2017 Victory Octane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NickJ, Feb 19, 2016.

1. V-Twin

V-Twin Senior Member

I think that is a possibility. I'm sure when Indian designed and built TS111, they developed big-bore kit, stage 2 cams, etc., all at the same time. Much like RoadMaster was designed first and bits taken off to release Chief first.

If I was Polaris, there is no way I will release the 130hp monster from day one. You want the investment in engine to last you 10 years. Meaning, release the detuned engine at the start at a good price. Penetrate the mass market. Sell volume.

Then, start releasing go fast bits. $500 for cams. $2,500 for Bigbore kit.

Not only that, there will be a point in Octane's future that factory will have to increase the output of the engine. A revised engine, if you will. Victory needs little of bit of wiggle room to be seen to extract more power from their engine at a later date.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mjw930

mjw930 Senior Member

Give it time, I'm sure the 1200cc product line will grow but they need to get bikes sold and a $10,500 middleweight cruiser is where the money is right now. Not a limited market share hooligan bike that competes directly with a Duc, Triumph or KTM. If you want a bike like that just buy one, why wait for Polaris to build it?

3. GBR

GBR Member

The scout and the octane, meh. With that written I do think the octane will grab sales from the scout. I test drove a scout during a demo. It felt like I was on a mini bike. It's performance was great out of the box.

The octane is built for a bigger rider imo. So for those that felt the scout was too cramped I wonder what the extra 1.6 inches of seat heigt will do. This review indicates that for those that don't want to supe up the engine they can still get a stock bike that can go fast fast Victory Octane – EXCLUSIVE FIRST RIDE <small class="subtitle">Victory’s new 1,200cc cruiser gets Indian Scout bones and a sporting twist.</small>

4. NorthernProducer

NorthernProducer Silver Member

Well...at my age, I'm not sure how much time I can afford to give Polaris...;) In the 50+ years I've been riding all types of motorcycles which includes riding for one of the Japanese big 4 factories many years ago, I have a good idea of how High Performance should look, sound and handle. My issue is the marketing of the Octane and how Polaris linked it to the P156. I anticipated something more than Polaris released. I'm not shy about putting something in the garage that has a good balance of horsepower and handling and my case, my Griso fills the bill. In the back of mind, I was hoping the Octane might be a great replacement for my Scout, but I just don't see that happening with the current iteration of the Octane. I hate to repeat this, but High Performance is not "cheap" and the price should reflect the higher quality parts (e.g. tires, brakes, hand/foot placement and controls, shocks and struts) that would in my mind should have been included in the Octane...if $10,500 won't get it, then raise the price as needed to cover the better parts.

BTW V-Twin...I really don't have an issue with the engine and believe it is the best part of the bike (just like the Scout). I wouldn't change a thing in that regard until the bike is upgraded in the areas mentioned above.

I'll keep watching to see what Polaris decides to do in their next release...I just hope they don't wait too long as I'm not sure how many years I have left to ride (getting old and dealing with military service connected issues). In the final analysis...life is good and I can't wait for my new Kimber to arrive in May!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. V-Twin

V-Twin Senior Member

Hey Producer, I guess Polaris is just following their 'success formula' with Octane. Decent bike at a reasonable price. I suspect, if Polaris did make 'Octane S', a performance focused model with adjustable this and that with better this and that, the bike might cost another $2k - $3k... Then would they sell as many bikes? I am not arguing with you. Just saying that Polaris Executives would be just thinking sales figures.

These bikes are too small for me. My comment was in response to people who wanted 130hp engine in Octane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rudy Smith

Rudy Smith flying down the road trying to loosen my load.

7. SaddleTramp

SaddleTramp Member

Get one while you can.