Dealer dis...

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by Sheepdog, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Junior Member

I have a good friend who is in the market for a new bike. I encouraged him to test ride everything that interested him before making a final decision. He was at a Harley dealership yesterday, test rode 4 different models. While talking to the sales rep he remarked that he is trying out everything before making a decision. The next words out of the salesman's mouth was "Don't buy an Indian, they will be out of business in 2 years."

WTF are they that afraid of the tribe???

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. anderson930

anderson930 Junior Member

I have a buddy who does a lot of back and forth from FL to MA, so puts a lot of miles on his bikes quickly. Not for nothing but he's been through 4 brand new Harleys in the past 3 years because they all come up with issues that deadline the bike or just make them too unreliable for his needs. Only reason he didn't get the Dark Horse he really wanted 2 Harleys ago --- Harley is more lenient in giving out loans than Indian. So as he puts it, he's stuck with the suck.

Nothing is more American than good competition but right now, HD should be very afraid.

3. Damned Yankee

Damned Yankee Junior Member

In my experience, on both sides of the sales floor, most salesmen will say anything to close the sale. His comment was a sure sign of desperation to make a sale. A bad salesman bad mouths the competition, a good salesman highlights his products quality and features.
    Old joke: How do you know a salesman is lying? His lips are moving.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  4. vintage

vintage Senior Member

If the salesman has to say that to sell a Harley, then it sounds like he'll be out if a job in 2 months.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

On the loan statement..................does Polaris have an in - house finance company like HD has?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Well just play Devils Advocate here for 30 seconds...............
    Indian folded many times since 1953. Start - ups, Enfields rebadged, ect. Then here comes the Victory deal. The handwriting is on the wall and the recipe is in full cook mode for another fall............possibly.............but i suppose that goes for anybody. Then you look at HD. Love it or not, its been steady since 1903. Its had bumps along the way but its still there. Same HQ's.
    So to those on the fence about Indian vs Harley, comments like this sales guy did could make sense to someone. Not to us obviously but to many out of the loop. Its wrong to totally bash competition, I agree, but many first time buyers to the v - twin world don't know their ass from a shotgun barrel at times and this salesperson can smell blood like a shark. I'd tell him to cool that statement if I were his head honcho. Just sell bikes and hawk the good stuff. Like a dealer network and much better customer service. Indian has a ton of good selling points also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. anderson930

anderson930 Junior Member

I don't think so. I didn't get a loan on mine so I'm really not sure how they operate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

That does make a difference on speed ..............quicker approval at times. I would think Polaris does. Not all those ATV riders can plunk out big $$. Ever seen what those damn Razors sell for ?

9. Salvelinus Fontinalis

Salvelinus Fontinalis Member

I don't see how in-house loans are that big of a deal. If I want a loan on something I make a phone call to my bank and walk into the business pre-approved. Takes about 30 mins and I don't even have to leave the house beforehand. If someone's credit is so bad that he is having trouble with the financial aspects, he probably shouldn't be looking at $20k plus motorcycles in the first place. Just sayin. . .

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hatt

Hatt Gold Member

And typically, in house financing is not the better option....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. KBeaumont

KBeaumont Junior Member

When I bought my 60 I checked out the in house financing. The finance officer told me that I could get a better deal from my credit union. And she was right it was about $20 cheaper a month then Polaris was offering.

12. Basshole

Basshole Gold Member

Isn't HD's in house financing saddled with a ton of defaulted loans?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Just more convenient for buyers who do finance and easier for the dealer as its usually a quicker reply time. Thats all. Then you may or may not get future incentives by the in - house finance system to KEEP you in the fold.
    Also...........you sound like you are somewhat gold plated and have great credit. Many do not. I cannot begin to even tell you of the times 1%'ers financed bikes with grandma as the co - signer and they shook down 2nd cousins and relatives that you see only at funerals and will meetings that that were 'coerced' into helping out with down payments. In other words, a 400 beacon score would be outstanding for these guys. So in - house or bank shopping by the finance manager becomes real work here. Military credit unions are famous for low rates and quick approval. And people such as yourself that do have good credit are good customers as the dealer does not have to worry about getting you on the road. Even if you do the legwork beforehand which usually results in a cheaper and better APR or rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ForPop

ForPop Junior Member

He's an insecure salesman, who works on a commission. Doesn't surprise me one iota. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Damned Yankee

Damned Yankee Junior Member

Many, many moons ago, I was recently divorced and bad credit, HD in house was the only one who would approve me ( with sky high interest rate). Like Cheec and Chong's "Only $50 down, $50 a month for 50 YEARS!!!!" Taking a good friend's advice, I didn't do it as bad as I wanted a bike. I'm sure they prey on those who think they are desperate like I was. Happy ending, working with my credit union and diligently working to repair my credit, had a nice Victory in 6 months.