Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

HELP! New to riding!

2K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  toolfool 
#1 ·
I always wanted to ride, but career and kids never afforded the opportunity to learn. I am enrolled in the MSC next week. Is it really a bad idea to by a touring bagger for my first bike. I am 5'10 240lbs. All I ever wanted was a bike that I could travel cross country with. I'm not interested in "go fast" bikes, I know all bikes are fast. I just want to ride comfortably, look good and of course, "BE SAFE"! Some tell me start small and work up and some say get what I want and learn the bike through practice and I will be fine. Please help!

#4 ·
I started out in 3rd grade with a Honda 50 so I will leave it to others to suggest where to start (big bike or small bike). I can tell you that after many small on/off road bikes, my first 600+ pound motorcycle was a little intimidating at first.

Your motorcycle course will get you started in the right direction. I would suggest getting a copy of any number of good riding skills books. I have a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. I re-read it every Spring and seem to learn something new each time. I also practice skills each spring such as rapid stops and low speed turns. Point being...never stop learning.

Whatever you do, take your time and learn correctly. Don't let others push you to a speed that you are uncomfortable with.

#6 ·
The class should provide the bikes. At least the beginner class here does because they are prepared for drops. Once you learn the basics, it is up to you to figure out what you can handle. There are two different schools of thought on this. One is start small and work up and the other is to go with what you will end up with. But you already know this, so only you know your comfort level. Me, I would take the class and get the bike you want. I remember when a 750 was "the big bike" and people started with a smaller bike. I took about a 10 year break from riding and went right to the 750, which I thought was big. Rode it for 17 years. Now I have the Springfield. It was a learning curve, but easy. So, after the class and your confidence level is where you like it, test ride several bikes. Good luck.

#7 ·
I'll echo what was already said. The course is the way to go. My first bike was a 250 for a few months, then 500, 750, and two 800s until i got the scout two years ago. That was over 20 years of riding. Not saying you should do that . But get a small-ish bike around a 500 that you won't cry too much over WHEN you drop it. After you're confident, then get your dream bike. And then take the experienced riders course on your new bike. The instructors can help you fine tune your skills for the new bike. The time frame for upgrades is all up to you.

There are some people that either can't get it, or realize after a short time, it's not fit them after all (anxiety, lack of skill, time etc). Better to get a small used bike you learn on without an expensive lesson.

#8 ·
Friend bought a Chief having never ridden. She took the MSC and I would ride her bike to the local school for her so she could practice in the parking lot. She's on the road now and handling it pretty well, however she does ride more slowly than most. Yeah, she dropped it a few times but the highway bars prevented any damage. Whatever you decide, keep your head and eyes UP .

#9 ·
[QUOTE="Some guy named Steve] "I remember when a 750 was "the big bike" and people started with a smaller bike."

I started on one of those big 750 bikes in the mid 80s. I was comfortable (but cautious) in no time and out on the Freeways in LA.
You will probably use little 250s for your rider course and not go far (parking lot) or fast.
I'd say go with what you want.
#1 you will not have the hassle of selling bikes you didn't want in the first place,
#2 with the quick release of tour packs & saddle bags you can strip it down to start with and add as comfort and experience level improves
Take you time, learn, have fun, stay safe.

#10 ·
Take MSC get your license then go to your local Dealer sit on, play with , check out the balance, then find out when a Demo Day is scheduled and ride um all you'll know which one fits, the biggest problem then will be which one you can afford lol ........

#11 ·
I would not buy a big touring bagger as a first bike.
You are a bigger dude so you need a substantial size motorcycle but you can still get a used heavyweight class bike for decent money.
Take the course first.
If you wanted to stay Vtwins I see older Dyna framed bikes for 5-6k at dealer.
Investment wise you won't lose much selling or trading.
I didn't say Scout don't see a lot of used one yet.
As mentioned course skills vs riding in traffic with idiots in cars will be an eye opener.

#12 ·
As an Ex MSF instructor and after you have gone through the course. Go take a Demo ride on what you think you want. The skill taught will give you confidence for your choice but as a 50yr rider the skills get honed over time and like was posted above I dont believe I would start out on a garbage barge, just to much weight to try and sling around if your not used to riding. Get a bike large enough to do some small or short distance riding that you think you want to do and move up. Because your not used to the physical aspects of touring I would anticipate your will need to work up to long distance and even some semi long trips. There are a lot of Physical things involved, not saying your out of shape, but on a bike you're stuck in pretty much one posture for extended lengths or time. Temps and weather will affect you differently too. 70 degrees and still is comfortable but it can be flat cold when your out on the sled. It better to start smallish and work up, plus you havent spent 25Gs to see if it's something you really want to pursue. I do hope the bug grabs you and wont let you go, but I also hope you can survive the first few years.

#13 ·
First, on the basic level, the same techniques work on every bike. That said, WHEN, not if, you make a mistake, a smaller/lighter bike hurts less. Your natural reaction is to try and save it when it starts to go over. Trying to keep a 400 lbs. bike from going over is doable. Trying to keep an 800+ lbs. bike from going over is next to impossible. However, the bigger you physically are, the bigger your bike needs to be to be comfortable. A friend of mine is around 6'5" 260 lbs. He took the MSF course on a 250 by sitting on the rear seat. Not very comfortable and made the bike hard to control. Had he purchased a 250 as his first bike I doubt it he would've enjoyed riding and may have even eventually quite.

Personally, I was 5'10" 210 when I started riding. I started on a used Vulcan 750. I then traded it in about 5 months later on a V Star 1300 mostly because of two up riding. I kept that 2 years before buying a Victory Cross Roads and then traded that in a little more than 3 years latter on my Chieftain.

Alternately, I've seen people buy a Chieftain/Victory Cross bike as their first motorcycle and do well.

My recommendation is to buy a used bike that fits you but isn't huge. Used so that you won't mind (as much) if/when you drop/damage it. Also you'll lose less money when you're ready to move up (use Harley 883's are plentiful so you can't sell one for very much).

Reactions: MEDIC MIKE
#14 ·
The vintage and the dark horse IMO, would fit you well. Add highway bar's front and rear, will make it easy-er to pickup, . Once you get some miles under your belt you can add bags and a wind screen , then start taking longer trips and have a blast. There are some great used vintage Indian bikes at the dealers, take them for a test run and keep us posted on how thing shape up.

#15 ·
Buy the bike you want. Learn how to ride it correctly and safely. You have already started with the MSF class. Take the advance class once you get comfortable with your new bike.

With a touring bike like the RM, you can always take the trunk, hard bags, and lowers off until you get use to handling it. Heck, I'm 5'6" and find the RM to be one of the best handling bikes I've ever rode....and I've rode and owned a bunch over the last 40 years of riding. It is an amazing and forgiving bike.

Practice every chance you get. Find an empty parking lot and practice your slow and tight turns, panic braking, etc. Use common sense. Don't ride it places you are uncomfortable with..i.e. downtown rush hour traffic, etc. until you are very proficient. Goes without saying, don't drink and drive and don't go on a group ride that does (poker runs come to mind). I for one will not ride in groups anymore. Much prefer just myself or another one that I trust.

#16 ·
Welcome from California! Agree with most comments especially on safety course and would recommend to start with a smaller bike then upgrade after a while. As easy as the chiefs are in handling, it's still a big and heavy bike. Rode my buddy's scout - much easier to handle and a blast to ride. Good luck and be safe.

#17 ·
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Rim

I rode when I was younger, I'm now 46 and just got back into riding after a 20 year break. I bought a scout and absolutely love it. It will go fast if you want but like you I like the idea of just riding nothing to prove just enjoy. The bike is lite and easy to manage. If you want to later you can add a extra seat, saddle bags extra. I find the ride comfortable and I get a lot of questions about my bike. I mean how could you not look good on that! If for some reason you find you don't like riding the re sale of the scouts is good. So from one new rider to another I enjoy my Scout and am very glad I purchased her.

#18 ·

I started out with a used Yamaha 650 Custom as a novice rider. I had the bike about 5 years but really outgrew it after about 18 months, absolutely love the upgrade to the Scout last August, should have done it sooner. If you are not sure, pick up a craigslist bike for a couple of thousand then flip it after a year, but if you really want to Jump in a recommend the Scout... just speaking as a still a fairly new low mile rider.

#19 ·
Julie took the MSF course on a 250cc bike and then stepped right onto a Victory CCT that outweighs my RM by 50lbs.

You'll be fine. One of our master instructor buds told her, "Most people start small and work up, never being happy with what they have until they get " the big one" that they really want. Why waste all that time and money?"

She's living proof that he was right.

#20 ·
On the side of starting big is Ride Like a Pro's Stephanie

From personal experience, I still recommend a "comfortable" bike for your size, smaller bike for smaller people, bigger bike for bigger people. But ride what you want. That's why America is America :cool:

Reactions: B59
#21 ·
You more than likely took drivers ed. Just a guess. By now you know how much it did not teach you. I hope. While I have never taken a motorcycle course but, by all means support them. I doubt you'll graduate from one ready to roll.

Choosing the correct size bike and people to ride with who are seasoned, communicative, and willing to help continue the effort to hone your skills is as important as anything you'll learn in school. imo.... just my 2c _ keep the change

Good luck, be safe. And above all else. Have fun!

#22 · (Edited)
Here are my 2 cents. I bought my first street bike 8 months ago. 2016 Chieftain. I have never previously ridden a street bike. The Chieftain is a big heavy bike. I bought it two weeks after taking the class. I am only 5.6. and 160 lbs. If you want a bigger bike then buy one. Take your time go slow. Motorcycles are too expensive and do not really hold their value, So collecting them as you get better isn't practical either. First time I rode my bike at the dealership I will admit I was a little intimidated, but I didn't do anything stupid and I rode it every day for about a week. I now have bought my second Chieftain 2017, of course, I now have almost 3500 miles behind me. I would recommend watching where you park your bike, be thinking about how you're going to get it out of where you park because I am short I learned that the hard way. I have yet to dropped my bike. Also, treat all vehicles like they are out to get you. Always be looking for an escape route while riding in a lane, always be thinking ahead. I actually have kept count of all the vehicles that have cut me off. My total so far is 23. Traffic is a lot different than a closed riding course. I refused to ride with a passenger until around the 1000 mile mark. If riding with friends ride in the back and watch how more experienced rider buddies handle things. Ask more experienced riders for advice. I feel it is hard for anyone to tell anybody what they should or should not do, I have never met you I don't know if you are a go getter type of person or a snowflake kinda person (NO OFFENSE MEANT). So get what you want but be safe and understand there is a learning curve.

Attachments

#23 ·
Welcome from UK. Personally, I'd start with whatever is the lightest bike that is big enough, fast enough, and feels like a 'real' bike to me; only you know whether that's a Japanese cruiser, a Harley Sportster, or a Springfield. But, there's no one right answer, so don't overthink the decision - life is too short, in this world at least.

So, get the bike you really want, and enjoy whatever the pros and cons of it turn out to be; otherwise you'll always be wondering, "What if...". For the first six months, make getting home safely your priority, so you can ride another day. Don't beat yourself up whenever you scratch or drop it and need help picking it up. Each day and each ride is a gift; enjoy!

#24 ·
I would start big, but maybe not with a new $22k bike. Craigslist is full of large, mostly metric, good bikes that can be had for around $3k. Learn on something like that. If it drops it won't feel as bad for you. Ride it till your comfortable with the size and confident with your ability. You'll barely lose any money when you sell. Probably less than replacing Chieftain parts. Plus the transition to another big bike will be much easier.

Reactions: Graham UK
#26 ·
I went from a 125 to a 250 to a 400 to a 750 to a Scout; then moved up to a 1700 and lastly a 1832 cc Goldwing - Love my Scout because it is light and moves easily. Its a good Idea to progress slowly and build your ride skills. You will tump over a time or two and it is easier to get back up when it is a smaller bike. Suggest you watch some You Tube videos on lifting bikes when they fall over it will come in very handy.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.