Dropped the bike - I need a steering lock light.

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Dr.Shifty, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Dr.Shifty

Dr.Shifty Member

I don't use the steering lock much but this morning I parked in a public multi-level place in the city and thought it wise to lock up. I'd pulled into a quiet corner where I could take off easily, flowing to the left.

When I got back to the bike I forgot I'd locked the steering. I pulled out to the left and as I tried to straighten up the bike took over and landed on its right side. :(

Only slight damage - scrape on bottom pipe, bent front brake lever, and the foot brake pedal got shoved upwards and needed a good kick to settle it back into normal position.

So I rode home thinking of how to set up a microswitch to give me a steering lock warning light. There's not much room in there. I am so used to having the steering lock incorporated into a steering head ignition switch that my brain just doesn't want to make the change.

2. Dog gone

Dog gone Diamond Member

Let it rain on the brain, if you don’t use it but once a year you won’t remember. But on the occasion that you do (park on a weird angle) to remind you of today’s event. You’ve not said what bike you have, plus it’s not in your avatar info. Tuff luck. You mentioned your age, did you need help lifting the bike back up? Now you have insurance if you want to leave the key at home and park somewhere everyone can see your (????????). Or get a lock for your helmet and strap it to the handle bars and make it hard for somebody to take it or same when you want to lock it use the helmet on the bars to remind you. 68 yrs young; your mind is not all gone yet. Good luck in the future. Sorry for the misfortune. “Better days ahead”. Ron. PS: stop buying drugs in a high crime area.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dr.Shifty

Dr.Shifty Member

The bike is a Scout.
    There was a kind lady who helped me get the bike up. She was younger than me. And more concerned.
    My brain is older than some other parts of me. :)

With your encouragement I have decided to find a new dealer. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dr.Shifty

Dr.Shifty Member

And the twinge in my right ankle is now a full blown sprain. Pain, swelling, probably bruising tomorrow. I'm all strapped up and smelling of Voltaren gel. :(

5. dieselgman

dieselgman IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Get healed up quickly! Make a mental checklist when checking your bike over each time prior to jumping on... every time.

i.e. precheck
    condition of tires/wheels and visible fasteners.
    any leaks or discoloration on ground or around engine
    general condition of exposed cabling and wiring and lighting.
    anything at all visibly out-of-the-ordinary
    I also "feel" the brakes and clutch and steering once astride.

I bet the little spill itself will help with the memory. This will also help with other dangerous things that could happen to you (if you overlook this step taken by well-seasoned and safe riders). Ride safe!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. dieselgman

dieselgman IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

I know the feeling... I dropped my Chieftain on an incline in front of some onlookers, -embarrassing- and I am also in my 60's (not as spry as I used to be). Had a real struggle lifting the bike - but managed it before accepting help from the women! ;)

7. Chefantone

Chefantone Junior Member

Duct tape. If you need reminders for uncommon actions, attach a piece of duct tape to an item as a reminder. In this case, the ignition switch. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hatt

Hatt Diamond Member

@dieselgman has the only true solution to almost everything thing like this..
    It should always be performed, regardless of change of routine..
    Always perform preflight checks! Get in that habit, and duct tape, switches and other reminders are not needed.

Heal up my man!
    Glad it's not worse for ya!

9. jdmatthew

jdmatthew IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Glad it wasn't more serious. In thinking this over, I realize that I always grab the front brake and straighten up the bars a bit before I get on, so it has never been an issue with me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. RagtopFan

RagtopFan Junior Member

This is totally something I would do as I don't use the steering lock because it is not necessary for the places I park but there will be some time that I determine I should lock it and will forget as well. Like JD, I always grab the front brake and straighten the front end before hitting the starter. Locking the fork really isn't something I want to make part of a routine so I like the tape over the ignition button as a reminder or even a small label that says "Steering Locked?". I would opt for a small piece of painters tape so it did not leave residue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dog gone

Dog gone Diamond Member

Dr.Shifty......please do not get hooked on opioids during the recovery. Now nowhere did I mention you should change dealers or offer up encouragement to do so! Humor can offset spills like this and make life interesting,and you get to meet new people. And you did! Wow! The sprain will soon be gone and the odor you mentioned also. And I’m sure the girl will head home soon too! So keep the leg up for a bit and maybe an ice pak, your story has hurt me and some old wounds are acting up again so here’s the plan Write two scripts one for you and one for me; I’m good with say 200/ 20mg Percocet's and make one for yourself. We will both be fine soon. Do you now qualify for a Handicap motorcycle license plate? Get out and ride soon my friend.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. wheelman1857

wheelman1857 Junior Member

CDH here, I very seldom lock the forks. But one thing I do every time I get on, is to straighten up the front end. By getting into that habit, the few times I did lock, you hear this , Damn forgot to unlock the forks, a couple more words as I get back off to unlock them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Captchip40

Captchip40 Junior Member

I never lock the forks but have heard of many people who have done the same thing. When I put down a kickstand plate for use in areas of soft footing I have a piece of colored yarn attached to it. It serves two purposes: I can retrieve it without getting off the bike and reminds me it's there and not driving away forgetting it. I simply wrap one end of the yard around the hand grip and clutch. Maybe you could so the same when using the fork locks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Racepres

Racepres Junior Member

??? I don't even Know [Care] if the Vintage Has a Steering lock..
    Has everything else.. I told the Bitter Half that I'm sure there is a Golf Tee on it somewhere to Hold yer Balls while yer Driving!!!!
    If My Shovelhead didn't have it...I'm gonna have to learn how to use it!!!:rolleyes:
    ie Imagine my surprise whan I discovered [eventually] that it won't Start in Gear. Which is Prolly a good Thing... since it don't Quit "starting" when ya release the Button!!!!!

15. Mikehell

Mikehell Silver Member

Scouts have a steering lock now??? My 2015 doesn't!!