Helmets

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Old Timer, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

This is for all you Guys and Gals that think wearing a Beanie Helmet.....or no helmet at all....is the cool looking thing to do. This happened passing an 18 Wheeler and a chunk of tire flew off..........

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. reinie

reinie Silver Member

That would've hurt no doubt.

3. 68RR

68RR Junior Member

Holy crap! Precisely why I wear a full face Arai helmet every time. Too many things that can happen that is out of my control.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Aargow

Aargow Senior Member

I'm glad that the helmet did it's job. Looks like you wrist is bandaged. How banged up did you get?

5. Ironbutt70

Ironbutt70 Member

Ouch! Can't even imagine what that would have done to your face. Any whiplash effects?

6. Dog gone

Dog gone Gold Member

Not going to sacrifice comfort lack of hearing horrible vision problems sweat and all the other discomforts fullface has to offer, and it's all free (included) in the ownership of a fullface! I'll stick to my half helmets beanie lidz against my freedom. I have to wear something in NewYork as it's the Law. I'm glad the rider survived and the Helmet (faceshield) did its job. My first question is to the old timer was that you was that your helmet or is that a story of somebody else's situation. There is no claim to the statement and it's a Harley Helmet. My helmet and windshield would be just as scary and suffer much the same damage. Shit happens, the odds are so little like being struck by lightninig or other road debris. But I have a way better chance of seeing something happen with my half helmet. "Helmet laws still suck" there are groups out there fighting for many Motorcycle rights. Helmet laws is only one of the rights. Wear what you want/like! I've over a million miles by motorcycles and have never worn a full face and unfortunately have had 11 accidents. 2 of them right offs. And 4 with no helmet at all. The tri state has no helmet laws and I lived there 9 years. Ky Ohio and indianna. Anyway be safe out there, ride and wear what you want. Life is too short to argue about Helmet laws. Old timer is that your helmet, was that your own experience?? Or you just passing that pic around? That's what I think! I was riding by a semi one time and he had a blow out and I heard bang (real loud) I actually thought somebody shot at me, I had to pull over and check. Dang!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ironbutt70

Ironbutt70 Member

Similar thing happened to me but it wasn't a blowout. One of the recaps on an 18 wheeler's trailer started coming apart right next to me. Scared the you know what out of me. Had to pull over to stop shaking. One of those wife and kids flashback moments and what could have happened if I had only been 10 feet farther back instead of right next to the tire.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dog gone

Dog gone Gold Member

I hear that, you're not gonna pull apart my full face helmets suck part? What do you wear?

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Junior Member

My brother rarely wore a helmet. Rode for 35 years without an accident. Was killed last Fathers Days from massive head injuries. He left behind a wife and kid. You don't have to wear a helmet, but you do need to think of the ones who will be left behind if you don't. My brother was gone by the time I got to him. If he had a helmet on he would be here today.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Ironbutt70

Ironbutt70 Member

Depends on where I'm riding. If it's scenic backroads it's a 1/2 with a pull down full face shield. I also have a full fairing which gives some added protection. If I'm going to be on the interstate on any superhighway then it's my full helmet with the 1/2 in tow for the off interstate stuff

11. Ironbutt70

Ironbutt70 Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've heard your story too many times in 55 years of riding. When I see the knuckleheads blasting down I-95 at 80 mph with no helmet it just leaves me shaking my head.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. ShiffJ

ShiffJ Senior Member

I wear a full face but could care less what other people wear. Their head, their life, their choice.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SaddleTramp

SaddleTramp Member

Usually you can hear the slapping of the tire tread against the pavement before it blows.

Usually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Member

In 2014 my wife and I had taken the helmets off because of hot weather. It was just a short time after that a Jeep re-ended us. The doctors said if she's involved in another incident where she hits her head she would be in DEEP trouble. She hasn't ridden a bike since then......... I'm paranoid....... I miss her riding with me......my "evening" rides and cross country rides have changed drastically but I will not be responsible for losing my wife of almost 41 years..

My advice: WEAR SOME SORT OF HELMET

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ironbutt70

Ironbutt70 Member

No warning on this one. Just chunks of tread that start flying off as I come abreast on the tire. The one quick look I took in the rear view mirror saw cages dodging the flying rubber. Fortunately there was space for them to get out of the way as this was many years ago before the interstate traffic was stupid like it is now. I didn't hear of any accidents caused by the debris.