Are the Polaris Indians Here for the Long Haul

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by VicTim, Apr 15, 2017.

1. VicTim

VicTim Junior Member

I think these Polaris Indians will be around for a long time and continue to grow. I think Polaris has done right by the brand with their styling, comfort and performance. There will probably be some missteps along the way as there should be. Indian doesn't have to be HD in order to survive.
    As for the Victories, I'm sure they would still be going if Polaris didn't buy and restart the Indian brand. Unfortunately being a great or even better bike isn't enough it takes a brand. I feel it's next to impossible to develop a new brand in some markets, heavyweight cruisers being one of them.

How do you feel? Will Indian make it or is this just a rehash of past failures.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Aargow

Aargow Senior Member

Yes, I think they will be around for a long time and continue to gain market share

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  3. rick6416

rick6416 Junior Member

I think if they keep building these bikes, the way they are, they're here for the long haul. I honestly feel if you look at the Indian line up with an open mind there's no contest.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  4. J Backlund

J Backlund Bronze Member

If Polaris can't make Indian a continuing success, nobody can.

I've been bitching a lot about the brand lately on this board, but that has nothing to do with my perception that Indian is a solid, quality, company with a great product. I just wish they would come down off their high horse a bit (a BIG bit!) with their parts and service prices.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 4
  5. scotty

scotty Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster

If you ask some on this forum - they (Polaris/Indian) are already condemned, damned and blasphemous :eek:- these fart knockers have nothing better to do, but come here to complain so they can get some form of human contact (albeit negative):p

but for most of us - we have no doubt they (Polaris/Indian) have done a fantastic job of reviving the Indian Heritage so far, and are continuing to make great strides to improving it. ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. reinie

reinie Bronze Member

I can't speak for the rest on here but I'm mighty happy with my 2015 Springfield Blue & Ivory Cream Chieftain.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. drvrkat

drvrkat Junior Member

How about bike prices???

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

8. geewago

geewago Member

Ask me 10 years from now. I still wont know, I'll just have a better idea.

REMEMBER:

Montgomery Wards
    Bethlehem Steel
    Pan Am Airlines
    E F Hutton
    General Foods
    TWA Airlines
    MCI
    Woolworths
    Eastern Airlines
    Delorean
    Oliver Tractors
    Studebaker
    Diamond T Trucks
    Victory Motorcycles
    Minneapolis Moline Tractors

& on & on the list could go.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. VicTim

VicTim Junior Member

I see your point and you'll soon be able to add Sears to that list. I think at this time things are different for Indian. They are currently growing very quickly in an environment where growth is stagnant, look at HD they'll be lucky just to keep their market share. Also, this time there us a clearer vision for the company with the capital and expetise to make it happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. J Backlund

J Backlund Bronze Member

They're expensive, but I think the bikes themselves are not overpriced, at least until they break that magic (to me) $25,000 point, that's about where I see seriously diminishing returns for the added expense (for this type of machine that is). However, the level of detail quality in my Vintage, as well as my now-gone Classic, is impressive by any standard, and higher cost is reasonable and justified.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Member

I think Polaris has the best chance of making Indian work, since the original Springfield Indians.

These engines aren't S&S Harley clones. They have been engineered from scratch, and they're damn good. This is new life being breathed into the brand, and the motorcycle world has noticed.

They have successfully blended newer technologies with classic styling, and it just plain works, and works well. These are very attractive, very mechanically solid machines.

If they stay the course, I believe America's first motorcycle brand can be #1 again.

Will they? Time will tell.

I'm really excited for the future though.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  12. drvrkat

drvrkat Junior Member

I agree! However I'm wanting a Chieftain and would like a certain custom color and that additional expense makes it tough!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

13. 68RR

68RR Junior Member

I sure hope so too. I couldn't be any happier with my '17 Scout.

14. reinie

reinie Bronze Member

I hope so too. Too much negativity everywhere and does no good.

15. Geronimo

Geronimo Senior Member

Those are some giants that went under and there's many more once iconic, huge American and international brands that are now relegated to the history books when they once seemed unstoppable. Many others would have went under but were bought out or bailed out. So I can't guarantee Indian or Polaris will be around 10, 20, or 30 years from now, but I think they will and here is why. Indian Motorcycles is an incredibly fascinating story. Even when they weren't making bikes or were mere rebadged imports, that mystique has followed the name, and the classics always drew admirers at ralleys and bike shows. Irrelevant of what happens in the future, they will remain one of (arguably THE) pioneering name in motorcycling, and thats a history people will always want a connection to. Motorcyclists tend to be a nostalgic bunch and that will help. Whether this incarnation survives depends on how Polaris manages the brand. They have made some missteps, but I'm convinced overall they are on the right course.

There will certainly be challenges ahead. What if battery technology improves to the point electric vehicles are preferred and the EPA says no more internal combustion engines after 2032 or something? That sounds like a sci-fi year, but we are actually only 15 short years away. Will Indian be able to sell against cheaper (presumably) Hondas and Yamahas when a large part of their heritage appeal and charisma has been legislated away? Will Polaris as a whole fold for being too slow to adapt to the new power sports industry and not having the resources of competitors like Yamaha? Or perhaps global warming will cause a shortage of resources and toys like motorcycles will be a thing of the past, the new middle class aspiration is clean drinkable water? Or perhaps WWIII or a meteorite will end humanity and there will be no more motorcycles or anything ever again. Any of that could all happen. I think the future will not be as extreme as any of that, though. For now, enjoy the Indians we have.

(Wow, I kinda went off on a crazy tangent once I really got thinking about it).

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1