Had to put 87 octane in last night...

Discussion in 'Indian Scout Sixty' started by steelo, May 16, 2017.

1. steelo

steelo Junior Member

I decided to go for a ride last night and ended up in the boonies. My gas light turned out about 30 miles in but there were absolutely no gas stations around! After riding about more 15 miles, I started to panic until finally I found a mom and pop gas station. Unfortunately, they only carried 87 octane…I had to make the decision whether to protect my pride or call my wife to drive out 40 miles to deliver premium gas. Needless to say, I decided to put in 1 gallon of the cheap stuff.

Bike seemed to run okay, no check engine light or pinging (that I could notice) I was trying to be exceptionally light on the throttle to avoid any pre-detonations in the engine and completely filled the tank back up with 93 octane the moment I reached civilization again.

Did I risk damaging my engine by doing this? Am I okay now that I filled it up with 93 and have maybe ½ a gallon of the cheap stuff left in the tank?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. wheelman1857

wheelman1857 Junior Member

Nah, you'll be fine. Had a brain far the other week, and put 4 aND a half gal of reg in my chieftain. Just took it easy, till I ran a gal and a half out and refilled it with 93 and was fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelo

steelo Junior Member

Good deal.

Right before I started it, I was expecting it to backfire and run like I just filled it up with liquor…LOL. I was intently watching for my check engine light to turn on at any moment.

4. WhiteBuffalo

WhiteBuffalo Member

nah, you're good. It's not so drastically taxing on the motor that you're likely to do any damage at all. You'd have to run regular in it for years to see any problems.

Also, it's a liquid and octanes aren't like vinegar and water - they will mix. So, you did the right thing. Once you put 93 in, you upped the octane. Shoot, given how little you had left in the tank, 93 probably brought it right up past the recommended 91.

• Like Like x 1
  5. barnbiketom

barnbiketom Junior Member

Not sure if our bikes have a knock sensor. If so they should compensate for any pinging by slightly retarding the timing.
    But a drink of 87 shouldn't hurt a thing anyway if not pingin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelo

steelo Junior Member

Probably what helped was that I maybe had ¼ of a gallon of 93 left in the tank when I added the 87. It might have upped the octane just enough not to cause pinging.

When I filled the bike back up with 93, I put in about 3.1 gallons so I was just about running on fumes when I made it back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rickkcir

rickkcir God Bless Texas

I had something similar this past weekend. Not in my scout, but a TS111 bike. But, I used No Ethanol 87 Octane. I'd swear the bike runs BETTER and had more performance. I normally dump 92/93 Octane fuel , w/ 'up to' 10% ethanol. I went from worried to .. wtf?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. barnbiketom

barnbiketom Junior Member

I've been using 91 Ethanol Free and the 3rd tank with less than 500 miles gave me 49.7 mpg. I plan on doing a test with corncrap after a few more tanks of the good stuff

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. steelo

steelo Junior Member

I can’t seem to find 91 octane anywhere in Lexington, KY. It’s either 87, 89 or 93 at the gas stations and they recommend 91 minimum….

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  10. Chilly Bear

Chilly Bear Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelo

steelo Junior Member

Good to know that it IS okay to use for an emergency!

• Like Like x 1
  12. geewago

geewago Member

Indian may be different than Honda, I don't know. But my most frequent riding buddy rides Honda Gold Wings. When I say ride, I mean ride the wheels off of em. He's on his 3rd one now. The second one he traded in had 220,000 miles. The dealer kept it for a display to show others how long they go. He has never ran premium gas. Always puts the cheapest grade in. He's right at 90,000 on the bike he has now. He laughs at me for using premium all the time. But that's a Honda. I consider them to be the poor mans Cadillac. I ride the best so I put in the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelo

steelo Junior Member

My uncle has an OLD BMW motorcycle and only uses the cheap stuff...he has over 200k on it!

Honda’s are great bikes, I had a CBR 250 and I beat the snot out of the throttle and it kept asking for more. You’re right though…Goldwings really aren’t in the same class as Indians or HD’s…they’re just kind of another bike.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  14. aussiekeeper

aussiekeeper Bronze Member

Yea, the Premium thing is a hoax. Unless the temps get pretty high, regular or mid grade is more than fine to use. If you are going to really tax the engine ( race, hard pulls, trailering, very hot ambient temps ) Regular or Mid Grade is smart to use..... Don't sweat it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. steelo

steelo Junior Member

Well, if you drive something like a stock Corolla, yes 93 octane will do you no good. However with higher compression engines, like in the Scout 60 the manual recommends it for a reason.

• Like Like x 1