Acts of God

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jonscout, May 19, 2017 at 11:41 AM.

1. Jonscout

Jonscout Junior Member

Big storm last night and split neighbors tree onto my yard. Bounced a little off the hood of my truck. My insurance said no problem; pay $100 deductible and we will fix it. I told neighbors and they said "sorry "act of God". Basically, FU. I called them assholes and started pitching branches I trimmed from my property into theirs. They called the police. Before it was all over (city cleaned up mess), 3 police and the captain showed up. And it will still cost me, even if I tried to sue. No offense to any insurance people, but insurance sucks for honest people. We get screwed while you take our money.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

I don't get why anyone wants to be a jerk for the sake of being a jerk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Had same thing in FL years ago when a hurricane passed across the state. High winds and ripped shingles off my neighbors house and scratched my Diahatsu Rocky hood. They said to 'pound sand' and have not talked to them since the mid 90s in FL. So I paid deduct. So I looked at similar cases and guess what? This is why you have insurance and winds, hurricanes, tornadoes, and the likes of are not the responsibility of the homeowners that have a tree that splits. Or shingles that come off.

I am sure you would do the same. And post a thread damning them for asking to cover your deduct. Just pay it, move on and forget about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gspell68

gspell68 Junior Member

Cut the tree down on Sunday afternoon.
    Tell 'em you went to church that morning and God told you to...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Junior Member

Acts of God are just that, nobody's fault. In Tn, if the tree crosses a property line, what part of the tree that is on your property is yours, including what it damaged.

Cleaned up many a tree that have fell on my property over the years, never expected neighbors to do that for me or pay for my damage.

Only time I know where someone could be found at fault is if you sent them a registered letter informing them a tree is considered dangerous and likely to harm your property unless removed. Done that a few times. Not sure if it would hold up in court but that is how Tn code makes you think how it would work.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Shuje Sunge

Shuje Sunge Super Moderator Staff Member Moderating

True.

7. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Member

It's a control thing. In their little screwed up mind that kind of response makes them somebody.

Come to think about.... I'm at work.................. where is my boss?

8. Bwana6

Bwana6 Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Please save emotions and adrenaline for the following...............
    1. IRS note attached to the door handle
    2. Cancer screening a week ago that the doctor wants to go over with you WITH your pastor and family
    3. Motorcycle on its side and some blue haired woman driving away in a parking lot
    4. When the wife says, 'I want a small divorce'
    5. When some dumbass at the county clerks office did not register your paid ticket 3 years ago and the officer asks you during a traffic stop if you have anything that will 'poke or jab him on you'
    6. And lastly..........3:22 AM and the phone rings............caller says he is the hospital chaplain at blah blah hospital and could you come over ASAP

Other than that..........its all small stuff i guess. I guess.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Member

People use this "Act of God: thing for all sorts of things.

Here's the truth as I understand it: God does not create floods that kill people, He does not push a tree over on a truck to create drama and He doesn't give someone dementia. He does allow these things to happen but he doesn't create them.

I know, I know.......... your question to me is why he allows these things to happen. I can only answer this by the following from His word: (My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts)

That's it. I hope I don't start a argument here.... it was never my intention..... just wanted to pass on the truth as I see it.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. jakeylee

jakeylee Member

Thank God your motorsickle wasn't harmed. This is why we have insurance... and an "Off-Topic Discussion" section of these fine forums.

11. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

I was in the home Depot parking lot today, pulled forward past a spot I was going to back into, started to back up and a middle aged guy in an suv swings in head first. I left home a note to make sure he pays better attention next time. Nothing more.

Obviously he's better than everyone else. But this happens all the time around here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RBinTEX

RBinTEX Platinum Member

What if the tree was on your property and damaged your truck?
    Who would pay the deductible on your insurance then?

Maybe your neighbor should have offered, it would have given the opportunity to gracefully decline... either way you pay your own deductible. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. RBinTEX

RBinTEX Platinum Member

I don't know how things are in Florida, but no one backs into a parking place on any parking lots that are lined and angled for head in parking, you would have been in the wrong where I live... It is a ticket-able misdemeanor if the parking places are angled for parking.

I fail to see what kind of advantage you would have gained by backing into a parking place where everyone else parks head in like the man did that got "your" parking place! Is backing in, a part of the normal parking in the Home Depot parking lots?

I'm not trying to upset you, but how was he to know you were going to back into a parking place, he might have thought since you were actually 'passed' that parking area that you were waiting on something else?~~~~

If your Home Depot does not have angled parking spaces, maybe he was in the wrong to get your place and really was inattentive.

A note to him was wise and you didn't confront him in person and create more than just a little anger on your part!
    Good on you for that! :):)

14. Super Jute

Super Jute Junior Member

From the Pic that tree was rotten so it is not act of GOD . It is Negligence on Their Part but $100.00 IMOP worth it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. chiefdano8

chiefdano8 Senior Member

I don't know anyone who backs into an angled spot. These were not angled and anyone with a large truck in a tight parking lot knows backing in is way easier than pulling in, as is when Leaving the space, it is easier to pull out than back out. Home depot has notoriously small parking lanes here as well.

He was just better than the every one else in the world, that's all. I also never claimed it was "my" space... Odd comment