Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Just thinkin...

13K views 147 replies 44 participants last post by  2263 
#1 ·
I have a buddy who rides HD and has done so for many years..Since I have known him he has had three of these bikes and after a couple of years he starts having troubles-fuel problems, no spark a few times and various other " I cant ride because I am afraid it will leave me stranded" excuses...When his last bike gave him troubles it cost him hundreds of dollars and many sleepless nights. I asked him " Why not go ride a Indian and maybe you will like it"...He promptly bought an 08 HD full dresser and I wonder how long before it starts again-then it dawned on me if he changed brands him and his ol lady will have to buy new wardrobes and jackets and get tattoo removals and it is probably cheaper to just stay with that brand...Just my thoughts...Not meant to piss anyone off...

#3 ·
I've got HOG patches on my jacket, the wife has a brand new HD mesh jacket, HD rain gear, and I didn't let it stop me from getting a RM. Glad I did. What a sweet ride.

My brother got a new Ultra, and it's had two recalls already.

#4 ·
Sounds like you're comparing new Indians to used, more than 8 year old Harleys. My two previous Harleys were 2005 Road King that I put 75,000 miles on and a 2010 Electra Glide Classic that I put 52,000 miles on. They both ran fine. If my Vintage matches that I'll be happy.

#142 ·
Yup,I for one have owned :1986 FXRS,1990 FXRC,1994 FLRKing and have just traded my 2004 FXDI with 38000 miles on it for my 2015 Chief Classic/ a.k.a. "Black Betty". All my Harleys were trouble -free and reliable ,frequently ridden hard and long and missed fondly in my memories.I didn't buy this Indian because of Harley's or any other brands faults.Indian is just top of the heap in this genre'.Indian Rulz! Doc.

#6 ·
Couple things... The apparel argument is just plain odd to me. I've got a bunch of HD gear. It's mostly stuff the better half got me. But I always wore Triumph and other assorted Moto gear. I never stopped to think about what "other HD" guys thought about it. Even when I rode HD all those years. I will continue to wear all sorts of gear. I can't remember a time anyone else actually cared.. When I'm wearing a Ducati or Triumph shirt, most Harley or motorcycle guys typically strike up a conversation about bikes... Always positive, now that I think of it.

Weird, but now I wonder how many guys, even here on this site, were "those guys"? Ya know, guys that were really into the sport/hobby to act out some sorta alter persona.. Just a question.

Reactions: TN1WR and gina
#10 ·
My good Buddy bought a brand new 2015 HD Ultra last year, been in for 3 recalls, the right bag fell off while going down the highway at 75, which was a recall item, failed to start a couple of times, HD wouldn't warranty the battery for him so he bought his own.

He told me that if he didn't have so much money tied up in his Ultra, he would sell it outright and buy a Roadmaster.

>------> >------> >------>

Live Free and Die Well

#15 · (Edited)
My good Buddy bought a brand new 2015 HD Ultra last year, been in for 3 recalls, the right bag fell off while going down the highway at 75, which was a recall item, failed to start a couple of times, HD wouldn't warranty the battery for him so he bought his own.

He told me that if he didn't have so much money tied up in his Ultra, he would sell it outright and buy a Roadmaster.

>------> >------> >------>

Live Free and Die Well
Ha! I drop over $26,000.00 in that old 2008 Ultra I had. Once I saw the light to the way the Mothership was treating me and others. I knew it was time to make a stand.

If your friend is worried about the price of a battery not being covered under warranty,…. Tell you what, stop by once a week to say Hello, and ask if he'd like to go riding?
If he says, he can't for his bikes broke again. Just say something like….. Sorry to hear that, Mine has not let me down and wallet busted broke. But, at lest you can polish the fenders. Sorry I had to throw that in there from Billy Joel song.

Attachments

#19 ·
I gave my HD branded stuff away for free to a couple of friends who still own Harleys. I felt a huge sense of relief, like a dark malignant cloud had lifted from me. I could laugh again, my footsteps were lighter, the world seemed like a far better place. Even noticed a change of attitude from my dog - it no longer tries to pee on my leg when I'm not looking.

I have even stopped going to counselling....

#21 ·
Pretty much agree with what has already been said. My friends all ride Harleys, most times I'm a loner, sometimes I hook up with them, when we are all together I watch them & how they talk & stuff. No doubt about it, none of them would even entertain the idea of getting on an Indian for a test ride, let alone owning one. You know a couple of them guys used to race hare scrambles & moto-cross, I know they didn't run harleys when they raced, now tho, it's as tho harley is the only motorcycle made. PFFFFT!! I'm glad they have that attitude, just cannot recognize a good thing when it comes along, stuck in the same ol rut....... spend, spend, spend!

#28 ·
You did your best but don't feel bad I lost my best friend because I bought my wife a Chieftain instead of a Harley. I don't know why he thought I would by a Harley because I've had my Chieftain for over a yr and think i rd the best bike I have ever road. I'm a X Harley guy and kicked the Harley cool- aid habit. He had a 2012 CVO RG and bragged on it all the time he even said he didn't get wet when it rained " I am totally serious", we, my wife and I joke about the Harley force field all the time . It did get ugly and we haven't spoke since and ruined our trip to Sturgis this yr " we ended up not going" . I'll have to post the whole story on this forum , it is bazaar how he acted.
So my advice is let him drink the cool- aid and live in his own little Harley world and just ride your Indian while he sits and looks at his broke down HD.
Oh I will add I just found out he ran out and bought a new hd, couldn't let my wife have a newer and nicer bike than him and I'm sure it was a CVO lol.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#29 ·
You did your best but don't feel bad I lost my best friend because I bought my wife a Chieftain instead of a Harley. I don't know why he thought I would by a Harley because I've had my Chieftain for over a yr and think i rd the best bike I have ever road. I'm a X Harley guy and kicked the Harley cool- aid habit. He had a 2012 CVO RG and bragged on it all the time he even said he didn't get wet when it rained " I am totally serious", we, my wife and I joke about the Harley force field all the time . It did get ugly and we haven't spoke since and ruined our trip to Sturgis this yr " we ended up not going" . I'll have to post the whole story on this forum , it is bazaar how he acted.
So my advice is let him drink the cool- aid and live in his own little Harley world and just ride your Indian while he sits and looks at his broke down HD.
Oh I will add I just found out he ran out and bought a new hd, couldn't let my wife have a newer and nicer bike than him and I'm sure it was a CVO lol.

My best friend from high school (10th grade).

We both owned 1956 Chevys... we were 21 years old.

We both rode dirt bikes.. I had a Suzuki, he had yamahas, Bultoco's and CZ's. He raced amateur class moto cross. I didn't.

He also gave me the money for a down payment on my first house..

He died at 23 years old. In his sleep..

Like most guys we liked cars and motorcycles..

It would had never mattered, or would either of us thought that a brand of motorcycle defined who we were to each other.

There was no false pride about objects.. We enjoyed doing things together..

He was a quality person.

I like HD... They've had their problems..

Indian will and has also Had their problems...

If you define who your friends are, by the brand of bike they ride.... Then why would you call them friends in the first place?

#32 ·

We both rode dirt bikes.. I had a Suzuki, he had yamahas, Bultoco's and CZ's. He raced amateur class moto cross. I didn't.

It would had never mattered, or would either of us thought that a brand of motorcycle defined who we were to each other.

He was a quality person.

If you define who your friends are, by the brand of bike they ride.... Then why would you call them friends in the first place?
Excellent post, I agree 100%.

#34 ·

He was a quality person.

I totally agree I didn't care what he road as long as we road together. I still can't get my head around it , we were friends for 20 yrs & he's the one that got me back into riding back in 03.
I really wonder if he has some mental issues or something . But I have seen him act like this with others before .
All this started over me sending him a text that we had just put a deposit on my wife's Chieftain. I honestly thought he would be happy for her instead he went of telling me I was stupid and went on to trash my bike and dealer. This is the same guy that had to sue Harley twice because they wouldn't fix his bikes " both CVO s" and when I reminded him of that he really went off. The last thing I heard from him was a pic of a Glock " I kid you not". Now you know why we backed out of Sturgis , it was his rental and my wife and myself decided better to go somewhere else. I can prove everything I've said I still have the text " just in case we end up in court or if he dose,something stupid ". Oh and he just got a consealed carry permit the day this started [emoji15] .

#36 · (Edited)
I totally agree I didn't care what he road as long as we road together. I still can't get my head around it , we were friends for 20 yrs & he's the one that got me back into riding back in 03.
I really wonder if he has some mental issues or something . But I have seen him act like this with others before .
All this started over me sending him a text that we had just put a deposit on my wife's Chieftain. I honestly thought he would be happy for her instead he went of telling me I was stupid and went on to trash my bike and dealer. This is the same guy that had to sue Harley twice because they wouldn't fix his bikes " both CVO s" and when I reminded him of that he really went off. The last thing I heard from him was a pic of a Glock " I kid you not". Now you know why we backed out of Sturgis , it was his rental and my wife and myself decided better to go somewhere else. I can prove everything I've said I still have the text " just in case we end up in court or if he dose,something stupid ". Oh and he just got a consealed carry permit the day this started [emoji15] .

You should had known better then to buy a not aHarley...

I'm not blaming you.. But If you'd seen him act up with others, over brands of motorcycle..

I would have expected it... But more so in a playful way...

It's scary when people identities are heavily connected or invested into some exclusive tribal mentality..

It's like your rooting for a different pro football team then he is now..

If he thought HD screwed him on his bike... He should had sued.. They deserve it...

Like any corporation that does not deliver value for the money...
Especially something as personal, and a company that poses itself as a high quality product that your paying a premium price for.

From that respect I welcome Indian to raise the bar.... But I have my doubts.

The gun thing.. He sounds like a newbee.. With newfound power...

Pretty scary... If you think he's off his rocker....

Forehead Military officer

#37 ·
Me and my brother-in-law went to a Harley dealer one Sunday,big party.He rides an Indian Classic and I had a look -a -like Harley. We went to leave and this older guy stood and just looked at him,like what the hell are you doing here. I was ready to walk up to him and ask if he had a problem,but decided was not worth it. There was every type of bike there,but Indian just seem to piss him off.I have an Indian now ,but have nothing bad about H.D. I think they have nice bikes,but some attitudes toward non Harley riders is just B.S.
Saw a special on Hell's Angels and they said you had to own an American bike,a Harley or an Indian. So they do not care.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.