nighters. The Springfield though is a good-looking bike, for sure. Considerably more $$ though!
I'm 6'2" 200lbs.
I find my Scout plenty comfortable.
Fit and finish on every one I've seen besides mine is top tier. (I have the 15th one made)
It's tight.. rattle free.
Handles amazing for what it is.
It's the first American bike I've wanted to own, even after having ridden many US bikes.
The power is nothing short of amazing.. it's flexibility is very quite notable.
Useful power in spades..
I'd say it's one of the best engines I've burned gas with.
Up to '16 the suspension was garbage IMHO.
The tires just as bad.
There is an open bulletin for starter issues.
Some have experienced bad dealer ship service.
By and large for the reasons you layout, the scout will be great bike for you.
Though, I'd advise budgeting for tires and if pre 17 suspension at the get go.

#33 · (Edited)
I'm 6'2" 200lbs.
I find my Scout plenty comfortable.
Fit and finish on every one I've seen besides mine is top tier. (I have the 15th one made)
It's tight.. rattle free.
Handles amazing for what it is.
It's the first American bike I've wanted to own, even after having ridden many US bikes.
The power is nothing short of amazing.. it's flexibility is very quite notable.
Useful power in spades..
I'd say it's one of the best engines I've burned gas with.
Up to '16 the suspension was garbage IMHO.
The tires just as bad.
There is an open bulletin for starter issues.
Some have experienced bad dealer ship service.
By and large for the reasons you layout, the scout will be great bike for you.
Though, I'd advise budgeting for tires and if pre 17 suspension at the get go.
Great info, Hatt; thanks very much. I'd heard that the Scouts can rattle a bit at higher RPMs -- maybe that's a pre-2017 issue? And I'm still wondering, folks, about how easy the routine maintenance is -- oil changes and belt cleaning/lubing (if that even exists! -- never had a belt-drive before)... But yeah the Scout is looking more and more attractive. So many people just rave about 'em.

#38 ·
There has been a ton of great info on here that you probably don't want me to repeat to much, but I love my 60. I am 6 foot and about 210 lbs. Have never been in a situation where I needed more power then it had and I have been going up and down mountains for the past 5000 plus miles. I have a Freedom shield that is easy to take off and normally only on for long rides (weekend plus) to help with fatigue (I like riding more without though).

I have not had a "rattle" and everything seems to be very solid for mine (2016). I do agree though, I will be changing tires next - probably after summer. I changed pipes - went with RPW with a fuel pack and LOVE THEM.

I will say that my 60 makes me a better man. LOL (I think that may be because of its psychological and emotional help).

Cant wait to hear what you decide.

#44 ·
Well I started this thread saying I was looking at the Scout or the Sixty, coming from a Honda CTX700. Not really much a a leap between the two, cool factor aside, and I've been very happy with the Honda. That was before I visited Auburn (WA) Indian and looked and talked to Spike (as many on this forum recommended) and test rode a Chief Classic which like floating on warm butter. Smooooooth and sweet. Well the short version of the story is that I pick up my new, 2016 Chief Classic tomorrow morning. Can't wait. White and black and lots of chrome. My wife loves it. Seattle weather forecast this weekend is sunny and close to 90 degrees.

It's going to be a fun weekend.

(And I'll be starting a different thread soon.)

#45 ·
Well I started this thread saying I was looking at the Scout or the Sixty, coming from a Honda CTX700. Not really much a a leap between the two, cool factor aside, and I've been very happy with the Honda. That was before I visited Auburn (WA) Indian and looked and talked to Spike (as many on this forum recommended) and test rode a Chief Classic which like floating on warm butter. Smooooooth and sweet. Well the short version of the story is that I pick up my new, 2016 Chief Classic tomorrow morning. Can't wait. White and black and lots of chrome. My wife loves it. Seattle weather forecast this weekend is sunny and close to 90 degrees.

It's going to be a fun weekend.

(And I'll be starting a different thread soon.)
Told ya so...Lol.

#50 ·
Congratulations on your new bike EssEll! New toys are THE best. Did you get a chance to test out a Scout while you were there?
Thank you! I'm pretty stoked. No, I didn't ride a Scout. Sat on a few and realized that that small of an overall jump up from my Hinda Jist wasn't worth the expense. Then I saw the Chief in the color I've always liked best, right there first in line in the showroom, and that's pretty much all she wrote. It was accessorized pretty much perfectly and then when I test rode their demo... Wow. And as I said, Spike was just a down-to- earth knowledgeable straight-shooter pleasant guy to work with and I feel even better that I've read so many good things about that dealership. Really a good feeling to think you're getting such a quality bike and have a good dealer to work with when you need to.

Picking it up in exactly twelve hours...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.