DynoJet's Power Vision CX Flash Tuner

Discussion in 'Thunder Stroke 111 Performance & Suspension' started by CraigB1960, Sep 28, 2016.

1. CraigB1960

CraigB1960 IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Since I don't want to step over other threads, thought it best to start a new one. This thread will be my perspective on DynoJet's Power Vision CX flash tuner.

Recently I read where DynoJet was releasing a flash tuner for our Indian motorcycles. This tuner will not only be able to flash our ECU's, but provide a data link to the computer for data logging and calibration evaluation so the tuner or end user is able to make changes to any of the parameters that control the engine's fuel and ignition system.

DynoJet is calling this device the Power Vision CX and with it comes their Power Core Suite of software that will provide support for creating and/or modifying the calibration of the ECU. Here is the brochure of the Power Vision CX.

The Power Vision CX will allow the tuner or user flash their Bosch ME17 ECU whether it is the Thunder Stroke 111engine, or the Scout, Scout 60, 2017 Polaris Octane, and even some Victory motorcycles.

A little background, back in the 2000's I spent a lot of time tuning Harley Davidson's Delphi ECU for hi-performance applications. I've used DynoJet's 250(i) dynos with several flash tuners and fuel modifier: SERT, MasterTune TTS, and DynoJet Power Command to name a few. Also tuned without a dyno using tools like V-Tune and put several Zipper's ThunderMax on bikes. When I read that DynoJet was getting ready to release a tuner for our bikes, I was a little excited to say the least. I reached out to DynoJet and volunteered to beta test their unit and to my surprise they sent me a unit to evaluate.

Old age seems to have taken its toll on me, in that I've forgotten more than I remember. Thankfully, the team members of the Power Vision CX have been very helpful getting me up and running.

One note I cannot stress enough, beta testing of an ECU flash tuner on your bike is not for the faint of heart. I'm willing to find and report problems so that the production product when released will be stable and safe to use.

My first mis-conception was that this Power Vision CX (PVCX) was functionally the same as their Power Vision for HD (Delphi ECU), it is not. There is no Autotune or Target Tune with the PVCX. What it does do is give us the ability to read and backup our current ECU eprom, which contains your current calibration and back this file up. The user can then modify this calibration through the use of their Power Core Suite, namely C3 module. This modified calibration can then be loaded back in your ECU. You can also load calibrations developed by others, such as DynoJet and FuelmotoUSA that is tailored to higher performance stock or modified with certain performance components.

This provides us (Indian owners) with the freedom to pick and choose performance calibrations for our bikes. We also have the ability to make corrections and adjust parameters such as rev limit, speed limit, fly-by-wire throttle response, etc. In fact we have full access to the ECU.

The unit also serves as a data gateway to a computer running C3 module so that it can collect real-time data, up to 25 channels, as you are operating the bike under real world conditions. With that data you can use the WinPEP 8 Data Center software module to make your modifications easily.

I plan to update this thread as I gain more experience with the software/hardware. I also created a Blog "My Indian Roadmaster" which will describe this testing as well as other performance additions I make to my bike. So feel free to follow along on my blog and make comments if you like. Just remember that I am not a vender, I have nothing to sell or provide. I am doing this cause I was will to test this on my own personal Indian bike.

I also have no affiliation with DynoJet or any tuner at this point in my life. Simply just a retired bored Electrical Engineer (PE) that wants his bike to run and performance the very best its configuration will allow.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. CraigB1960

I received my Power Vision CX (PVCX) last Saturday. I paired the PVCX with my Indian Roadmaster by connecting the PVCX unit to the diagnostic port located under the left side panel. After it paired successfully, I updated the firmware of the unit with DynoJet's Power Core Suite. This was necessary so that I could retrieve my current ECU calibration. Note, I have to go through extra steps being in beta phase at this moment. Many of the steps I do now should not be required on a production unit.

After the firmware upgrade, I connected the PVCX to the bike and pressed the button to retrieve the current ECU calibration. You must have the bike's power on and the ignition kill switch on. This process can take-up to 15 minutes and results in a "xxxx.stk" file of 1Mb in size stored on the PVCX.

I then connected the PVCX to the laptop (I'm running a fresh install of Window 10 with all current updates applied) and started up the DynoJet Power Core Suite. I ran the C3 module, which connected to the PVCX and saved a backup copy of the current files stored in the unit. This happens overtime you connect to the the C3 module insuring you will always have a backup to fall back to if needed.

At this point, the C3 module generates a tree structure of the current calibration as well as uploading from the DynoJet's server the matching "xxx.stk" configuration file. Since mine is stock, I simply named this calibration "roadmasterstock.djt" and saved to the hard disk.

DynoJet provided me with a custom tune they created for a Indian stock Chief that had the same original calibration as mine does. I decided to load that map since it improves on the target AFR's as well as the VE tables, rev limit, speed limits.

Loading calibration files is as easy as dropping these files on the mounted PVCX drive under Windows Explorer. These "xxxx.djt" files are very small, 1k and 4k so far and only contain the changes you make for the tables displayed in the tree when running the C3 module. The main file remains the "xxx.stk" file which must also be on your PVCX device.

The cool thing is you can have many different calibrations loaded on the PVCX and select which one you want to load at the time of re-flashing. This provides a convenient means of comparing different calibrations or perhaps having several different calibrations that address certain driving conditions. Off the top of my head I can think of two. One might be a reduced timing calibration so if you are forced to fill up with low octane gasoline and the second might be a richer tune if you will be running in high heat...such as we have here in Arizona.

So, yesterday after reviewing the changes that DynoJet made to the stock configuration I decided to load that in my ECU. The process is very simple, just connect the PVCX unit to the diagnostic port, power on the bike, navigate to the ECU menu and select the calibration you wish to load. The device will ask to confirm, once you do, the unit takes about 7 minutes to load. The whole process is displayed in real-time with a progress bar.

Since I took my catalytic converter out of my header pipe yesterday and reinstalled the exhaust, I'm looking forward to taking the bike out today to see how the tune is.

So far, super easy to use this flash tuner. As I gain more experience, I will post my thoughts.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. nickespi

nickespi Junior Member

Subscribed and super jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cmoalem

cmoalem Member

nice!

but what does "pairing" mean? Is the device then "locked" to your VCM so that you cannot use it on another VCM (unless you revert to stock calibration or so, similar to e.g. a flashpaq) ???

• Like Like x 1
  5. TedMan

TedMan Member

Excellent. Looking forward to your testing. Do you or Dynojet know whether Indian/Polaris can detect whether one has replaced, say, OEM Stage one flash with a stage one flash from e.g. Fuel Moto, and then before taking the bike in for warranty work, one switches back to the saved OEM flash? I would be very curious, as this will definitely impact warranty.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TedMan

TedMan Member

Outstanding! Bring it on.

7. CraigB1960

Pairing means the PVCX is locked to your ECU for all tuning operations from that point forward....even if you revert back to the stock calibration.

I am not sure if the PVCX will provide data logging and displaying of data on other bikes after pairing as the Power Vision for HD does. Typically flash tuners do allow that even after pairing. It is something I will ask.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. CraigB1960

I learned today that the target release date for the Power Vision CX is October 17, perhaps with the Scout version releasing a little earlier. The retail target price is $399.99.

There are some nuances DynoJet is working through with the way the ECU matches calibration files, so hopefully it might be sooner than later. I am just happy that DynoJet has taken this on. It puts in our hands a tool that the HD crowd has had for a very long time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fuelmoto

fuelmoto Junior Member Supporting Vendor

You can read & clear DTC's and read the ECM calibration on other Bosch ECU equipped Polaris models, however the device cannot log a bike its not paired to. PV-CX makes various changes to the binary and OS when a .dte Dynojet specific tune is flashed to the ECU, this includes turning on various bits and PID's on the databus.

• Like Like x 4
  10. CraigB1960

That makes perfect sense and explains the reason I did not get the four data values displayed on the PVCX panel until after I flashed the ECM with the new calibration (only the RPM).

Thanks for clarifying this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ndncowboy

ndncowboy Gold Member

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Question. This pairing that has to be done, is that totally above and beyond other pairings like phones and headsets? And those won't be affected in any way?

12. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

Excellent discussion here.

One question however. With the ECU on BMW motorcycles, only a finite number of ECU re-flashes can be done to any specific bikes ECU. Is this the case with the Indian's unit? Need to find that out before a bikes ECU goes Tits up from too many re-flashes.............Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CraigB1960

Yes, has nothing to do with bluetooth pairing.

The flash tuner when physically connected via cable to the diagnostic port, to be fully useful, it has to be "married/paired" to your ECU, This will allow it to be able to read and write calibration tunes. This pairing just means that particular PVCX knows your ECU and is locked to that ECU.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. joescian

joescian Member

How many you planning to do 10000++ EProms are good for many more flashes than you r likely to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CraigB1960

I have not seen the spec's on the EPROM used in the Bosch ME17, however if we take a conservative number for the EPROM, I would place that at 100k write cycles.

No limit to the number of re-flashes the PVCX can perform.

• Like Like x 2