Any downside to full synthetic oil in TS111

Discussion in 'Indian Roadmaster' started by Bow1340, May 17, 2017.

1. Bow1340

Bow1340 Member

Now that Amsoil (and maybe others) has the exact spec 20w-40 weight full synthetic oil available for our big Indians I am considering making the switch. I know from reading our forum that there are many benefits members have realized from running full synthetic...primarily cooler running engines, smoother shifting, and quieter engine/valvetrain. The only possible downside I have heard is a few posts here and there mention some clutch slippage. Couple dealers I have asked abot running full syn mentioned the clutch concern as well.

The preponderance of evidence here on our site seems to indicate "go for it". My lingering question is if this is such a good thing for our bikes why does Indian/Polaris not offer full syn 20w-40? I can't believe that they would pass up the opportunity to gouge us $20 a quart for Indian branded full synthetic oil unless there is some valid reason. Open to firsthand experiences, thoughts, and opinions.....

Thanks

2. geewago

geewago Member

I run nothing else. Car and bike. No downside. Just upside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 17NDNSTL

17NDNSTL Bronze Member

I believe they do. At my 500, I ask for it and the Shop Foreman said do it BUT wait until next change.

4. Dean E

Dean E Bronze Member

I have been using Amsoil in my RM for 20K now. Most clutch slippage issues are from mechanics not adjusting the cable correctly. This was the case on mine. The owners manual gives a good indication of what you will see on a good clutch cable adjustment. There needs to be about .5 to 1 mm of slop on the end of the clutch cable lever. If that slop is taken out you will get slippage.

The only down side is the flak you will get from some of the forum members for bringing up another oil thread. To me, I can get a full synthetic oil for cheaper than what Indian sells their semi synthetic stuff for. The bike may run a bit cooler but not enough for me to brag about. There is definitely a difference in the shifting quality. Finding neutral is much easier on the full synthetics. Dean

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MikeMPGH

MikeMPGH Bronze Member

I will be using it next change. Always used full syn in previous makes with no issues. And yes, I experienced quieter shifting and slightly less noise and heat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rodhotter

rodhotter Senior Member

most "full synthetic" oils Amsoil included are just group III highly refined CRUDE oil since 1999 when the advertising council changed the definition of a synthetic!!

7. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

So meanwhile Amsoil gouges with a rebranded oil that they buy and get you into their 'distributorship' if you'd like.

A long time back, like 8 years ago, Consumer Reports did a several year long test on synthetic, semi synthetic, and conventional oil on taxi fleets. They used the Ford 5.0 (302) V8. Hundreds of vehicles involved. The end result was that conventional held up just as good as the pure synthetics did. Only in extreme situations like Saudi Arabian desert for example or the area north of the Artic Circle would synthetics be recommended because of the intiial flow on starting and synthetics ability to retain a lot of heat. But these are cars. So are motorcycles different? Oils now are pretty damn good.
    Enter piece of mind and placebo effect. I am guilty there and use 20/50 Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil sold at WalMart. I have used Valvoline T4 full synthetic 20/50 also and its less money. So do what you must to keep your brain cells tricked into believing that your bike will be OK. Like I said...........guilty here.
    There was a thread on some forum where Amsoil buys their oil from.............anybody know?

And seeing what people do in terms of oil changes or lack of oil changes is another story. Have seen NO oil changes in Harleys with well over 25K miles on them and they still run. Go to a third world country and see 20K oil change intervals. Yet they mysteriously run. We baby our machines which is good. But i feel we are also in overkill mode with the oil issue. Anybody remember Triumpgs running with no oil filters whatsoever? Or VW Beetles?
    The oil mystery will never die. The rapture will come and go and the oil questions will remain unanswered.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Americal23

Americal23 11th Light Infantry Brigade

Well, if one is so inclined to visit AMSOIL website and read a mind numbing treatise on oil v. Synthetics then have at it. Oil threads are in abundance here for sure.

The reason I trust AMSOIL is that I have used it in the past. It is capable of extended service intervals and with a recycle filter system, is fully capable of some seriously long intervals.

Though Polaris would never recommend extended service intervals, they have accepted the AMSOIL spec and in fact, some dealers carry it in stock "Chesapeake Indian" to name one.

I don't know who makes Indian Oil. I disagree that AMSOIL in just highly refined fossil oil. It is indeed full synthetic. In the mean time, I'll hang my hat on full synthetic as marketed by AMSOIL, and yes, you get a member discount

9. rodhotter

rodhotter Senior Member

amsoil is said to blend their oils from base oils + add packs they find to suit their requirements. its still an above average oil even though they quietly quit using real synthetics in their blends. their refusal to answer any inquiries about base oils is like refusing a drunk test! they are guilty of using cheaper group III refined CRUDE oils now legally sold as "synthetic"

10. jdmatthew

jdmatthew IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

My understanding of the advantage of synthetic is not that it is better at lubricating, but that it lasts longer. In other words, you're fine using dino juice if you change it more often. However, my understanding is rather rudimentary. Oil change intervals used to be 3000 miles when most cars used regular oil, but with synthetics they seem to be much further apart. I used to own a VW bug that recommended oil changes every 1500 miles. Of course, it only had a mesh strainer, not a filter, which might have had something to do with it.

11. TigerGA

TigerGA Member

An oil discussion...more controversial than politics and religion. Here's my 2 cents: I challenge anyone to post an incident where an engine failed because of the brand of oil used (crickets...crickets...). I've read posts where people make such silly claims...my bike "seemed" to run cooler with brand Y, my butt dyno felt like the bike ran faster when I used brand X, etc. I guess when one buys oil at $15+ a quart, the mind wants to believe it provided some extraordinary benefit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster IndianMotorcycles.net Gold Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I wonder this also. Claims of perfect shifting seem impossible to me for a simple oil change. I have tried different oils and I couldn't tell them apart.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Americal23

Indeed the proof is in longevity. Some here are on Dino and some on full syn. As our forum matures and riders rack up some serious miles, I'm sure we will read what oils worked and which didnt. No argument here. I would consider myself very fortunate if my 111 lasts 100k miles on full synthetic with the recommeneed change interval
    Edit: if I live that long:p

14. Americal23

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bow1340

Bow1340 Member

Believe me I have been around this and other forums long enough that I know I don't want to be the one to start another worthless oil thread. That is why I posed the question not so much as is this brand or type of oil better than that, but just trying to understand why mother Polaris seems to be steering clear of full synthetic when there is obviously an eager market willing to pay for it for its real or imagined benefits.